Quantcast

DH season and Gas prices......

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
DH race season and Gas prices......

how will that impact your riding/racing season if it goes to $5 + per gallon.....?

.....if it gets that high i be staying home building pirate trails like a ______ on krack...

R

richcreek

it will not go to 5+ a gallon, there is a $3.60 cap on the price per gallon of gas.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
Not me,

Just did a trade in for my truck, 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 for a 99' Audi A6 Wagon..... I'll take it...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Yeah, we are feeling it as well. Luckily Snowshoe has stepped up big time with a 4 race series. We can cram 4 in a extended cab pickup and get there pretty cheap. But I'm doing all camping this year. As well as taking my own food. No out west races for me this year. :(

We just traded my wife's 02 Explorer for a 04 Toyota Matrix. 20 mpg to 40 mpg. Yipee

b stevens

Chimp
Jul 12, 2004
I'm riding my bike to work and everywhere I can to help with the cost and it will also help my racing.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Its already messing with my season.
The only really good place for me to hit up some real DH where I live is Windrock. It is a 3 and 1/2 drive for me. I would have went this weekend, but I had nobody to split gas with. So, I am gonna show up at Massanutten with about 3 good rides on my new bike.
Oh well, what can yo do?

MadDHer

Monkey
Mar 8, 2006
I'm glad I ride a Sunday. The pedalling on that bike is so efficient that I can ride to the trails, and ride up the hill as well.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I have to say I'm really glad I've got my little Tacoma 4 banger 2wd. With the xtra cab I can get 4 DH'rs and bikes around the mtn and it still gets around 20mpg.

Road trips will more likely be camping and bringing our own food to save a little coin. If I were seriously racing this season, it would be a real issue though.

I can't wait to put on 2billion miles driving from colorado to New Mexico to the east coast then all around the east coast of the US and Canada. We'll be getting about 15mpg, but atleast well have 5or6 people to split gas with.
I'm totally bummed about gas prices, its gonna probably keep me from going to whistler latter in the summer, and we might skip North Carolina national as well since its still like 500miles from the rest of the east races.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm doing platty and diablo mostly this season. platty = 4hr, 15 min; diablo = 2hr, 15min. looks like i'm gonna be spending more off race weekends at diablo than platty. just gotta find a cheap place to camp.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I already camp 80% of the time, pack my own food, and have an economical car.......a couple years ago gas was $1, looking now at $4-$5 by mid-summer just really makes racing an expense instead of a recreational hobby....

I'll still go to snowshoe but when i go it will be for a 5-6 days instead of 3 and to the other local/regional races but just not as often.......its just gets to be alot of money quick...

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I should be OK...Plattekill is 80 miles away (about 1.5 hour drive) and Jiminy Peak is a mere 30 minute drive. On top of that, I plan to set up a few more car/bike pools for those drives.

It MIGHT cut into any long term driving plans, such as our semi-planned trip to Snowshoe for a week plus a race in July, though.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Zark said:
I have to say I'm really glad I've got my little Tacoma 4 banger 2wd. With the xtra cab I can get 4 DH'rs and bikes around the mtn and it still gets around 20mpg.

yea right noah...you got a leadfoot....that yote is probally getting worse milage than my v8 when she is revved to 9grand...plus your tires are probally only good for a few runs up gibralter with all that drifting going on :rolleyes:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
wydopen said:
yea right noah...you got a leadfoot....that yote is probally getting worse milage than my v8 when she is revved to 9grand...plus your tires are probally only good for a few runs up gibralter with all that drifting going on :rolleyes:
I've mellowed out, I swear!:rofl:
The tires....about 15,000 miles max, but the mileage is actually pretty good still:rofl:
We'll have to do some runs next time your in town Andrew, its been a while!

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Zark said:
I've mellowed out, I swear!:rofl:
The tires....about 15,000 miles max, but the mileage is actually pretty good still:rofl:
We'll have to do some runs next time your in town Andrew, its been a while!
yea meng ill be comming back and forth this summer but ill be down there for a few weeks for sure...ill probally drive down to get my new bike in a few weeks so we gotta take some runs ill make sure to hit you up...

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Gas prices up? Sounds like I'm living in SLO this summer, pretty much everything (work, trails, bars, sluts) is within pedaling distance of home. Living in Gnorcal is just not economical when there's a 20 mile commute to get to work or bars. Trails and sluts are still within pedaling distance, though.

Races? Sounds like 4 people in the minivan, driving at 60mph, with all the bikes inside, and the heater turned up on high.

robz

Chimp
May 18, 2004
Scotland
HA!

Based on 3.8 Litres to a US liquid Gallon, I work it out at $6.90 for a gallon of Diesel in Scotland today.

Wait till your Government work out what they can get away with!

Now you see why we all drive 1.4 litre cars.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
I don't actually pay for gas. And if I really needed to I can ride to many really good local spots.

dG video

I blew a mod to get this title
Feb 25, 2004
vermont
DH biker said:
I just bought a 5.4 litre V8 F150... I am smart. :)
You will hate yourself. I had a 5.9L Ram 1500 V8. Did a trade in for an Audi wagon, I am now getting just about double the gas mileage as I did in my truck. Only thing is its so much faster that I already got pulled over yesterday and have had the Audi for a week!

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
its 6.46 a gallon here...quit ya bitchin! But I expect that to change for the better here in the near future when Oil is traded in Euros instead of US dollars...not so good for those stateside though.

trumbullrider

Monkey
Dec 12, 2005
CT
i get around 20-25 miles per gallon highway in my 4 cyclinder ford ranger, its real slow and tops out at about 80mph but i guess it safer that way.

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
I bought a motorcycle for most of my commuting needs (about 60MPG), and will only drive the bigger vehicles when I need to transport my bike.

Hooj Choons

Chimp
Apr 24, 2006
Reopened...for now.
rockymt21 said:
You will hate yourself. I had a 5.9L Ram 1500 V8. Did a trade in for an Audi wagon, I am now getting just about double the gas mileage as I did in my truck. Only thing is its so much faster that I already got pulled over yesterday and have had the Audi for a week!

Like we all told you before.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
We just got back from Napa, we got an average of 38 mpg on the entire trip. Not too bad for a Honda Civic :)

But my truck hurt to fill up, 18 gallons it was $54. That wasn't even a full tank.

Any riding I'll do is fine, it wasn't going to be cheap forever. But I dunno how many road trips I'll take if any with prices that high. Thank god Santa Barbara has great trails.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
robz said:
HA!

Based on 3.8 Litres to a US liquid Gallon, I work it out at $6.90 for a gallon of Diesel in Scotland today.

Wait till your Government work out what they can get away with!

Now you see why we all drive 1.4 litre cars.
The big difference being that when you drive 6 hours (to go to a race) you've gone through 6 countries! :) When someone here (Canada or US) drives 6 hours it barely gets them out of the province/state!!

richcreek said:
it will not go to 5+ a gallon, there is a $3.60 cap on the price per gallon of gas.
Late last summer it went up over 5$ in the Southeast states after Katrina wreaked havoc. :redhot:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I did the same thing with the motorcycle for during the week.

Then I got smarter and put a jump track in the yard to train, and found a road ride to melt the fat away. Hopefully this saves enough that I can make the races I committed to with my sponsors.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
$200 for jeans? I thought my wife was pricey!

Can someone, maybe stiksandstones, justify why I would blow $200 on denim? I thought Tommy He'llfingermyanus was expensive....