Quantcast

DH Noob

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
I'm trying to get into this whole DH thing. I have been riding XC for 16 years, but all the videos I watch and things that get my blood pumping have to do with DH. I should have my bike next week and I'm ordering a full face helmet soon as well. What other gear do you recommend? Anyone want to school me in proper DH things to know, etiquette etc? Another thing that sucks is that I live in Savannah, GA. Everything is flat. Are there any good places to go in North GA, NC or SC? I've never ridden a proper DH course that I can remember. Thanks!

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
As a beginner (at DH anyway), I would also invest in body armor. You get used to it quickly and it is always better to dress for the crash than to dress for the ride. Hopefully you won't need it but even the experienced riders are grateful for it when they need it. Full finger gloves and quality shoes that have some type of protective toe covering. I think protective gear is the best investment you can make to begin with.

edit: ad goggles to the list. whether you use contacts or not, these will come in handy regardless of weather conditions.

KleinGuy

Chimp
Mar 5, 2010
Guyton, GA
Yea, I was actually wondering about what shoes to use. I'm always clipped in for XC, but I have a set of Funn flat pedals for the DH bike. The only shoes I have for flat pedals right now are an old pair of New Balance tennis shoes that I use on my trials bike, ha

A-NON-A

Chimp
May 4, 2010
Inland Empire, Ca
Hey Kleinguy....

Im in the same boat as you.... I get my first DH rig delivered tonight and I have always been a XC guy. Personally I already bought a Full Face, Knee/shin protectors, elbow protectors, and I plan on purchasing some armor because I figure its like motocross" Its not if you crash its when".

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
You might be close to windrock in TN. I think it's somewhere near Nashville, but I've never been.

Etiquette is basically stay out of faster riders' way when possible, and if you hear somebody behind you, move to the right or whichever side is safer, and let them by. Never stop on top of a drop or jump unless you're off the bike checking it for safety, and even then make sure it's clear before hand. Try not to lock your rear brake when going down steep chutes or before heavy turns- it ruins the trail over time and you're better off maintaining good traction via brake modulation instead.

As for gear, get yourself a good helmet, preferably the ANSI 1952 standard, as seen on quite a few DH lids. Helmets usually fall into 3 categories, bike, DH, or Moto. There are different opinions on each but the general consensus is that Moto is too much and bike is too little, where DH is just right. Get a set of elbow pads and knee/shin guards. Your shins will thank you for the protection, even if people here don't think you'll look cool in them. Buy yourself some good skate shoes or 5.10 Impacts, which are DH specific shoes. Either will work for you, but you want a moderately stiff sole with a waffle-style pattern and decent toe protection, if at all possible. Get yourself a pair of durable shorts, I am a huge fan of Troy Lee or Fox moto shorts, but some people like dickies or carharts or whatever...just skip the cotton as it offers nearly NO protection. Get full finger gloves with a reasonable amount of knuckle protection. A jersey is up to you depending on whether you get hot or not, but something with a little bit of room will allow you all the movement and ventilation you need. Goggles are an option, but there's no reason you can't use glasses of whatever kind.

FYI, I rode for several years in a moto lid, knee shins, and gloves with hiking boots or skate shoes...I now ride religiously with my 1952 helmet, gloves, knee shins, and elbows, but I also have hip guards and a spine protector (ie dainese) for when things get scary. I now also use goggles, but I used to use my prescription sunglasses or regular glasses without much issue.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you want to ride flats do it only with 5.10 if not go clipless. I also made a shift from xc/am to dh around 5 years ago (though it's more like 3 if you count the seasons when I was riding dh more than twice a season). If you don't have a full blown bikepark/dh trails near you I'd suggest a pedalable rig and something lighter (heavy enduro, light fr bike like an intense ss).

For what you need to know - there are a lot of people who teach what you should know, there are videos (fluidride guys have a good one, fundamentals by dirt isn't bad but kinda rough) or the brian lopes/lee mccormac book.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
oh yeah, ride with somebody who's just a little bit better than you. Too fast and you won't keep up, but the same and you won't push yourself. I rode a couple of times with inclag and the wachusset team last year and it was like I was missing something. Totally different than my normal pace.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hey Kleinguy....

Im in the same boat as you.... I get my first DH rig delivered tonight and I have always been a XC guy. Personally I already bought a Full Face, Knee/shin protectors, elbow protectors, and I plan on purchasing some armor because I figure its like motocross" Its not if you crash its when".
Rule
1: Baggies or like shorts
2: must have leg hair or else you whistle when bombing down the mtn
3: Spandex are a NO NO under any circumstance even if your in your motel room the DH police will hunt you down and spray glue them over your head
4: If you put a water bottle on the bike it will explode and cause you to grow Hooters
5: Normally Id say something about a computer but Kanter has one on his bike, granted hes grandfathered in we let him so you can...

JK man welcome to the sport and have a good time, stay safe!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!! OMG that was too good...

Diggin the big yellow helmet 40 sec. in look like mr. Smiley...

Yeah it was so bad back then the DH police didnt have toi enforce it the bikes bucked the riders off in embarassement then proceeded to beat them in the back of the head on the way down....

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
how many RideMonkey posters were riding MTBs in 1990, on cantilever brakes and rigid bikes?

anyone know how steep that hill is? based on the few who blew right through the bottom left-hander, I'm guessing it was pretty steep. video always flattens things.

anyone who rode canti brakes in 1990 -- cable, not Magura hydraulics -- knows how poor a job they did at slowing down a fast rider. even when dry.

almost everyone rode with their saddle up at roadie height.

tires sucked too.

imagine riding a modern cyclocross bike -- you'll be fairly close to what it was like.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I mean, I was certainly out bombing the trails on my circa 1992 rigid huffy with cantilevers. Granted I weighed all of 55 lbs so they stopped me pretty good if I recall.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I mean, I was certainly out bombing the trails on my circa 1992 rigid huffy with cantilevers. Granted I weighed all of 55 lbs so they stopped me pretty good if I recall.
When I visited Winterberg 2 years ago I've seen groups of 30+ year old men also riding rigid, steel, cantilevered bikes. Some people never grow up ;)

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
The guys can ride. Try riding dh on that equipment. It took big balls and a tolerance for pain. Technology has made a huge leap its like looking a model ts vs an indy car.