Quantcast

DHX Air on M3?

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I have the option of running either a DHX 5.0 Air or spring on my Intense M3.
Has anyone had any run-time on an airshock on this bike?
Is it worth it for the weight savings?
I live in the French Alps, so it will need to hold up to long descents...

Cheers in advance.

Damo

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
yeah i ride alot in the alps mate, and i have heard alot of bad heat up issues with the DHX air...

I think it only works ok if your light and a smooth rider, then its excellent...but the alps are hardcore..i love the gully run in les gets..:-)

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
go with the coil, as M3 is without the rear fender, mud, sand will get into the rear shock from the rear wheel. IMHO coil shock would be a better option.

Nov 17, 2004
Several of my team mates ran the fox air last year,two M3's and an astrixs, alot of race time and a ten day trip to Whistler in between,not one single issue with the shock.any one who hasn't used this shock shouldn't have an opinion and has no say.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Im thinking the general concensus here is that air is good for racing, but coil is better for long alpine runs where the shock will heat up...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Why would you swap out a shock for another with arguably lesser performance on the only run that counts? In that case, why not put road wheels on too? Its completely ridiculous, all for a minimal weight savings.

Go get a Ti spring for your DHX, and ride it.

AlberTop

Monkey
Nov 30, 2004
South
I have an M3 and I've used a DHX Air and a DHX Coil 5.0 with 450lbs Ti spring. I am heavy (180lbs) and I used both shocks on diferent trails. The DHX Air OK, but did not perform as good as the coil version on hard core trails with lots of big bumps, jumps and rocks. It just did not fill the same, but again I am heavy. Maybe with someone not as heavy it will perform better. The biggest advantage of the Air shock is with lite DH courses, were you can tune your air spring.

I am using the coil version...

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I have an M3 and I've used a DHX Air and a DHX Coil 5.0 with 450lbs Ti spring. I am heavy (180lbs) and I used both shocks on diferent trails. The DHX Air OK, but did not perform as good as the coil version on hard core trails with lots of big bumps, jumps and rocks. It just did not fill the same, but again I am heavy. Maybe with someone not as heavy it will perform better. The biggest advantage of the Air shock is with lite DH courses, were you can tune your air spring.

That's interesting, I am 160 and I use a 450 too. We may be at the far reaches of that spring, though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

hate to break it to ya buddy, 180 lbs ain't that heavy... unless you're 4 feet tall. :weee: