Quantcast

DHX 5.0 Problems/ Propedal Removal

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
My dhx 5 is leaking oil, not out of the normal seal area but near the resivor. There are oil marks showing up every ride in the black area between the propedal knob and the actual resivor. The oil is then running down onto the spring threads. It does not look like it is leaking from the propedal knob because there is a dry gap on top between the oil and the propedal knob. It is almost like there is a microscopic crack in the resivor area thst the oil seeps out when riding.

Also is it possible to completly remove the propedal feature from the shock so it works more like a marzocchi roco.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Try talking to CORTINA about their shim stacks! They may be able to do that, I have a MANITOU that has no pro pedal and the bike actually sticks on the ground over the small stuff????

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
My dhx 5

Also is it possible to completly remove the propedal feature from the shock so it works more like a marzocchi roco.
Buy a Roco, problem with propedal solved. Really though, why have a DHX 5.0 and want to remove what makes it the 5.0? If you want it to work like a Roco, just go get a roco and sell your DHX

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Buy a Roco, problem with propedal solved. Really though, why have a DHX 5.0 and want to remove what makes it the 5.0? If you want it to work like a Roco, just go get a roco and sell your DHX

I would if i could, the problem is money, I just finished building my new bike and I'm flat broke, I only used the 5.0 because I had it lying around. Does anybody have any idea about the oil leak.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
I might be able to help you out with that one, Buddy just upgraded toa DHX, Ill have to check the exact Specs, I will PM you with the info if its the right size, i know he wants to sell it on ebay as it is

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
They say that about everything. I wish shocks were more like industrial pistons that are actually user serviceable and rebuildable with service parts.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
It is possible to put the pp in another lighter lowspeed-compression-range by changing the springrate on the spring at the port to the reservoir. I´ve had it done with my past dhx-shoxs. Works great.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
It is possible to put the pp in another lighter lowspeed-compression-range by changing the springrate on the spring at the port to the reservoir. I´ve had it done with my past dhx-shoxs. Works great.
How did you do that?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Nobody knows anything about the oil leak. The oil is showing up in the red circled area and a little above the red circled area.
Ok, good pic by the way, i have seen this one twice now, can i ask how old the shock is? The two i have seen came down to having a void in the metal, Fox replaced the two that we sent in, but they were less than a year old.

Reason rear shock are not serviced in the shop is due to the Nitrogen charge that is put in when it is rebuilt, thats is what keeps the shock oil from foaming as it works. There isnt any shops with the capability of adding the Nit charge, thats the part a shock needs to be sent out, thats all. Other than that, a rear shock is a piston, in a tube with poil in it.

Go talk to a shop, have them call fox for ya, if it isnt too old hopefully Fox will replace it for ya, good luck on it

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
there is no nitrogen in the dhx, just air. once you let the air out of the schrader valve you can take the shock apart easily. rebuilding it is very simple, but i guess fox would rather not tell anyone how to do it and service the shocks themselves to avoid less than mechanically inclined riders from causing more damage and more service calls. too many people still don't know how to lube the dust seals on a boXXer so maybe it's a good idea that rear shock manufacturers don't disclose how to service their products.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Ok, good pic by the way, i have seen this one twice now, can i ask how old the shock is? The two i have seen came down to having a void in the metal, Fox replaced the two that we sent in, but they were less than a year old.

Reason rear shock are not serviced in the shop is due to the Nitrogen charge that is put in when it is rebuilt, thats is what keeps the shock oil from foaming as it works. There isnt any shops with the capability of adding the Nit charge, thats the part a shock needs to be sent out, thats all. Other than that, a rear shock is a piston, in a tube with poil in it.

Go talk to a shop, have them call fox for ya, if it isnt too old hopefully Fox will replace it for ya, good luck on it
I think it is a 2006 shock. It was just serviced by fox, I've only been riding it for 2 weeks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
there is no nitrogen in the dhx, just air. once you let the air out of the schrader valve you can take the shock apart easily. rebuilding it is very simple, but i guess fox would rather not tell anyone how to do it and service the shocks themselves to avoid less than mechanically inclined riders from causing more damage and more service calls. too many people still don't know how to lube the dust seals on a boXXer so maybe it's a good idea that rear shock manufacturers don't disclose how to service their products.
Yes, they do have Nit in the oil chamber

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle/bike_index.htm

See that small white plug at the bottom, thats the Nit fill. There is still a small amount of Nit inside the oil chamber, You are correct though, the Air chamber is very simple to service, and should be done on a regular basis to keep your air shock working properly. Either way, the shock in question, is a coil spring

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
believe whatever you'd like, but there is no nitrogen in a dhx coil rear shock. just air in the reservoir and no gas of any kind anywhere in the rest of the shock. the main body of the shock and much of the reservoir is filled with oil, any air/nitrogen bubbles would ruin th damping. there is a floating piston in the reservoir that separates the oil from the air chamber. the piston is moved as oil is displaced by the shock shaft, and the air on the other side of the piston is compressed, air an oil do not mix. ever. nitrogen can be used in place of air in the reservoir because it has larger molecules and won't leak out over time, is less sensitive to heat, and does not condense like air. but it's not really necessary sine you can check the pressure with a shock pump whenever you'd like.

there is no little white plug and there is no nitrogen mixed in with the oil in the coil dhx, it would make for a nasty foamy mess. get your facts straight before offering any more advice, or read more carefully so you don't miss the fact that this topic has nothing to do with fox air shocks.

maybe this will help:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes, they do have Nit in the oil chamber

http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_bicycle/bike_index.htm

See that small white plug at the bottom, thats the Nit fill. There is still a small amount of Nit inside the oil chamber, You are correct though, the Air chamber is very simple to service, and should be done on a regular basis to keep your air shock working properly. Either way, the shock in question, is a coil spring
the fox site is flash..you cannot link to a specific page...

There is NO nitrogen in a DHX coil or air..sorry. If you are trying to refer to the plug on a DHX air, that is an oil bleed hole (does not exist in the coil version.

If there were any amount of any type of gas at all in the 'oil chamber', this would cause cavitation and loss (or at least inconsistant) damping.

All the gas in all shocks is (all sealed damper forks as well) seperated from the oil from either a floating piston, or a bladder for this very reason.

I do however agree, that if the shock body is leaking at the location mentioned..there is most likely a viod in the casting allowing some oil weep. It is alos possible that the res was impacted and the shock cracked...

gonefirefightin

free wieners
you can rebuild your shock very easily. contact fox and ask them for a seal kit for the DHX.

the only thing you must do correctly is when you take off the propedal knob and air fitting is measure the depth of the IFP before you take it out. that is the same measurement you have to install it when you replace the seals. every shock is different with this measuement and none are the same.

also, is fairly difficult to bleed the complete set up when putting it all back together. the best thing to do is to heat the oil (warm) and the use a bleeder to get the oil circulated and completley filling the resi.

PM me if you need more help.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
you can rebuild your shock very easily. contact fox and ask them for a seal kit for the DHX.

the only thing you must do correctly is when you take off the propedal knob and air fitting is measure the depth of the IFP before you take it out. that is the same measurement you have to install it when you replace the seals. every shock is different with this measuement and none are the same.

also, is fairly difficult to bleed the complete set up when putting it all back together. the best thing to do is to heat the oil (warm) and the use a bleeder to get the oil circulated and completley filling the resi.

PM me if you need more help.
Thats the thing, its not the seals that are leaking, its coming straight out of the resivor body.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Will this be covered under warrenty no matter what year the shock is because it is an obvious manufactures defect because I'm not sure about the exact year of the shock I think its a 2006 but it could be an2005.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Will this be covered under warrenty no matter what year the shock is because it is an obvious manufactures defect because I'm not sure about the exact year of the shock I think its a 2006 but it could be an2005.
Should be, but someone from your LBS will need to look at it and talk to Fox, Hopefully youll get taken care of

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
No, youll need an RA, unless Fox has changed something, if theyll take it straight from you thats great, can call them and find out for sure. Last time though My customer had talked to Fox, they had them bring it to me to Send it to them,usually just wanting a shop to look at it first, there CS is pretty good worth a call i think

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
How did you do that?
I didn´t do it my self, unfortunately... I´m not very good at servicing rear shox, I just have ideas. But I did watch a little.
Unscrew the reservoir from the shaft. Then there´s a spring that preloads the port to the air-valve, between pp knob and air-valve. It´s about 2mm diameter and about 1,5 cm long. By putting shims in front of the spring you will increase preload and make it easier for oil to flow through the port in the absolute beginning of travel.

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
hey dirtymike,

it's great complaining at that attached image eh? how about you make one that's better so someone who doesn't have an idea can have some sort of an instruction to look at? i made that from all the info i got from people who knows how to open and service it. yes i have not open one myself but it's out there so someone like me can have an idea.... instead of just thinking the shock is nitrogen-charged.... like yourself.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I didn´t do it my self, unfortunately... I´m not very good at servicing rear shox, I just have ideas. But I did watch a little.
Unscrew the reservoir from the shaft. Then there´s a spring that preloads the port to the air-valve, between pp knob and air-valve. It´s about 2mm diameter and about 1,5 cm long. By putting shims in front of the spring you will increase preload and make it easier for oil to flow through the port in the absolute beginning of travel.
Who did you have do it?