Quantcast

DH in the Midwest

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I didnt know such a thing existed.....
It doesn't, that's why I moved from IL to Socal. Different worlds.

I remember when I raced at nordic mountain. I got tired of the slow lifted, so I just hiked up, and it was faster, lol. I don't miss 100ft vertical runs, but I do miss Challenge Park dearly. Nordic had a fun course when I was there. They do a pretty good job of working with they got for sure. Heard they supposedley built a lot of new stuff.

Last edited:

Yukonrider

Chimp
Jun 21, 2007
Marquette MI
Went last year, the track is interesting, lots of fun actually. Don't think I can make it this year with work.. Oh well, id go again in a second.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
this is actually a really fun race. I have been to it (and the former devil's head race) something like 4 out of the last 6 years.

Chad, Bill and Julian said that they have a completly new course this year. Bill said that Nordic got a variable speed drive for the lift so that it will be running faster. It's still not a detachable high speed. Anyway, this is the best race in the midwest.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
this is actually a really fun race. I have been to it (and the former devil's head race) something like 4 out of the last 6 years.

Chad, Bill and Julian said that they have a completly new course this year. Bill said that Nordic got a variable speed drive for the lift so that it will be running faster. It's still not a detachable high speed. Anyway, this is the best race in the midwest.
Man whatever happened to white knuckle. THAT was the best race. Why doesn't nordic just set up some kind of shuttle thing. Just an uneducated guess but wouldn't that be faster and cheaper than running their lift? I mean, lifts sure as hell aren't cheap to run, whether they're fast or slow. Anyone got pics/vids of the new course?

Mr Lahey

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Do they do "cooler check"?

Doubt I can make this but definitely support any sort of gravity racing in the midwest.

Supposedly insurance and other redtape has just about cleared for an Ohio cumulative time weekend race taking place at Mohican and Horn's Hill. Want to say this will be mid October?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
that is if you exclude anything at 7springs, wisp, snowshoe or windrock.

Seriously though that course looked wack. I might be in Wisconsin around that time so if it plays out im dragging the bike and racing it.
I always thought of those as mid-atlantic. Heck, the closest of those is 7 springs and that is in PA.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Man whatever happened to white knuckle. THAT was the best race. Why doesn't nordic just set up some kind of shuttle thing. Just an uneducated guess but wouldn't that be faster and cheaper than running their lift? I mean, lifts sure as hell aren't cheap to run, whether they're fast or slow. Anyone got pics/vids of the new course?
agree, a shuttle would be cheaper and probably faster. However, for whatever reason most DH'ers can't comprehend that and want a lift.

Your correct, it is expensive to run a lift. We (HGR) paid $200/hr to rent a lift in northern michigan back in 2002.

Last edited:

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
In the Midwest we have to make the most out of what is lacking in veritcal feet so.....

On site camping, evening bonfire, beers & brats, kids DH w/ medals for all, not to mention on site wakeboarding.....http://nordicmountain.com/wakepark.html.......late night nude bathing (unsanctioned).

The new course is faster and more fun w/ a showcase jump at the end.

J

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
With regard to the Ohio race, it sounds pretty cool. Bob was telling us about it at Massanutten. i haven't been to Horn's Hill. However, Mohican is really cool for a 5 hour drive. On that note, the people on the east coast that complain about an hour drive to Diablo or 3 hours to Pkill are crybabies

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
On that note, the people on the east coast that complain about an hour drive to Diablo or 3 hours to Pkill are crybabies
OH MY GOD. You wouldn't believe how spoiled people are out here. "Whine whine whine! I have to drive a whole hour to that 2500 ft vertical shuttle trail system? whine whine whine! We only have 4 full shuttle 10-15 min DH runs in our town, whine whine whine"

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
I,ve been to the wors thing since Devils Head ran the lifts that one time.
Its been ok the lift at Nordic is slow better with the 3 man crew. But the swim thing just freaks me out I aint gone go now. I've seen enough man boobs when some of those guys take their shirts off and try to be cool hurts my eyes the glare is terrible WHITE reflects boys.
Another note I think the turn out was almost 100 racres last year. That was double from previous years I heard Marq helped the turn out.
Lastly has anyone noticed that it is always a similar crowd I mean the same people or groups of people. Fast guys, the crashers, and the poke alongs can all be picked out.
Really this is the last thing really I asked if the course would changed after practice which it often did at those. The guy went into a RANT I still don't understand the "EAST COAST" "WEST COAST" DH thing he went on about. I do know my photos have my digital tag can I RANT about riven editing my photos. This must be my longest post ever here. or maybe the gt guy posted about.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
you defiantly win for the least understandable post. My hope as I was reading this was that you were sitting in a cafe with one leg crossed. Wearing some clamdigger shants, some kind of overtight Polo and some useless but fancy looking running shoes. When the waiter/waitress walked by you'd say "Kann ich noch einen Kaffee bitte."

Then that made sense to me why I'd have no clue what point your trying to communicate.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
you defiantly win for the least understandable post. My hope as I was reading this was that you were sitting in a cafe with one leg crossed. Wearing some clamdigger shants, some kind of overtight Polo and some useless but fancy looking running shoes. When the waiter/waitress walked by you'd say "Kann ich noch einen Kaffee bitte."

Then that made sense to me why I'd have no clue what point your trying to communicate.
:rofl::rofl:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Shenzi, as you're probably aware, straight DH in the midwest is tough. Your best bet might be in northern MI or the UP as the closest DH. Too bad devil's lake WI doesn't allow for much biking on the trails. They have the elevation.

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
My post doesn't make sense unless you had been there.

Its the midwest there isn't any "DH". We don't have moutains boys.
We have the "DH cafe" the internet.

This doesn't make sense unless it is someone I think it is
That kid under the lid looks a little familiar?
I wish the ran would stop so I could ride and not be here. A second post 2 days in a row shot me now

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
um, ok. Just for the sake of my sanity tell me English actually isnt your first language or at least follow each garbled sentence with something in parenthesis giving us a inside into your thought process.

"Lastly has anyone noticed that it is always a similar crowd I mean the same people or groups of people. Fast guys, the crashers, and the poke alongs can all be picked out.
Really this is the last thing really I asked if the course would changed after practice which it often did at those. "

what? Somehow you ask a question and answer it within the same sentence and still dont seem to answer your own question.

Seriously though, I'm lost.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
Shenzi, as you're probably aware, straight DH in the midwest is tough. Your best bet might be in northern MI or the UP as the closest DH. Too bad devil's lake WI doesn't allow for much biking on the trails. They have the elevation.
Yes for sure, but I'm fine with "Midwestern DH" right now, just got a 6" bike, just looking for some fun right now, although Marquette is definitely the place I want to visit this Summer. I'll try to go there before their bike fest, to try the trails first.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
In the Midwest we have to make the most out of what is lacking in veritcal feet so.....

On site camping, evening bonfire, beers & brats, kids DH w/ medals for all, not to mention on site wakeboarding.....http://nordicmountain.com/wakepark.html.......late night nude bathing (unsanctioned).

The new course is faster and more fun w/ a showcase jump at the end.

J
Big J, is the camping open for the DH weekend, I thought it was only for the following (XC/Super D) weekend? I was looking at some campsite cabin 10 minutes away?

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Big J, is the camping open for the DH weekend, I thought it was only for the following (XC/Super D) weekend? I was looking at some campsite cabin 10 minutes away?
As far as I know you may camp at Nordic during the DH weekend and yes there are some camp grounds nearby.

KamoMatt, I hope to see you at Nordic taking some very nice photos as always and maybe doing a little riding/racing......

This is tripping me out...I think this thread is longer than our avg. MWest DH course....:D

I hope to see everyone at Nordic, it's going to be a great time. Don't forget to bring plenty of Spotted Cow & Fat Tire.

Oh, also brats & kraut......

J

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
why do mountain bikers feel fat tire is the holy grail of beer?
For some of us in a small part of the Midwest, our holy grail of beer is the Spotted Cow, although I do spend a lot of time with the Fat Tire too :D The New Berlin guys are cool, think a bit like us, ride bikes and most important brew some good beers, I also like the Skinny Dip and the other ones the do. As much as I like the beers made by New Glarus in WI. I like all beers!

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
What a great weekend and first real DH racing experience for me. Awesome job to Chad, Big J and the crew for putting up such a great event.
The run was more technical than I was expecting it to be, it was very "East Coast" and humbling I have to say but my 19 y-o son and I really enjoyed the challenge and the rides.
I want more!!

I believe that I heard that Nordic could run the lifts on weekend with at least 20 paying riders. That doesn't sound like a big number. I wish we could get more DH weekend organized there.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Shenzi: I wish i could have met you to put a face with the name. I was parked right by the jump at the bottom with the trailer and Maxxis tents.

It was a great race and the course was fun. best of 4 runs made for some tough competition.

The word around the fire saturday night was that there will be more races next year including more venues.

Shenzi

Chimp
Jun 26, 2008
Lake Zurich, IL
Shenzi: I wish i could have met you to put a face with the name. I was parked right by the jump at the bottom with the trailer and Maxxis tents.

It was a great race and the course was fun. best of 4 runs made for some tough competition.

The word around the fire saturday night was that there will be more races next year including more venues.
Chris, I came late Saturday pm (got delayed by some weather related issues at home), I think we must have met or talked if you were there sat night too, I shot some pics of the guys during the small jump session before the bonefire. I saw your trailer and Maxxis tent and think I said high when I walked by a few times.
I think I'm going for the Super D this weekend. Are you guys racing at Cannonsburg in MI, do they have a series there too? From the photos on your team site, the DH run there look a bit less technical, but I can't build an opinion from just the photos.
I was the slow guy with the Dainese jersey :D

He are some pics I found Nordic DH 6-20-10@@AMEPARAM@@offsite=true&lang=en-us&page_show_url=%2Fphotos%2Fedgephotography%2Fsets%2F72157624196206873%2Fshow%2F&page_show_back_url=%2Fphotos%2Fedgephotography%2Fsets%2F72157624196206873%2F&set_id=72157624196206873&jump_to=@@AMEPARAM@@en-us@@AMEPARAM@@%2Fphotos%2Fedgephotography%2Fsets%2F72157624196206873%2Fshow%2F&page_show_back_url=%2Fphotos%2Fedgephotography%2Fsets%2F72157624196206873%2F&set_id=72157624196206873&jump_to=

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
yeah, I am racing canonsburg this weekend. And yes, much less technical. We built part of the course but all the rocks have been hand layed in since it is mostly sand with a foot of organic dirt on top. The Wisconsin course was very good for the midwest.

No series there. It's part of the state games.

I saw a few people with Dianese jerseys. There was even a kid in the kids race with one on. What's your name?

thanks for the photo link

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Correction......Chad & Bill deserve credit for the course & race work, I just help them when possible.

Thank you for the feedback and I think everyone had a great time.

J