Quantcast

Derailer on a 24"

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
I want to run a derailer on a 24" bmx bike. I don't like the feel of any mtbs out there. (even the so called dirt jumping bikes). Basically all I want is about 7 speeds so I can get up the mountain, I also ride aggressive xc and need a couple of gears to keep up with my bros. Also what about hub spacing? I'm guessing that mtb hubs won't fit, but is there a way to run more than one gear on a bmx cassette? Any help is much appreaciated, thanks

Ir Dan

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Orange County
Bmx hubs are more narrow than Mtb hubs. There is not a company that makes a bmx spaced hub with a casset large enough to hold gears. I have seen 1 Bmx hub with 3 internal gears and it was pretty cool but other than that I havent seen anything. You chould get a flip flop hub and flip the wheel and re break the chain whenever you wanted to change your gearing.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by Ir Dan
Bmx hubs are more narrow than Mtb hubs. There is not a company that makes a bmx spaced hub with a casset large enough to hold gears. I have seen 1 Bmx hub with 3 internal gears and it was pretty cool but other than that I havent seen anything. You chould get a flip flop hub and flip the wheel and re break the chain whenever you wanted to change your gearing.
Yeah I saw a profile hub that could fit three gears, then they also make one that can fit six but it only comes in 135mm spacing, oh well

Sideways

Monkey
Jun 8, 2002
Asheville, North Carolina
Originally posted by hardtail_schmuk
I want to run a derailer on a 24" bmx bike. I don't like the feel of any mtbs out there. (even the so called dirt jumping bikes). Basically all I want is about 7 speeds so I can get up the mountain, I also ride aggressive xc and need a couple of gears to keep up with my bros. Also what about hub spacing? I'm guessing that mtb hubs won't fit, but is there a way to run more than one gear on a bmx cassette? Any help is much appreaciated, thanks
I going to plug my company's bike because it really sounds like what you are looking for.

As far as geometry goes, with dual 24"'s and a 100mm fork, the bike almost shares geometry with an S&M RV-24 or a Dk cuiser.
Major differance being clearance for big tires should you want them, a slightly longer front end, and a seat post size that you can jack up with reliability.

It's a bit more expensive than an S&M....but there's not much else like it in terms of usable functionality.

Plug off....sorry.

bohica

Chimp
Jun 15, 2002
just south of everywhere
won't be able to fit a mtb hub on there. mtb spacing is 135 on the avg and bmx is 110. I've seen 2/3 spd bmx hubs and I'm not sure about internally geared hubs that fit 110 spacing. If you want a strong 24" i would suggest arrow racing. their frames a specific for 24" wheels. good luck.

Sep 18, 2001
Marin County CA
Originally posted by Sideways

I going to plug my company's bike because it really sounds like what you are looking for.

As far as geometry goes, with dual 24"'s and a 100mm fork, the bike almost shares geometry with an S&M RV-24 or a Dk cuiser.
Major differance being clearance for big tires should you want them, a slightly longer front end, and a seat post size that you can jack up with reliability.

It's a bit more expensive than an S&M....but there's not much else like it in terms of usable functionality.

Plug off....sorry.
Actually your frame is on the top of my list, the only prob is the price tag, hence the asking about using a 24" bmx frame. Oh well, I guess I might...have...to...get a job! Nooooo!

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place

Actually your frame is on the top of my list, the only prob is the price tag, hence the asking about using a 24" bmx frame. Oh well, I guess I might...have...to...get a job! Nooooo!

lol

:D :cool: :)

jodysbike

wheel man
Oct 11, 2001
Dune
I've seen Kore Hoochie Hubs that are 3 speed, come with a derailer Hanger and allow you to put a disc brake on a non disk frame.

Ctfphotos

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Astoria, NY
Originally posted by jodysbike
I've seen Kore Hoochie Hubs that are 3 speed, come with a derailer Hanger and allow you to put a disc brake on a non disk frame.
I have a set brand new in the box for $50.

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
I'm not interested in this offer:rolleyes: , but i was wondering where i might pick one up later...cuz i think i might get one for the frame im making..but this wont be for a couple of months so...

Have you tried a Norco 250? It's a total bastardization of MTB and cruiser. 4130 Cro Mo frame, 24"'s, Marzocchi DirtJumper, Hayes Mechanicals, 8 speed, BMX BB, 26" compatibility...
SCHWEEEEEEEEET!!!