Quantcast

DHer looking for a dj/street ride

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I am thinking about getting a dj/street hardtail (not sure about ss or gears). I primarly trail ride/dh right now with my Med Transition Bottlerocket and also do a little bit of dirt jumping. I will probably use the new bike almost 100% for street and keep jumping with the Bottlerocket.

I also have a Med Iron Horse Yakuza Bakuto but it is a friggin tank and is more trail/freeride geometry oriented. I am looking to sell this hardtail if I get a street/dj bike. I am about 5'10" and 180 lbs and I am a pretty average rider in terms of natural ability.

I am average at bunny hopping, very inconsistent with wheelies and cannot manual for ****.

I would be looking for a bike that will help me learn how to manual and wheelie better as well as learning other street stuff.

I can test out the P series, the Kona jump stuff(including the new Cowan) and probably the STPs and Cannondale Chase bikes at my local shops but won't be able to test any boutique hardtails. I would prefer to get a complete bike if possible but if people feel strongly about a certain frame, I would be willing to build as well.

Any suggestions on frames (including those that I can test above) and whether to go gear or SS? Thanks.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I say SS for street. There's no reason to ride gears for pure street, because of weight, simplicity, and reliability.

Some good learning frames are Giant STPs, Azonic Steelheads, or Evil DOCs. They'll feel like MTBs without being like your IH. The only problem with the Giant is it's hard to SS.

I've never liked Konas because they feel really tall to me, plus the Cowan is a geared bike (unless you want to run a tensioner which adds needless complexity).

Black Market is putting out some nice completes for the money now, and their geo/specs are pretty much dialed. IMO that's one of your best options.

Also look at used, you can find some stuff out there cheap.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Thanks for the good info as usual Bicyclist. Any opinions on the Trail or Park? I have had a great experience with my Brocket so far.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
well i can tell you from experience that the kona HT's don't have good street geo at all...i would look into something steel/ss. transition ToP would probably be great, the new Atomlab GI complete, the new Eastern nighttrain(both 24 or 26.) those are the three i'd be looking into if i was in your boat

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
They're pretty new to the market, but they're definately cool. If I wanted a cheap-ish 26er it'd be that.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Thanks guys. Thinking TOP right now. I am also going to demo a P1 at my local shop to see how it feels. Checked out the Atomlab completes and I am not too fired up on the RST forks. Any experience with these?

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
I love my 07 stp! Set it up SS and had no problems w/ that by the way! It works perfect. Going to have some White outlaws on it Friday. Manuals will take time to learn but..... The 15.75" chainstays are super easy to learn on. Not hard at all to roll out the back wheel.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
By the way... I got my STP for $750.00 stock.
Upgraded Stem to Race Face Diabolus, Bars to Deity, And just orderd the Azonic Outlaw "White" wheelset.
I like this bike much better as a SS ,and I'm more of a gears type guy!

SS set up is a 36T front 17T rear.

If you do go Giant get the better one. The SS version has a DJ4 w/ No Oil damping or air assist, and Hayes Mechanical brakes wich both suck!

The one I got has a DJ3 w/air assist,Rebound adjust. Avid BB5 brakes and mine also came w/ Truvativ Holzfeller cranks. The SS came w/ Hussefelt cranks. And their's only a $100.00 Price jump between the two. All the upgrades are well worth it.

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
Bicyclist,

Where can I find the black market completes? I couldn't find them on their website? Thanks again.

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
What bike did you decide to go with? I am in the same situation. Moving to where all the travel on my DirtBag is a waste and will just sit in the garage.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Bicyclist,

Where can I find the black market completes? I couldn't find them on their website? Thanks again.
They got canceled.

PM me if you want a DOC, my friend's selling his.

The Eastern Night Train is worth looking at.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I really like the TOP's. Good warranty, geometry and quality! I was going to get one, but my friend gave me his Chameleon.

Here's one that I photoshopped to get an idea of how I would build it. I converted it from ss to der., put my seat on it, made the rims grey like my 721's, replaced the manipoo with a pike painted white. :D I was going to put green parts on it, so I made the seatpost collar green.

It's not my best photoshop-ing, I did it kind of quick.

teeter

Chimp
Dec 26, 2006
gotta Brooklyn Machine works Park Bike frame for sale that includes some other goodies