Quantcast

Damn French Taco!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
So last night on our Wednesday night ride, I was Just Riding Along when my wheel decided to relinquish its structural integrity! DAMN FRENCH!!!! I KNOW THEY MADE THIS RIM KNOWING IT WAS GOING TO BE USED BY AN AMERICAN!!!

I think MAVIC only sends their “seconds” to the USA! If I had money for gas I would be driving to Boston to throw a brick through MAVIC US HQ’s windows!!!

My parents are in France right now as I type, I hope they work out some trade embargos and sanctions on their inferior product producing @$$ES!!!!:rant:

THE THING BROKE RIGHT AT THE SEAM!!!

when the seam gave way the other side of the wheel cracked!!!

:banghead:

ps... JK

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
JRA huh......

what were you really doing?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
wow. I've had a few wheels taco on me, but never had the rim crack/break like that. It's hard to tell from the pics, but if it happened at the seam, was it a bad weld?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Just thought I would stir the pot before telling the real story....

we were bombing a donwhill long after dark on a section of trail where I have hit max speed in this park, there is a little rise in the trail enough to get a nice long air off of... you only are a foot off the ground but you fly for ever!!!! with my top speed on this hill around 35, I was a little conservative in estemating 25mph, but the guy with the gps said 27 when I hit the lip with a little more umph than I usually pull up. the trail curves slightly to the right, and I overshot the landing by 10 ft landing on the edge of the trail that was covered with freshly fallen wet leaves. (there is a cliff/drop off to the left) my rear wheel slid on the leave off the drop off, and as I tried to correct a split second before hitting a culvert, I remeber thinking "this is going to hurt" I highsided when my front wheel hit the culvert, and I double cartwheeled before landing on my feet, at which point I had to duck to allow my Yeti to pass me by at aprox. eye level!!!

I am lucky this is all that happened.... My shoulder is sore, and I have a nice bruise starting to bloom just above my knee on the outside of my thigh!

I guess, I have to order a new rim and spokes! this biking thing is starting to cost money.... last week a shifter, this week a wheel! Oh well its all in good fun.... and at least other than all the bumps and bruises, its all in good health!:bonk:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Rims don't last forever. Sucks that it happened and hope you're okay. Now go get a new rim and rebuild that thing. I've never had a problem with Mavic rims (that was the fault of the rim).

edit: okay, now the truth comes out.... If that's you're normal riding style, you might bump your rim up a bit from a 317 as well. They're nice a light, but don't take a lot of abuse. Glad to hear you're okay.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was a bit behind him it was pretty funny...Lucky some ladies on our ride were a bit slow and i got stuck behind them or i might have been using brungeman as a sled down our muddy mess of a trail...

All i could think about was the great picture it would be to have him standing there in all our headlights with a taco'd wheel...The ride was sloppy for everyone...I took a fall that looked like someone pushed the ejection button.

fast downhill + Mud + BIG angled wet root + high preasure = death.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have heard Mavic customer service is not so great too, are you going to try to warranty/return it?
At the shop there are some concerns with there customer service (its not the greatest)... but to answer your question, I hardly ever warrenty things!this was purely my fault! only an A-hole would try to warrenty it! We have had people come in with the whole "JRA" story, and I hardly ever believe it! There were only 2 situations where I saw something fail first hand during a JRA incedent... other than that "OPERATOR ERROR"!

the only thing I would warranty out of all my destroyed stuff, at this point are the 2 Race face X-type bottom brackets, that are toasted (one after only 6 rides, the other after 8 or 9) the RaceFace BB's kinda suck!!!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I was a bit behind him it was pretty funny...Lucky some ladies on our ride were a bit slow and i got stuck behind them or i might have been using brungeman as a sled down our muddy mess of a trail...

All i could think about was the great picture it would be to have him standing there in all our headlights with a taco'd wheel...The ride was sloppy for everyone...I took a fall that looked like someone pushed the ejection button.

fast downhill + Mud + BIG angled wet root + high preasure = death.
how are you feeling? my knee and shoulder have felt better that is for sure :disgust: I cant believe I fell there! of all places.... we were moving pretty good though!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
how are you feeling? my knee and shoulder have felt better that is for sure :disgust: I cant believe I fell there! of all places.... we were moving pretty good though!
I feel fine...I would still like to possibly do a ride tomorrow night after work before :cheers: so let me know if you are down.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Nice job! Sq-Earl will be proud of that work! He had to bump up from the X317 rims as he was "stop-signing" them rather often ;)

what rim did he change over to?

I am in the market you know!:bonk:

manhattanprjkt83 said:
I feel fine...I would still like to possibly do a ride tomorrow night after work before so let me know if you are down.
I will keep you posted hopefully I can get in to see the doc tonight! my shoulder is clicking louder and making more noise than a King rear hub!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
well played sir..... you should have let more folks get indignant with you. That would have been funny.
I know, but if anyone were truly perceptive they would have seen the just kidding in lemon chiffon at the bottom!:biggrin:

douglas said:
nice job on the rim, keep up the good work
any suggestions on a replacement?