Quantcast

Deciding on a new dedicated 24"

Oct 9, 2006
So I am laid out for the next two and a half months with a broken foot and cant ride. I recently sold my Specialized p.1 to a buddy and have another park bike built up on 24s, it is a 26" wheeler frame and I am looking to get a 24" specific frame.

I am 6'1" and about 178 now...who knows how fat I will be by the time I am done healing...may be looking like Peter Griffin from family guy.

So who is riding what 24" specific frames out there and how do you like them. I am open to any suggestions as I have availability to nearly any manufacturer through work.

I have a set of Halo wheels that are about to be relaced to the Halo single speed driver rear and 20mm front. I am running Deity bar/stem and Deity cranks.

Thanks in advance.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
USB Molly, Tonic Fall Guy, uh, not sure if there are really any other good options. Lol, there are, Superco and Simple I believe have nice options, some bikes can be run with 24's as well, but the bbrkts set up low and you said dedicated soooo...

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
there are several options out there check out the 24 inches of love thread to browse through various setups and options. I went with a molly personally good geo and bang for the buck. but there are other options such as tonic fab and superco along with a few offerings from dmr, NS bikes, among others i could be missing many. alot depends on what type of discs, hubs and forks you want to run.

Oct 9, 2006
I reckon I should have mentioned that disc brakes would be necessary due to the wheel set I will be running. I know that Profile makes a 110mm disc hub now but who the hell makes a 110 frame with disc tabs?

Anyhow thanks so far for all the suggestions...many of the Mollys I have seen look really effin nice as well as the Fallguys.

But I have all the stuff already for a build up with 135mm and disc brake rear and not to mention the Molly has a Spanish bottom bracket...I dont own a single spanish bottom bracket. I think they are all Icelandic or something Norse like.

Thanks again guys, I might look into some of the Eastern Frames, if I have to go that way to get disc tabs.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
also check out the nem pro deathmobile. custom geo, light, strong as piss, and custom colors. love mine and have been beating on it for over a year only bike i have not broken

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
also check out the nem pro deathmobile. custom geo, light, strong as piss, and custom colors. love mine and have been beating on it for over a year only bike i have not broken
YES as Dexter mentioned , I too highly suggest the DeathMobile !
We have 110mm and now 135 disk specific version's currently being produced .
Here's a shot of French BMX/MTB pro David Desnoës on a Deathmobile

More shot's on the nem-pro blog

If the Deathmobile is a little too steep for your budget we also still have 3 of the Terrorbox proto's for $350ea built for us by the same high end factory that builds all the frames for FLYbikes.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
"thats an easy one, tonic fallguy

or, i guess, you could get a molly like everyone else and fit in "

I dont think molly's are purchased to fit in. They have recently taken off in popularity for a number of reasons. They are very light, and are one of the more affordable hand built 24 specific frames, while still offering the dedicated geometry. If you look at the 24 inches of love thread there were many more fally guys in the beggining of the thread, while several of the mollys are posted in the later pages. This is also because many generation 4s are recently being built up (like my own.)
By no means, am i trying to start a fallguy/ molly debate. There both awesome bikes made by small personal owned companies. But theres no reason to say molly's are purchased to fit in.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
I wouldn't stress that, but like you said there have been a lot of Molly's popping up lately and perhaps some people view that as being the new "in crowd". What ever, I'm getting a FG and I still think Molly's are dope. Long live both of 'em!

Oct 9, 2006
Both the Tonic and the USB are super nice bike and I actually really like the super clean looks of the Molly, and that would be my first choice if I didnt already have all the parts to build it up with a 135mm disc rear and euro bottom bracket.

I am not opposed to relacing my rear wheel to a 110mm disc hub as I believe Profile now makes one, however the hoops I have already are non-rim brake compatible. And I am going with a rigid suspension corrected fork spec'd at 90mm believe. The fork is black and whichever frame I get would be black preferably as to keep it as clean looking as possible.

The bar, stem, cranks and hoops are all white deity/halo stuff a roommate traded me for. So I was thinking white halo cassette drive rear disc hub and black spokes or vice versa and match the front wheel setup accordingly.

I guess at this point if I were to choose between the two listed above I would be inclined to choose the Molly because they offer a V-brake compatible model. Being a freerider/downhiller I have gotten accustomed to the stopping power of discs and cant seem to get used to 990's lack of performance.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
"thats an easy one, tonic fallguy

or, i guess, you could get a molly like everyone else and fit in "

I dont think molly's are purchased to fit in. They have recently taken off in popularity for a number of reasons. They are very light, and are one of the more affordable hand built 24 specific frames, while still offering the dedicated geometry. If you look at the 24 inches of love thread there were many more fally guys in the beggining of the thread, while several of the mollys are posted in the later pages. This is also because many generation 4s are recently being built up (like my own.)
By no means, am i trying to start a fallguy/ molly debate. There both awesome bikes made by small personal owned companies. But theres no reason to say molly's are purchased to fit in.
ahm, i was making a joke, obviously.hence the 25 winky and smiley faces after that comment. i've ridden both bikes and they are both great. geez! if i didnt have a fallguy, i would be riding a molly. believe that.

besides, everyone knows that people buy BMX bikes to fit in.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
You know what would be cool/crazy, Profile is doing a fixed gear hub now. Imagine a 24" MTB (urban/jumpie/whatever) but with a fixie setup. That would a whole new element to riding.

And you thought that freecoasters were nuts! Pedal air everything!