Quantcast

Demo 8.. who got details?

syadasti said:
Well I got a little lazy there in my first post cause I wanted to be concise (as does Foes) and the point was still true - designs with a single pivot basis are the lightest...

Jm corrected my slip, but I was bored and he's a easy catch - he goes and posts a half dozen places about not finding some small part for his Hayes - I mean come on :D
Back to the topic :)

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
well I'm looking forward to the demo-8...
I rode a demo-9 (abs in SC, punkassean) in the parking lot and it just wanted to be layed out sideways, brappin the f out. I attribute this to the shock placement, as low as possible for a low center of gravity. It also manualed quite well, due to a short CS, and it pedaled well due to it's linkage, there is virtually no chain growth in the travel that I could find. Its was one sexy beast, and did not "feel" heavy in the least, untill you tried to pick it up.
My only complaint with my limited demo was it felt clunky, due to the hollow sound of it's large square tubes.
So bring on the 8 with lower weight, I'll be looking forward....

Cheers, Brad

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Brad, Spokesman has a demo bike, Demo9 Pro that you can take out for the day and romp free of charge! It is a LG but it felt great and I am only 5'10". FWIW...all you need is an ID and CC to demo it...

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
The bike belongs to Specialized and doesn't cost the shop anything I don't think. It is most likely on the local reps demo account and will be sold at a discount at the end of the year. it is not uncommon for shops to have high end demo bikes. It really works well to get the bike out there and increase the hype. I rode it for a day and now I am fixated on getting one, only not at retail price if at all possible...However a lot of people might try it out, fall in love and therefore purchase one outright. Either way, I think it rocks! You should go down there and talk to Brian if you are at all interested.

Apr 15, 2004
Foster City/Shells
Personally, I think that if they make the Demo 8 the most appealing thing about it would be a shorter wheelbase. The draw of the Demo 9 is that it's a solid race bike: while it may be heavy, it's very strong, has a very long wheelbase for added stability, and it has nine inches to handle any speed as well as an extremely active rear suspension. The 8 seems to be more of a freeride model: no freerider needs more than eight inches (except for maybe Bender, but he's not that smooth), the lessened travel means it could be taken to the jumps a little more (although that's probably rather unreasonable), and a shorter wheelbase would make a huge improvement for things like log rides and other stunts. However, as far as I've read, the wheelbase hasn't been mentioned.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
It seems sort of strange to me that the demo-9 was not marketed so much for race. I would think perhaps it's a weight thing, and that the 8 might be more of a race frame, while the 9 would be for the extreme end of the sport, race or huck wise. I've also heard that the linkage developed for the 9 will be transfering to the whole line...
The debate would seem to be with a 8" racer, travel vs tuning, ie; can a racer get away with less travel if the ride is tuned perfectly?! Seems like a 12lbs demo-8, with an avalanche rear might be an ultimate race and freeride machine.

Just my 2cents, Brad

I'm looking forward to N* this weekend!!!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
A medium Demo9 has a 46.5 WB with an 888R (very tall fork) That is really not long at all for a 9" travel bike. It also has a 16.8" CS so I have to say (having spent a good amount of time riding one on tight trails) It rides tight. With a Sherman Slider+ or any other shorter fork or even GR or Risse crowns the wheelbase could be around 45.5" or so which is incredible. I also think the Demo8 will be more "racer" than the 9 which I perceive as the ultimate freeride bike. However I think both the 8&9 could be setup to successfully do either discipline extremely well.

punkassean said:
A medium Demo9 has a 46.5 WB with an 888R (very tall fork) That is really not long at all for a 9" travel bike. It also has a 16.8" CS so I have to say (having spent a good amount of time riding one on tight trails) It rides tight. With a Sherman Slider+ or any other shorter fork or even GR or Risse crowns the wheelbase could be around 45.5" or so which is incredible. I also think the Demo8 will be more "racer" than the 9 which I perceive as the ultimate freeride bike. However I think both the 8&9 could be setup to successfully do either discipline extremely well.
Youre right!

My bbike bevore the demo has a 44,4 WB but the demo is bette in or small corner Tracks in Germany.. the low gravity center of the demo maks it excennt even at Dual courses...

The Demo 8 frame will be 1,5 lbs lighter than the demo 9 frame (all without shock) so there will be a smaller Shock at the demo 9, mabe with ti spring so 2.3 lbs less are possible :)

Apr 15, 2004
Foster City/Shells
punkassean said:
Hmm, you make an interesting point. All I know is that the people I've talked to who own a Demo 9 have said the wheelbase feels long to them. However, if your numbers are right, then I guess it's some other property of the bike that is causing them to feel that way. In either case, you're right: both Demo bikes could in all conceivability RIP.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
mtbfreerider182 said:
Hmm, you make an interesting point. All I know is that the people I've talked to who own a Demo 9 have said the wheelbase feels long to them. However, if your numbers are right, then I guess it's some other property of the bike that is causing them to feel that way. In either case, you're right: both Demo bikes could in all conceivability RIP.
it's not a long wheelbase, but the chainstays are proportionally a lot shorter than on other bikes, so the perception may be that it feels longer than it is, becuase it has much shorter chainstays than other comperable bikes.

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
while i want to be optemistic about the demo 9 (i love the look and concept of the bike) , the dry numbers just doesnt look good.
wb - the wb on specialized site says 46.5 " for the m and 47.3 " (!!!) for the l. i know it is measured with a 888 , but all bikes that ive checked till now had a slightly longer wb than the official company numbers.

weight - if the 14 lb + figure is true , than this frame is a fu@#$%# beast! my big hit weighs signifacantly less and it is strong as hell , so why did spec need an extra 3 lb + ??? this is imho an unacceptable figure in todays market where u could get an almost indestructible frames in the 10 - 11 lb zone. while many can argue that 3 lb are not important , it could be very significant for a dh race bike (and there is a dh logo on that frame if im not mistaken
:) )

price - 5200 $ for specialized tires (ultra heavy and wide btw) ,seat, post ,bar . grips and pedals ??? what about aome easton/thompson/maxxis/hope lovin? come on spec , u can do better than that !

the bike could be the real deal ,but for a potential buyer that cant demo the bike prior to purchase (most of us i guess) , those figures are somwhat of a problem. i (for example) only pedald it around a bike shop here in israel , and couldnt figure anything about it.

ilfreerider

p.s - some how i get the feeling that next year's d9 will have different num's (but thats just me).

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
ilfreerider said:
while i want to be optemistic about the demo 9 (i love the look and concept of the bike) , the dry numbers just doesnt look good.
wb - the wb on specialized site says 46.5 " for the m and 47.3 " (!!!) for the l. i know it is measured with a 888 , but all bikes that ive checked till now had a slightly longer wb than the official company numbers.

weight - if the 14 lb + figure is true , than this frame is a fu@#$%# beast! my big hit weighs signifacantly less and it is strong as hell , so why did spec need an extra 3 lb + ??? this is imho an unacceptable figure in todays market where u could get an almost indestructible frames in the 10 - 11 lb zone. while many can argue that 3 lb are not important , it could be very significant for a dh race bike (and there is a dh logo on that frame if im not mistaken
:) )

price - 5200 $ for specialized tires (ultra heavy and wide btw) ,seat, post ,bar . grips and pedals ??? what about aome easton/thompson/maxxis/hope lovin? come on spec , u can do better than that !

the bike could be the real deal ,but for a potential buyer that cant demo the bike prior to purchase (most of us i guess) , those figures are somwhat of a problem. i (for example) only pedald it around a bike shop here in israel , and couldnt figure anything about it.

ilfreerider

p.s - some how i get the feeling that next year's d9 will have different num's (but thats just me).
I think the geometry #'s on the Demo9 are pretty much spot on. I was lucky enough to have spent time riding one and I can say with all sincerity that the bike is unbelievable. I had a few potential skepticism's about the bike prior to riding it but after the fact all doubts were completely erased. Not only were they erased but any positives I had preconcieved about the bike due to reading all of the hype and hearing testimonials were better than I had imagined. I currently have a Kona Stinky Primo, which nobody is claiming to be high tech, super high performance bike. However as proven by many top pros, it is a capable bike in the right hands. I love my Kona and have been comfortable doing things on it that I have never been comfortable doing on any other bike in the past and I have had a lot of bikes. However after only a few pedals in the dirt on the Demo9, I felt like it was my bike, everything just clicked and worked in harmony. THe huge and heavy Specialized tires not only gripped the ground but added even more cush to the already super plush suspension. For the record Specialized tires are not a re-badged no name tire, they are well engineered and manufactured high end tires that are comparable to Maxxis and IMO better than Intense and Kenda and many others. By going to a 2.5" tire and Stan's you can drop well over 5lbs. off of the stock weight (Specialized also puts huge DH tubes in the Demo so Stan's is a huge benefit) I do agree however that a Thomson post and some Hope 6 pots and a king headset would be par for the course at over 5G's! Back to the review. Even though the bike has 9" of buttery travel, it pedals as efficiently as my Kona and stays much more active through rocks and while braking. I have always been against heavy overbuilt bikes bikes due to their inability to be maneuvered fast and man handled around. I didn't weigh the Demo9 but I could only tell it's weight by picking it up staticly. Once on the bike it felt more nimble than any other DH bike I have ridden regardless of weight. I think the wieght combined with the super low center of gravity is what makes the bike work so well, it can be leaned over so far and it just sticks like glue. It can be swapped back and forth with ease. I hit a 12-15' vertical drop at UCSC (that was new to me) and on my first try I cased this big gnarly redwood root right on the bashring, I though I was going to eat $hit so hard but upon impact the Demo just swallowed it up. It did take a huge gash out of the root though. I did also tweak my ankle pretty bad but I have to say that any other bike and I would have not gotten off so easily, the Demo rode right over it and didn't complain. I went back and hit it again and cleared the root and the Demo made it feel like nothing at all, seriously. Ride a Demo...fall in love...it is the best thing available right now. PERIOD

*Disclaimer: I have zero afilliation with the big "S" and stand to gain nothing by whoring myself out like this. The bike just phuckin' rips $hit! :thumb:

ilfreerider

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
israel
nice review man . as i said , i very much like the bike and would kill for a real test ride. also, im glad to see its not always the numbers that count and from what ive seen so far , it gets great reviews (i dont think ive read a bad one yet).
i was supposed to replace my big hit with a new bike (giant dh or iron horse) but b/c of money issues i think ill wait - who knows , maybe it will eventually be one of the demo's.

gil

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I forgot to mention that I wouldn't be surprised if the Demo9 lost a pound or two for '05 (Whether frame or component spec) but I wouldn't hold my breath. I am also curious to see what other Demo line bikes are available in '05 ie; Demo6 or 7 (Big Hit replacement?) or maybe even Demo4 or 5 (SX replacement?) I have heard mumblings of a whole line of Demo's for 2005 I guess we'll just have to wait and see?