Quantcast

DC to BC

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
The NoVA/DC/MD segment of Ridemonkey was well represented last week at Whistler. There were no less than 11 of us, seven in our NoVA group and four others from MD. DBR and Mobius' story will be filled in later when they return from their epic cross country MTB road trip but they served as the vanguard of our group, arriving in Whistler around July 8 after picking up SarahMaria in Seattle.

SDH, Mobius, AC Rider 1, and DBR chilling on the condo deck...

For me, the most anticipated aspect of this year's Whistler trip was checking out the new trails coming down from the greatly hyped Garbanzo expansion. Based on the little snippets of Garbanzo that I had seen from various media teasers I couldn't wait to get up there. The ride up the Garbanzo lift itself is almost worth the price of admission. The views span the surrounding mountain ranges and back down across the entire valley...

This is the spectacular landscape you see if you look toward your left on the way up the Garbanzo lift...

Looking back at the village from the Garbanzo lift...

My first run down from Garbanzo was on No Joke. It had rained in the previous days so the trail was pretty greasy and slick. Think Snowshoe. Things dried up more and more as one descended but not until hitting the entrance to a trail called Duffman. To be honest, I was somewhat ambivalent about Garbanzo after the first run and I was afraid that the hype would be somewhat hollow. However, the next day I went back up and hit Original Sin to Goat's Gully to In Deep to Duffman when the trails had dried up considerably and I couldn't be happier. The promise of Garbanzo had come to fruition. That has become my favorite run on the mountain. In one run you get steep, rooty singletrack, several steep rock roll downs, a few step-ups and hip jumps, and a wall ride for good measure. Throw in the fact that at the bottom of Duffman you connect to the bottom of Dirt Merchant where one can connect to lower A-Line and you've got a wicked killer run.

View from Original Sin on Garbanzo, looking back down into the valley (Click thumbnail for larger image)

From L to R: DamienC, Kirstin, AC Rider 1 on Original Sin...

It seemed like there was a daily bear sighting during this year's trip.

A few times we even saw a mama bear and her two cubs munching down on berries just above where Heart of Darkness cuts under the lift.

SDH hitting the Joyride drop park...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Having at least a whole week at Whistler, we took a break from the bike park by checking out some of the trails in the valley on the other side of the highway from Whistler village. We ended up on River Runs Through It, a mostly flat to rolling trail that offers a continuous assortment of skinnies, ladders, and stunts.

We were all very impressed by the quality of the construction found on this trail. Bridges were solid and high-traffic areas were well armored with stones. AC Rider 1 and I were taking copious mental notes from this trail as it serves as a great model of how to use ladders and stunts effectively on flat to rolling terrain; a great model for Conway Robinson State Forest out toward Manassas to be more specific.

SarahMaria on a roller on River Runs Through It...

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
After Whistler, the icing on the cake was spending some time in Vancouver playing on the North Shore. The afternoon following our departure from Whistler, we ended up on Mt. Seymour where we shuttled one run down CBC to Corkscrew to Pingu to Pangor. Talk about a flowy run. CBC is a spectacular piece of work and it's in great shape right now. I really liked how the stunts on these trails on Seymour are challenging but not impossible for us mere mortals. After one fantastic run, DBR, Mobius, and myself wanted another go while the others retired to find lodging for the night. We managed to hook up with the HuckWagon shuttle which took us back up to the top for another sweet run down Seymour. It really is a great service and part of what we paid for the shuttle goes to helping out trail work through NSMBA.

Skipping the details of an unfortunate, minor emergency... :rolleyes:...the next day we climbed up Fromme to do a run from Upper Oilcan to Oilcan.

Mobius on a skinny on Upper Oilcan...

DBR on the same...

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Excellent post! Looks like you guys had a fantastic time :) It would be awesome to have some of that kind of stuff near here.

Oh, speaking of Conway Robinson, did you see the little blurb about it in the latest Bike?

"IMBA recently announced authorized freedie areas worldwide; the four Mid-Atlantic locations are New Jersey's Diablo Freeride Park (www.diablofreeridepark.com), New York's Plattekill Mountain (www.plattekill.com), Virginia's WIntergreen Resort (www.wintergreenresort.com) and New York's Sprain Ridge Park (www.wmba.org)....Though not listed, Washington D.C. area freeriders are assisting MORE with the regions first public,legal, man-made stunts at Virginia's Conway Robinson State Forest (www.more-mtb.org). Pretty cool, guys!

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
..............perhaps more aptly titled...."From BC to A.D.d".. :blah:

...great pics.....looks like you guys had a blast......BTW, welcome home to "snores-ville"...ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Man, am I ever jealous and sad that I didn't get to go :(

Those pics are great, can I see more?

I really wish I would've gone, last friday I finally got my bike built and then I wrecked my car :mad: (it's totalled) "when it rains it poors"

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Castle said:
Those pics are great, can I see more?
I think DBR and Mobius just got back into town yesterday so hopefully we'll get to see some of their pics soon...well, DBR's anyway ;). Mark also got a bunch of great pics but hasn't posted any yet :rolleyes:.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Yeah, I'll get pics up tonite. Mostly road trip pics though; I didn't take many at whistler. Actually I think I have 6 exactly; all of Mobius and I on a-line. There's some real pretty scenery pics from Colorado and Idaho though...:rolleyes:

ed. -- oh yeah and some n.shore pics too, that should be cool.