Quantcast

Creak-Free Single Crowns?

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Right now I'm riding a 2001 Yeti AS-X (4-6" trailbike, not real burly like the later AS-X) with an 02' Shiver SC. Unfortunately the shiver is just about dead. Its starting to make creaking noises and oil is seeping out from under the crown leading me to believe the crown and or upper leg is cracked. I plan on calling marzocchi next week after I'm done with finals. I realize they won't give me a warranty, which is fine, although maybe they'll offer crash replacement or repair it for a few $$$.

My question is what fork can I get that will not crack at the crown and still function well for XC/Trail riding? I've had this problem before and I hate creaky forks. I mainly use this bike as a trail bike, doing drops up to 6 feet or so. This fork will see alot of climbing and I would like a more trailbike oriented fork as long as it is durable. I have my Turner DHR/888r for DH/big stuff. I weigh about 175.

My options are the following as I see them(along with the lowest prices I can find:

Marzocchi:
2005 Z1 FR1 $550 (too much $$ for me)
2004 Z150 SL QR20 $400
(Maybe with the marz. I could get a deal on crash replacement?)

Manitou:
2005 Flick Plus 20mm: $425
2004 Flick 20mm: $350

RockShox:
Pike Team 20mm: $425
Pike SL 20mm: $325
Pike Race 20mm: $350

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
of the above forks listed i would go for a flick. because they are light, proven strong, and overall just work well. but yeah look into the travis!

also the pike looks like a good option. i just have no experance with they. one note thuogh the reba rocks! and i'm sure the pike is not to far off.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Discostu said:
Right now I'm riding a 2001 Yeti AS-X (4-6" trailbike, not real burly like the later AS-X) with an 02' Shiver SC. Unfortunately the shiver is just about dead. Its starting to make creaking noises and oil is seeping out from under the crown leading me to believe the crown and or upper leg is cracked. I plan on calling marzocchi next week after I'm done with finals. I realize they won't give me a warranty, which is fine, although maybe they'll offer crash replacement or repair it for a few $$$.

My question is what fork can I get that will not crack at the crown and still function well for XC/Trail riding? I've had this problem before and I hate creaky forks. I mainly use this bike as a trail bike, doing drops up to 6 feet or so. This fork will see alot of climbing and I would like a more trailbike oriented fork as long as it is durable. I have my Turner DHR/888r for DH/big stuff. I weigh about 175.

My options are the following as I see them(along with the lowest prices I can find:

Marzocchi:
2005 Z1 FR1 $550 (too much $$ for me)
2004 Z150 SL QR20 $400
(Maybe with the marz. I could get a deal on crash replacement?)

You can get Z-150's used for about 325...........But i think a pike would be a good chioce

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
Travis looks like it will be a DH fork like the 66. I know this means it will probably be strong, but its just not the right kind of fork for what I'm doing. I'm not interested in used, in case something does go wrong, I don't want to be completely without warranty.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
My pike has rocked! No complaints at all. Im a heavy abuse trail rider also.

Marz does have a trade in program. Check the Dirt, or decline mags.. theres an add in one of them.

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
Wow, I'm glad I found this thread. You're looking into the same forks I am. I have an 03 psylo XC and havent had too many problems. It's really bouncy even with a stiffer spring in it, and with the rebound all the way down or up or whatever makes it rebound slower. I heard yesterday for the first time the squeaks that people are talking about. Let me know how it goes.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
i really liek the rockshox stuff. i have an 01 pslyo. its beat to **** and stil doesnt creak. but then again i run it at 63mm.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
bballe336 said:
i really liek the rockshox stuff. i have an 01 pslyo. its beat to **** and stil doesnt creak. but then again i run it at 63mm.
I'm not too impressed with the quality of rockshox stuff at this point. In general I'm wary of plastic fork parts, and this includes the Sherman, not just the Pike. I would really like to go marzocchi if I can afford it. Marzocchi should give me a deal for being loyal, i've owned: 1998 Z3, 2000 Z1, 2001 Z1, 2002 Shiver SC, 2002 Super T, 2003 Junior T, 2004 888R. Hmm...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing