Quantcast

cx bike pics

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
c'mon we know you guys are building em.

here's mine, sans bartape (yellow cork is going on)
build list:
thomson 110x5 stem
salsa estrada bar
thomson seat post
slr
eggbeaters
da 9spd rear shifter
ulterga everything else
*waiting for new shimano canti's*
wheels pictured are crappy training wheels, will be using either my ulterga/openpro set and/or my powertap/openpro

got some more pics coming too, excuse my crappy camera. all i've got is my camera phone

Attachments

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
recidivist said:

probably out of all of my bikes i think my planet cross is my favorite. it's just so much fun to ride. the geometry on that bike is frickin DIALED. those guys have worked so hard on fine tuning it and it just rips.....such a stable it's freaky

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Saturday is Brecktobercross in Breckenridge. 1st race of the season for me.

Yes Indie, it is still the Rocky, with top levers and a new seatpost, and new wheels. :)

Mtbike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Indiana
Nice rides, if anyone wants to get into "cross" on the cheap, check a Surly Cross Check......4130 Chromo......Strong and Responsive. Complete bikes and frames. Also makes great commuter and touring rig.

www.surlybikes.com

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Squeak said:
Saturday is Brecktobercross in Breckenridge. 1st race of the season for me.

Yes Indie, it is still the Rocky, with top levers and a new seatpost, and new wheels. :)
i've done away with the topmounts this year. gonna give it a shot with out em

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Uhh. I'm rockin this thing. This weekend is my first race on it. I've only got about 100 miles on it cuz I spend all my time on my road bike.

I got rid of the stock saddle and replaced with a selle italia flight ti. The pedals were replaced with eggbeaters.

I don't like the second brake levers (don't know what they are called). They're basicaly just a waste of weight.

OH yeah, I flopped the stem over so I'm not in old person cruiser mode.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
mattv2099 said:
Uhh. I'm rockin this thing. This weekend is my first race on it. I've only got about 100 miles on it cuz I spend all my time on my road bike.

I got rid of the stock saddle and replaced with a selle italia flight ti. The pedals were replaced with eggbeaters.

I don't like the second brake levers (don't know what they are called). They're basicaly just a waste of weight.

OH yeah, I flopped the stem over so I'm not in old person cruiser mode.

flip the stem back over. it's a better position on a cx bike.

the top mount levers aren't for everyone. i had em on my bike last year and i took em off this year. decided that i'd try it with out them. i felt like they were a crutch.....

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
:help:

newb ?'s (I never even watched one of these but indieboy says I should go race one)

what happens if you hit or knock over one of the man made obstacles?

would would be better to use, my dul suspension xc bike or my roadbike?

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
douglas said:
Or if you're like me, you're too tired to run straight and trip over your own bike? Fall down, swear, get up again. Folks laugh at you. BFD.

Depends on the course. The traditional (Euro) answer would be road bike, but here in the US of A, mountain bike values have crept into some course design, making many of them more MTB friendly. If there's anyway to use an XC hardtail (beg, borrow, steal with a bic pen), I'd use that.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I just had the first ride on my new pain mobile! I use to race alot of road and crosscountry and after all that crap I am stoked to get some in cross. My goal is to compete in two series this winter so that I can bring it a little more in the DH and MTNX season. My first cx bike was a 1992 Fat Chance Yo -eddy single speed and that was cool but the new rig is off the chain. Anyway, thanks for looking and here's da breakdown.

Frame: Small 2004 Giant TCS
Fork: Giant Carbon
Wheels: Ultegra/ Mavic
Tires: Maxxis Mimo (thanks Maxxis)
H-Bar: Salsa Bell lap
Shifters: Ultera Sti
BB: Ultegra
Cranks: Ultegra
Rings: FSA 34/42
Cassette: Shimano 27-12
Rear Derailluer: Dura-ace
Front Derailluer: Ultegra
Seatpost: Thomson
Stem: Thomson
Brakes: Avid Cantis
Pedals: Time Atac
Saddle: Era
weight: 20lbs

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Here is mine.

Rocky Mountain Rail
Ritchey cross cranks
32 h Mavic open pros w\ultegra hubs
Thompson post
Hutchenson Cross tires
Time ATACs
105 shifters and der.

Attachments

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Funky Monk said:
I'm liking the IF PX's... drool.
easily one of the nicest, if not the nicest cx bike on the market.....i LOVE mine. the bike just finds its' own lines and rips through them. handles well at both low and high speeds making transitions on and off the bike very easy. the tall headtube (something the larger companies making cx bikes don't get yet) allows for more room to shoulder the bike. the bridgeless chainstays leaves plenty of room for mud to make it's way through and not get clogged up. there are tons of little things about this bike that just add to how great it is.

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct

kinda dark, and the spec is outdated by now, but you get the gist of it. ibis hakkalugi. total pain machine. cx is so much fun.....

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
yeah, me three. not to get off topic (and I'll post a new pic once the new shoes are mounted) but does anyone know what Scot Nicol is up to these days?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
douglas said:

newb ?'s (I never even watched one of these but indieboy says I should go race one)

Are you considering Pittsfield for your first CX race? If you can fit 28's on your road bike I'd say go with it. You might as well not even race if you are going to haul around a 28lb cross bike.

Bums me out that I'm going to miss Pittsfield and Northfield again this year, but I need to spend all weekend locked in a room building show bikes for Interbike.

ahbrooks

Chimp
Dec 30, 2003
ca/ct
Yeah, my parents have one hanging in the kitchen. My pops has a couple Eisentrauts, and Curtis Inglis lives in town....