Quantcast

DH tires-Wire or Kevlar?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'm liking my Butcher tires and was considering putting some on my Wilson. But the only ones on their website are folding (still Kevlar, right?) bead. Thoughts?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Wire bead tires are OEM on low end bikes. With those kind of tires, I consider them to be all show and no go, they probably have a crappy TPI and rubber compound. Never worth it usually IME.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You could try reading the specs, specifically looking at compound before making wildly incorrect statements regarding all wire bead tyres.

Lower TPI count isn't always a bad thing. Especially in regards to gravity riding.

Tons of lower end bikes come with folding bead TR tyres with good compounds these days.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
IDK. You'd think a DH forum might have a thread on tyres.

Somewhere. :doh:

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm not sure why you'd put Butchers on a bike for any riding serious enough to warrant wire bead DH tires. They're a bit better than Ardents, but not by much.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I'm not sure why you'd put Butchers on a bike for any riding serious enough to warrant wire bead DH tires. They're a bit better than Ardents, but not by much.
The Butchers were and still are S's DH tires. But on their website they're only available in folding. Which it states "trail and downhill". They do have the Grid casing which is their heavier casing and 60tpi which DH tires all use.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
The Butchers were and still are S's DH tires. But on their website they're only available in folding. Which it states "trail and downhill". They do have the grid casing which is their heavier casing and 60tpi which DH tires all use.
Can confirm the Butcher Grid Gravity T9 is a reasonable dh tire. A pool noodle adds a little bit of added protection should one feel that is warranted. Casing isn't Michelin stiff.

Would bang Cannibal if Spec offers the same blowout deals they do on them as they do their other tires.