Quantcast

Curiousity kills the cat: Edge Composites AM Rims

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
haven't tried them myself but heard nothing but good things about them. think there is a thread or 2 on them over on mtbr

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Again, anothe question that just boggles my mind.

Why the hell would you EVER risk running something like that on such a critical part of your bike? I mean seriously, what do you really think you're going to gain? Isn't the worry alone enough of a reasont o avoid something like that?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
those are sweet. only a matter of time before a carbon dh rim comes out (not saying these in particular are suitable). wicked light & stiff & resistant to denting. apart from the price (dh'ers got deep pockets, so they're sure to sell regardless).

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If they could make them soft to avoid pinching the tire but still strong and stiff for DH that would be cool. Seems like that is what carbon can do but I just don't know how carbon would stand up to direct rock impact.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA

Why the hell would you EVER risk running something like that on such a critical part of your bike? I mean seriously, what do you really think you're going to gain? Isn't the worry alone enough of a reasont o avoid something like that?
Carbon will work fine if it's constructed properly.

The price/performance ratio is the big problem...

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Carbon will work fine if it's constructed properly.

The price/performance ratio is the big problem...
what he said

honestly, i am not contemplating whether to buy those things or not, they are too expensive but as said i am curious :)

Last edited:

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
We have two riders here in Ogden Utah that are running them. Mitch Ropolto and Ben Cranner. They are working for them but they are spendy. I would not ride a Carbon AM wheel on a dh bike but on my XC bike they would be ok.
VM

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009

to some fools, "bling" is the whole reason for owning a bike. the pose. the parking lot pose at the trailhead, the internet pose with e-pictures and a parts spec list.

anyone who thinks having a carbon rim is the make-or-break on winning a race or landing a trick... fool!

and that's not even considering the environmental hazards of producing carbon fiber products. of course, that's irrelevant to most Americans, since we're the greatest nation on earth and that means the earth will heal itself just for us, we're so special!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
If anything, the Edge Rims are TOO strong for DH use. I would see cracking and shearing hub flanges before you would do damage to the rims.

I have a few sets of the xc rims, which are passed around between team riders here. Running tubed or tubeless we haven't had any flats riding like the crazed apes we are, but I am still a little afraid of pinch flats for DH-type use. These are way, way stiffer than the Mavic UST rims that are already far too stiff to avoid flats.

The lateral stiffness is just so amazing....

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
to some fools, "bling" is the whole reason for owning a bike. the pose. the parking lot pose at the trailhead, the internet pose with e-pictures and a parts spec list.
or perhaps they just like neat bikes? some of us lust after sexy high tech bits & are well aware of the diminishing cost / performance gain ratio in the upper realm of exotica. it's just another facet of the passion.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle

I just don't understand this attitude. I think it shows a closed mind and lack of understanding of the current state of carbon development and carbon's potential. I thought we were done with the mindset that carbon will shatter if you look at it funny...but I guess not.

After going through bunches of mavic and DT rims I'm ready to try something more durable without a weight penalty. I have some industry buddies that have been beating on these on their trail bikes since last year and they are still pretty much perfect. I've ridden them a bit and as someone else said, the stiffness is amazing, very much noticeable. I have been clamoring for a set of DH wheels for testing but so far no luck. The cost is the only reason I haven't done it myself, but I expect the cost will come down over time.

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
so far nobody really tried those wheels/rims for DH use?

btw for the curious US americans Edge does have a demo program available...

need info :D

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the EXC1550 looks hot (28mm rim; basically a carbon version of the EX1750, only 200g lighter). of course price will be the big question. there's a few carbon rim manufacturers now, so cost will inevitably come down.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

anyone who thinks having a carbon rim is the make-or-break on winning a race or landing a trick... fool!

and that's not even considering the environmental hazards of producing carbon fiber products. of course, that's irrelevant to most Americans, since we're the greatest nation on earth and that means the earth will heal itself just for us, we're so special!
While I would be more than a bit nervous riding carbon Dh wheels just due to how scratched and nicked they will get, I have no doubt they could be built strong enough.

Also, wheels are THE area to drop weight. Rotational weight is one of the biggest difference you can make, weight wise. Acceleration out of corners is faster on lighter wheels/tires and that can indeed win races. Just ask Mich Hannah at wheels of speed... .001 difference. Or sam this week at Maribor, .7 difference.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
While I would be more than a bit nervous riding carbon Dh wheels just due to how scratched and nicked they will get, I have no doubt they could be built strong enough.

Also, wheels are THE area to drop weight. Rotational weight is one of the biggest difference you can make, weight wise. Acceleration out of corners is faster on lighter wheels/tires and that can indeed win races. Just ask Mich Hannah at wheels of speed... .001 difference. Or sam this week at Maribor, .7 difference.
Agreed, but I don't even care if they are lighter. Stiffer and more dent resistant is what I'm after. Lighter would be great, sure, but I'm a hack and I don't race DH. Those fractions of a second mean nothing to me.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA

Yeah, if Sam wasn't running EX1750's or Barel was using those wheels maybe the difference would have been over 1 sec of difference :boss:

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Ropelato has been using them all year so far, they have been working out well for him.

He cracked one at angelfire but the wheel held together and he didn't flat. AF is super rocky...

The weight savings is huge, they're wide, and super stiff.

Hidden spoke nipples makes for a pain in the ass, especially if setup tubeless.

I like to poke fun at carbon stuff for hardcore use, but i want a 30lb 7" bike and someday it will happen with carbon.

The rims would/could be great for raceday use, since they're so light and tortionally stiff! I'm still suspect of the flat resistance though. It seems everyone i know wants a sorta stiff, sorta soft rim that wont flat spot 4 spokes but will dent before a flat happens.

Maybe for my AM bike.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I tested more than a few rims at Topolino, road rims mind you, and I have to say that Edge makes a damn fine rim. Some of the brain trust from Reynolds ran away to develop their own business, and they are doing a bang-up job of it.

The internal spoke nipples add heaps to the strength of a carbon rim. The size of the spoke hole is directly related to the number of interrupted fibers in the spoke bed. It's not that much of a pain. I remove the wheel to swap tires way more than to true the wheel. Using a nut driver on the nips also lets you run buttloads more tension. stiffer, happier wheels and riders are the result.

I won't be shelling out the cash for a set, but if I had to pick a manufacturer to make MTB rims, they would be up there.