Quantcast

Crank question

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Hey guys im currently running the first version of Saints on my Socom. 73mm BB.
Im gonna upgrade this year to some holzfellers, havent decided which model yet.
Anyway my question is do the Truvative cranks come with an external BB or do you buy them seperatley. I cant seem to find sizing info except for length on any site.
Thanks.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Holzfellers use the TruVativ Howitzer BB - not really an 2-piece external system, more like a 3-piece crank.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
BB is separate, buy according to size. Its a downgrade IMO, but whatever floats your boat.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Ok thanks guys. Reason I was considering it, is because the Older Saints I have were 3 ring compatible. Therefore they have the 4 threaded tabs on the back. This caused some major problems setting up my G2. I had to grind all the tabs off. And the only way I could get it to work is by leaving the chain ring on the outside of the crank instead of the inside.
And I just know a few people that have the Truvative with a flawless chainline on the MRP. Its not really set in stone that im getting them yet. Also, I have no experience taking them off and my new Tracer came with a set ot Truvative and I havent quite figured out how to take them off.

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
Chainline is usually more dependent on your setup, not just what chainguide you run. You might find needing to make those same adjustments on a Truvativ crank or a Deity.

As for taking cranks off, you need an extractor for internal BB cranks to get the arms off, then a BB tool to get the BB out. For 2 piece cranks, one arm usually self extracts then the spindle slides out, BB still takes a tool to get out.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just dremel/file the granny gear bolts on your Saints and don't bother downgrading. Common thing to have to do w/ 3-ring cranks, I just did it on a new set of XT's.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Hey Chris. You could get any cranks......RF, new saits.what ever and just choose the single ring DH versions. Its my understanding that the Howitzer BB runs a very wide chainline.......something like 56mm. You should find out what the ideal chainline for the Socom is before you order cranks.
Cheers dude.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Just dremel/file the granny gear bolts on your Saints and don't bother downgrading. Common thing to have to do w/ 3-ring cranks, I just did it on a new set of XT's.

Ya I did that but still cant get the spacing right for the chainring to fit on the back. It works, im just afraid its gonna mess something up.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Hey Chris. You could get any cranks......RF, new saits.what ever and just choose the single ring DH versions. Its my understanding that the Howitzer BB runs a very wide chainline.......something like 56mm. You should find out what the ideal chainline for the Socom is before you order cranks.
Cheers dude.
Solid advice thanks Dave.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Cheers dude.
Only if you order that one.

The Socom is actually one of those bikes the Howitzer is a nice setup on..... Dont hate me guys, this is serious.... 73MM shell... So with the 135 rear dropouts, youll want the 51MM BB, if you go with or have the 150 drop outs, then yes you want the 56MM chainline BB for it. They really are easy to setup.

Now the part that consues people on teh howitzer is the 83MM version is sold as 56MM chainline only, thats mainly due to bikes with 83MM BB have 150 rear ends.

Here is why teh howitzer is so nice on bikes like the socom...... its a 73MM shell, and you dont need spacers to make an entire crankset made for 83MM BB work to get the proper chainline for a 150 rear end.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Oh yeah, this thread brought me to anouther question......Why does everyone always go to the Just grind the granny tabs off with a dremel, or grinder or ETC

Use a friggin Drill, super fast, super clean, doesnt get hot Much easier.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Oh yeah, this thread brought me to anouther question......Why does everyone always go to the Just grind the granny tabs off with a dremel, or grinder or ETC

Use a friggin Drill, super fast, super clean, doesnt get hot Much easier.
Ya that easily would have saved me an hour.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
No I havent yet. So where is the measurment actually taken from of the 56mm chainline BB?
Are you saying that their is one BB for both the 83mm and 56mm chainline bb? Due to the differences in the rear dropout spacing?

One thing to keep in mind... socom is a 73mm bb shell, if u run the truvativ cranks with external bearings, it's made to run 73mm with no spacer... so if u end up running a non iscg chainguide/ boomerang style, you may have problems of the spindle not being long enough... so if you go this route, make sure u run an iscg type chainguide.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
One thing to keep in mind... socom is a 73mm bb shell, if u run the truvativ cranks with external bearings, it's made to run 73mm with no spacer... so if u end up running a non iscg chainguide/ boomerang style, you may have problems of the spindle not being long enough... so if you go this route, make sure u run an iscg type chainguide.
Its an MRP G2 mini and thanks.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
No thats not correct, the 68/73BB is most def made for having a spacer on the drive side which is removed for an IScG adapter.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
No I havent yet. So where is the measurment actually taken from of the 56mm chainline BB?
Are you saying that their is one BB for both the 83mm and 56mm chainline bb? Due to the differences in the rear dropout spacing?
Truvativ on their howitzer system doesnt give a spindle length anymore, What I am saying is, that the 83MM BB doesnt give you any otehr option than a 56mm chainline, which bikes that have an 83MM BB will have a 150 rear end, needing the 56MM chainline.

If your Socom is set up with a 135 rear end, you will want the 68/73MM shell width, in the 51MM chainline. If you have the 150 rear<optional drop outs>You will need the 68/73 shell width, in teh 56MM chainline. This is why I like these for the socoms, older demos, and other bikes that had a 73mm bb shell that had a 150 rear end. Its alot easier to set it up properly without having to rig up some 83MM cranksets to run on a 73MM shell.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Truvativ on their howitzer system doesnt give a spindle length anymore, What I am saying is, that the 83MM BB doesnt give you any otehr option than a 56mm chainline, which bikes that have an 83MM BB will have a 150 rear end, needing the 56MM chainline.

If your Socom is set up with a 135 rear end, you will want the 68/73MM shell width, in the 51MM chainline. If you have the 150 rear<optional drop outs>You will need the 68/73 shell width, in teh 56MM chainline. This is why I like these for the socoms, older demos, and other bikes that had a 73mm bb shell that had a 150 rear end. Its alot easier to set it up properly without having to rig up some 83MM cranksets to run on a 73MM shell.
Mines 150mm rear with 73mm bb. Thanks man youve been a big help.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Hey Nowlan, I ran the OCT's on my 08 Blindside and they were a real good crank ran them all season and they held up pretty good and I am 235lb and beat on my stuff, I am not sure if your totally set on the Truvativ but I am gong with a new crank this time and my buddy runs them and y them the loves them swears by them actually the Profile Racing Cranks with Ti Spindle they are a BMX type crank all Cro Moly just as lite as the saints and OCT but way stronger he ran them for 3 seasons and they never flinched. Just a thought I got them for $235 with Ti spindle and Ti hardware.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
-> . <-

You should look into its uses...

BTW, the profiles are heavier, and with the Ti spindle, are not recomended for larger riders.

To the OP. Dig up one of the posts from this spring about cranks for Spec Demo. Several people wrote a bunch (over and over agian) about the specific requirements and possible crank options for 73mm bb frames with 55-57 mm chainlines (as you have).

Simplest solution is from DirtyMike although there are others (RF 83 -> 73 adapter). You will need some way (as mentioned) to space your guide out to the ring. Best solution is an ISCG adapter flipped. The other way would be long bolts and spacers.

Last edited:

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
-> . <-

You should look into its uses...

BTW, the profiles are heavier, and with the Ti spindle, are not recomended for larger riders.

To the OP. Dig up one of the posts from this spring about cranks for Spec Demo. Several people wrote a bunch (over and over agian) about the specific requirements and possible crank options for 73mm bb frames with 55-57 mm chainlines (as you have).

Simplest solution is from DirtyMike although there are others (RF 83 -> 73 adapter). You will need some way (as mentioned) to space your guide out to the ring. Best solution is an ISCG adapter flipped. The other way would be long bolts and spacers.
The profiles are lighter then the Saints and Truvativ's I have weigh them on a digi scale just crank arms though and I dont think the OP was talking about the OCT I brought them up and I also believe the profiles are stronger. Also my buddy has been on the same set of cranks with Ti spindle for 3 full race seasons and he is 6 ' 230lb, I am not getting the Ti spindle anyway but where did you read that the Ti spindle is not intended for bigger riders?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
The profiles are lighter then the Saints and Truvativ's I have weigh them on a digi scale just crank arms though and I dont think the OP was talking about the OCT I brought them up and I also believe the profiles are stronger. Also my buddy has been on the same set of cranks with Ti spindle for 3 full race seasons and he is 6 ' 230lb, I am not getting the Ti spindle anyway but where did you read that the Ti spindle is not intended for bigger riders?
I read that on every Ti part in existance, BB spindle, Pedals ETC..... Ti isnt always stronger, carbon isnt always lighter

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
I read that on every Ti part in existance, BB spindle, Pedals ETC..... Ti isnt always stronger, carbon isnt always lighter

I agree with you Ti isnt always stronger, but I was wondring where the OP got the info that said the Ti spindle is not intended for bigger riders. T

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
ahh you know it all depends with that stuff cause like I said buddy is 6 feet and 235lb and has been on the profiles for 3 full season of hard east coast riding and never touched them.. Thats why I ordered a set and they were the bomb back in the BMX days.. So when I saw they make a MTB crank set I was all over it..

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ive bent profiles, spindles and arms.

several

Never saints!

Lighter? with a ti spindle and anemic chainwheel, maybe. They're great for customizing chainlines, but at this point, MHO is they're a fashion statement. (Same for steel cranks in general)

They work, they're strong - bearing life can be problematic - ignore them and make sure you have a stout hammer when its time to remove em; but its probably time to move on.

The 'MTB' cranks are just the reg cranks with a euro BB and a spider, not a new or different product.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
ahh you know it all depends with that stuff cause like I said buddy is 6 feet and 235lb and has been on the profiles for 3 full season of hard east coast riding and never touched them.. Thats why I ordered a set and they were the bomb back in the BMX days.. So when I saw they make a MTB crank set I was all over it..
Ive bent profiles, spindles and arms.

several

Never saints!

Lighter? with a ti spindle and anemic chainwheel, maybe. They're great for customizing chainlines, but at this point, MHO is they're a fashion statement. (Same for steel cranks in general)

They work, they're strong - bearing life can be problematic - ignore them and make sure you have a stout hammer when its time to remove em; but its probably time to move on.

The 'MTB' cranks are just the reg cranks with a euro BB and a spider, not a new or different product.
What he said...I have replaced more than a few sets of bent Profiles on DH bikes. More than should be being replaced.