Quantcast

custom steel downhill frames

CyberJay

Chimp
Nov 4, 2001
East Windsor, NJ
I've got two seatposts by Thick.. they're real nice. My patriot is on their site somewhere. I don't know that he could handle suspension design, but his fab skills are deffinitely top notch.

I think Jimmy at Hood will do custom stuff for ya.

-Jay

lanman

Monkey
Nov 2, 2001
Natick, MA
The "Rompah Stompah" made by Aztech. It's a tiny company owned by a guy in NH, he makes awesome single pivot steel bikes, I really like them, in fact my friend and I are building up something similar with his permission, go over to bustedspoke.com and look up rompah stompah, he doesnt have a site. He does all custom stuff, so I'm sure he could do whatever size you want, with however much travel.

Also check out the Hood Bikes Mussel at http://hoodbikes.com/ . It's a beast, weighs like 60 pounds but its an absolute tank, you'd never break it.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Give a try at keewee bikes nz.... they produce AWESOME STEEL DH bikes... and they are very well engineered. Full 4130 cromo. Oh and the price is 1/2 of the ones mentioned here...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Way to go Lad... you got there first...i was about to do exactly the same thing!

I just wonder whats the warranty on those babies and how do they handle along with whats the quality of construction on them.

Any ideas tenacious?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
HOOD. With a reasonable parts spec they do NOT weigh 60 pounds, more like 45. Very simple, elegant design, with that fine Spooky heritage...

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by narlus
please show me a DH mfg which carries a 5 year warranty, regardless of what material you are making it from.
Specialized (demo9, bighit, SX for 4x)
Banshee (scream)
Scott (hi-octane DH)
Giant (team DH)
Cannondale ( gemini dh)
Trek (diesel DH)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Originally posted by math2014
Specialized (demo9, bighit, SX for 4x)
Banshee (scream)
Scott (hi-octane DH)
Giant (team DH)
Cannondale ( gemini dh)
Trek (diesel DH)
i guess it all depends on "use and abuse" and mode of failure. i've heard that spec'ed and giant is very generous w/ their warranty dept anyway, but i'm still a bit sceptical.

anyway, how many people are riding '00 frames these days? do you really want a DH bike to last that long, w/ the advances being made out there?

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by Tenacious Doug
Now show me just how many people still bother riding 5 year old DH bikes at races. Some, but not many.
I totally agree with you mate. For racers its useless. For a weekend warrior who cannot afford 3500$ for frame every year or two though, warranties make a great deal of sense...they at least offer peace of mind.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
i guess it all depends on "use and abuse" and mode of failure. i've heard that spec'ed and giant is very generous w/ their warranty dept anyway, but i'm still a bit sceptical.

anyway, how many people are riding '00 frames these days? do you really want a DH bike to last that long, w/ the advances being made out there?
Again as i replied to tenacious, i agree with this point. My concern though is, if i have or want to replace my frame/bike every 2/3 yrs with something newer or something to replace a broken frame... then definately i would ask for lower frame prices... call me stupid but, for a casual rider who wants to have weekend fun, 3000$ for a disposable frame is not a good idea. Make it not that easily disposable or make it cheaper and disposable... at least for me...who isnt a racer or sponsored ...just a weekend warrior.

mental

Monkey
Sep 13, 2001
Nelson, BC
But don't you see the problem here? It's the friggin expectation of lifetime warranties that's at least partly to blame for the high prices we're currently paying.

I've broken a ton of **** and I've used more than my share of warranties, but I really think (especially considering the sport's direction) you break it, tough ****! Just like in the dirt bike market.

I can see it coming sooner rather than later - crash replacement only, otherwise, you're SOL.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by lanman
The "Rompah Stompah" made by Aztech. It's a tiny company owned by a guy in NH.....
Sean Azarouski. I think thats how he spells it. I saw a mid-travel design of his over the winter and finally saw a Rompah this weekend. It looks very cool. He uses a lot of square tubing with mitered bends to form the rear ends. Looks nice.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I would still be riding my 2000 M-1 if I hadn't sold it. :(

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area

Sorry T, but I don't plan on selling my M1 until it breaks or gets so pounded that I can't stand to look at it. FSR is a proven design, and SPV makes everything better. My M1 is a 2002. When I started DHing, it made sense to upgrade every two years or so, but now the suspenmsion/shock designs seem to have plateaued. It was like the last 5 years saw massive inovations in suspension configuration and shock/fork design, and the next few years are going to see developments in stuuf like GBox technology. Looks like Honda could be poised to take over the DH market. Can't wait to see my first riced-out DH bike!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
but other component advances can make a frame obsolete too, aside from rear shocks. how about rear hub (spacing and axles), bb interfaces, steerer tube size for forks, etc?

you can definitely still get life out of an older bike, but it's a diminishing returns thing (and if you do, say, break a 4 year old swingarm, what're the odds the company still has one in stock?). i tend to agree (as usual) w/ mental's take on things. granted, there are defects in materials and manufacturing, but usually a frame dies because of wear and tear.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
With regards to thick bikes (thread highjack back on to topic). I have a custom set of handle bars and a custom 1.5" steerer, rigid fork w 20mm axle on the way. I just saw it in a jig the other day and like the way it is looking a lot.

Chris is a really cool guy, and I am a big fan of his work. If you decide to ask him to build you up something, make sure you work out and agree upon a time frame for that work. I would reccomend him for his product though, 100%, and his willingness to make your design a functional reality.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
but other component advances can make a frame obsolete too, aside from rear shocks. how about rear hub (spacing and axles), bb interfaces, steerer tube size for forks, etc?

you can definitely still get life out of an older bike, but it's a diminishing returns thing (and if you do, say, break a 4 year old swingarm, what're the odds the company still has one in stock?). i tend to agree (as usual) w/ mental's take on things. granted, there are defects in materials and manufacturing, but usually a frame dies because of wear and tear.
Agreed, let my buy a 2000$ frame with 6months workmanship warranty, and then offer me a lifetime crash replacement police at FACTORY cost... not Dealer cost.... ie, around 800$ for the same frame (correct me on the prices). I would pick that over any warranty...and i guess that would bring a lot of prices down...

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Agreed, let my buy a 2000$ frame with 6months workmanship warranty, and then offer me a lifetime crash replacement police at FACTORY cost... not Dealer cost.... ie, around 800$ for the same frame (correct me on the prices). I would pick that over any warranty...and i guess that would bring a lot of prices down...
Thats going to hit manufacturers pretty damn hard if they are selling crash replacements for a lifetime, at no profit to them OR to the dealer....everyone would be looking to wrap their frame around a tree after 2 or 3 years cause they know they will get a new one for next to nothing. That will drive some of the smaller manufacturers into the ground very quickly.

That wouldnt drive cost down, it would drive them up from all the frames that they were making zero profit from.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Thats going to hit manufacturers pretty damn hard if they are selling crash replacements for a lifetime, at no profit to them OR to the dealer....everyone would be looking to wrap their frame around a tree after 2 or 3 years cause they know they will get a new one for next to nothing. That will drive some of the smaller manufacturers into the ground very quickly.

That wouldnt drive cost down, it would drive them up from all the frames that they were making zero profit from.
i stand corrected! my bad.

5yrs crash policy at cost
and then the rest at dealer cost maybe?

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
i stand corrected! my bad.

5yrs crash policy at cost
and then the rest at dealer cost maybe?
To be honest I see any sort of lifetime crash replacement scheme as being a bad thing, at least a warranty is to a degree controllable by the manufacturer who can ensure they have a quality product going out onto the market. A crash replacement is a bit too open, someone comes into the shop with a 10 year old frame that they have wrapped around a tree but because of the crash replacement scheme the manufacturer has in place, I, the dealer, is expected to get them a new one without making a penny for myself!

If I wrap my car round a tree I wouldnt expect the dealer to give me a new one without making a profit on it, I know the situations are different but you can see what I am getting at.

I still think that 5 years is a reasonable lifespan for a high end DH frame, if I was buying a frame tomorrow I would see a full 5 year warranty as being very generous, 1 year warranty and 5 year crash replacement (at a price that still makes the dealer a %) would still be good in my books.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
To be honest I see any sort of lifetime crash replacement scheme as being a bad thing, at least a warranty is to a degree controllable by the manufacturer who can ensure they have a quality product going out onto the market. A crash replacement is a bit too open, someone comes into the shop with a 10 year old frame that they have wrapped around a tree but because of the crash replacement scheme the manufacturer has in place, I, the dealer, is expected to get them a new one without making a penny for myself!

If I wrap my car round a tree I wouldnt expect the dealer to give me a new one without making a profit on it, I know the situations are different but you can see what I am getting at.

I still think that 5 years is a reasonable lifespan for a high end DH frame, if I was buying a frame tomorrow I would see a full 5 year warranty as being very generous, 1 year warranty and 5 year crash replacement (at a price that still makes the dealer a %) would still be good in my books.
You got a bike shop dont you?