Quantcast

Darwin of the Day

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
IIRC, that's Blenki and Wyn practicing for a race. on a closed course...
Hmm, not sure about that, as that means someone is on what appears to be an entry level fork (Boxxer Race?), X9 shifter, and some pretty wonky brake cable routing on said fork. Plus, it looks like both riders are wearing gloves, which would make me angry at Blenki (even moar angry than I get when he air-pedals :panic: )

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
winna

Local
Man Dies When Large Firework He’s Holding Next To His Head Explodes
June 29, 2015 2:49 PM
Share on email212

View Comments

(credit: istock)

Related Tags:
deadly incident, fireworks, mortar accident
WALLED LAKE (CBS Detroit) Police say a 47-year-old man died Sunday in Walled Lake when a large mortar fireworks shell he was holding next to his head exploded.

A mortar shell is typically about the size of a softball. They’re put together ahead of time and inserted into a tube from which they’re launched. Many types of mortars and other aerial fireworks were banned in Michigan until 2012 when the legislature loosened restrictions under public pressure to allow larger, typically considered more dangerous fireworks.

In this case of a firework gone wrong, the man’s family was “devastated” when the deadly incident unfolded in front of them at about 9:14 p.m. Sunday at a home on the 1500 block of Quinif Drive, according to Walled Lake Police Chief Paul Shakinas.

Shakinas said, when first responders arrived, they found the man unresponsive, not breathing, and suffering from severe trauma to the back of his head.

“Hands down, the worst I’ve ever seen,” Shakinas said. “I’ve seen (fireworks) accidents, but never causing a fatality. He was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Alcohol was a factor, the chief said, and the man may not have realized the firework had been lit.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Dude, that shark is scary. And people should not be allowed to operate fireworks unless properly trained... and after a breathalyzer.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
winna

Local
Man Dies When Large Firework He’s Holding Next To His Head Explodes
June 29, 2015 2:49 PM
Share on email212

View Comments

(credit: istock)

Related Tags:
deadly incident, fireworks, mortar accident
WALLED LAKE (CBS Detroit) Police say a 47-year-old man died Sunday in Walled Lake when a large mortar fireworks shell he was holding next to his head exploded.

A mortar shell is typically about the size of a softball. They’re put together ahead of time and inserted into a tube from which they’re launched. Many types of mortars and other aerial fireworks were banned in Michigan until 2012 when the legislature loosened restrictions under public pressure to allow larger, typically considered more dangerous fireworks.

In this case of a firework gone wrong, the man’s family was “devastated” when the deadly incident unfolded in front of them at about 9:14 p.m. Sunday at a home on the 1500 block of Quinif Drive, according to Walled Lake Police Chief Paul Shakinas.

Shakinas said, when first responders arrived, they found the man unresponsive, not breathing, and suffering from severe trauma to the back of his head.

“Hands down, the worst I’ve ever seen,” Shakinas said. “I’ve seen (fireworks) accidents, but never causing a fatality. He was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Alcohol was a factor, the chief said, and the man may not have realized the firework had been lit.

looks like the stupid happens in pairs!!
http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/07/05/police-maine-man-dies-after-trying-to-launch-firework-off-head/

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
Yeah, I guess its pretty surprising that a surfer (in California no less) would be blazed out of his gord, to the point that he is pointing and giggling about the (very) nearby presence of a large great white.

:drag:

Last edited:

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Well wouldn't you? I'm pretty sure it was a once in a lifetime experience for him, and I'm sure the trip to the bong hut made the experience even MORE incredible! :weee:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
I guess the possibility of a decidedly violent "once in a lifetime experience" would have me mildly concerned. In short, I'm a big marine vag when it comes to things larger than me in the ocean...especially ones with large, pointy teeth. I've been scuba diving with big grouper and barracuda, and even that was kinda disconcerting.

I'd probably just stay in the bong shed and watch shark week on my phone. :thumb:

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Barracudas are scary ass fish! That's legit! I'm with you on not wanting to share dude's experience though, my preference is bong shed, then SKIIIII!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well that didn't take long. Didn't he just recently post on here that he was quitting the bike biz to become a farrier ?

Is he ok, aside from any noticeable brain damage ?
He always had noticeable brain damage. The question is, was it any worse after the kick?