Quantcast

Derailleur question

DHBIKERPUNK

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
New York, Upstate
I need some help figuring out a new 9 speed rear derailleur. I just recently snapped my LX Deore off my bike(no surprize.) I want a strong rear derailleur setup so i can prevent this from happening again. I dont want to spend more then 100$ for the derailleur and shifter. Im putting it on a demo 9 pro, i have an mrp chainguide. I ride and race dh.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
buy a closeout Saint if you don't want anymore troubles. sure it may come in rapid rise. but it won't break

check the regular online shops, some places were selling them for $15

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Other than the Saint setup, all derailleurs are pretty much equal strength. I'd say SRAM xo is the 'strongest' I've used, but the solution is probably to buy cheap ones so you don't feel bad about replacing them, and riding with care not to smack them on stuff.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
long, mid, or short cage?
Shortest you can run with your gear spread. If you're using Shimano, consider a road derailleur; 105 series is cheap and works well. SRAM mid cage is a good choice as well.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I would also give the Shimano 105 short or mid cage a vote. Durable and not too expensive...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I would also give the Shimano 105 short or mid cage a vote. Durable and not too expensive...
Agreed. If it's on a Demo 9, I'm guessing that the short cage will do. In my experience, derailleurs breaking is all about luck; doesn't matter what kind it is- if you knock it right, it's dead.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just make sure when you set it up, you cycle the swingarm with the shock disconnected to make sure the chain is long enough.