Quantcast

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I beleive it is time to force vaccine makers to license manufacturing to those companies with non-viable products but have manufacturing capacity (assuming said capacity supports alternate products), much like is done for war time manufacturing.

Merck has announced it has given up on it's vaccine
this. yeah, read/heard about the Merck bit yesterday. sounds as if they are going to concentrate efforts on drugs for treatment.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Parents have an appointment at Disneyland on Thursday for their first round of the vaccine, it remains unclear if the nurses administering it will be wearing Mickey and Mini costumes. Assuming lifting the stay-at-home order was based on science and not just Newsom trying to take the wind out of the recall petition's sails should maybe be able to see them again soonish, been almost a year.

Rock out

Cool idea, but hopefully those bubbles are soundproof.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just got back from the dentist (deemed an essential service I guess, despite the provincial lock-down in effect). He's Vietnamese. We were talking about when kids will go back to school in person. I was saying the numbers are coming back down to September levels (the lock down was imposed over the Christmas holidays due to a spike in levels over the holidays). He is expecting a new another wave due to the forthcoming Chinese New Year. He said remember last year when shit really hit the fan, it was related to Chinese New Year travel... I'm inclined to feel that travel restrictions and a certain level of education will make a difference... then again, you would have thought that before the Christmas wave. I guess the question is, is there really that many people out there that follow the Chinese calendar...

oh shit. :tinfoil:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Love da police some more

Actually I just tried to post something Dutch related since I've been meaning to ask for a while: are you still with us @Kevin?
Im still alive, just not online much anymore.
Too much negativity with all this covid and other stuff going on in the world.
Decided to ignore everything and just pretend the world is doing fine while planning to move back up to Northern Lapland to build my cabin in the woods...

Thanks for asking though, hope everything is going well for you and yours!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Decided to ignore everything and just pretend the world is doing fine while planning to move back up to Northern Lapland to build my cabin in the woods...

Glad to hear it!
If you ever feel like a break from frozen cabin fever let me know, you're welcome to borrow my place in St Jean D'aulps.

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world

Cool, good to know you're still alive and kicking. Here at middle age monkey most of the negativity is about joint pain and wheel sizes, so it's not as bad other corners of the web. Totally understandable to get Covid and Internet fatigue, so best of luck with cabin.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I am not trying to suggest that we're out of this mess yet, but I read some encouraging news in the NYT this morning.

From the NYT:
New cases in the U.S. have fallen 35 percent over the past three weeks. Hospitalizations have dropped, as well. Deaths have not, but they have stabilized — and the death trend typically lags the cases trend by a few weeks.
The article suggests a couple potential reasons: we might be in the very early stages of herd immunity, and that folks might be doing better about mask wearing and keeping distance. My armchair analysis says there also has to be something to the fact that we're past "the holidays" that should be factored in. And I also think there's a crap-load of people who are still anti-mask and up in everyone's face... but even a slight or modest increase in wearing masks and staying the fuck away from me probably has an exponential affect. Oh, also there's been a bunch of people vaccinated, health care workers and old people and stuff. That started happening in December.

So... yay?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Just got back from the dentist (deemed an essential service I guess, despite the provincial lock-down in effect). He's Vietnamese. We were talking about when kids will go back to school in person. I was saying the numbers are coming back down to September levels (the lock down was imposed over the Christmas holidays due to a spike in levels over the holidays). He is expecting a new another wave due to the forthcoming Chinese New Year. He said remember last year when shit really hit the fan, it was related to Chinese New Year travel... I'm inclined to feel that travel restrictions and a certain level of education will make a difference... then again, you would have thought that before the Christmas wave. I guess the question is, is there really that many people out there that follow the Chinese calendar...

oh shit. :tinfoil:
i remember jugs pelosi pressing the flesh in china town last year....no fucks given....

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I’m not a scientist, but it’s already Thursday shouldn’t the WHO have started interviewing people in China a wee bit earlier than today? At least before everyone involved had an opportunity to be re-educated and/or disappeared

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I’m not a scientist, but it’s already Thursday shouldn’t the WHO have started interviewing people in China a wee bit earlier than today? At least before everyone involved had an opportunity to be re-educated and/or disappeared

because the only one blaming china for it was some orange guy with bad hair....???

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Some of my relatives have had their first jab of the Astra-Zeneca, parents are probably still a couple of weeks out on getting their first...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Glad to hear it!
If you ever feel like a break from frozen cabin fever let me know, you're welcome to borrow my place in St Jean D'aulps.
That is just fucking rad sir... Hopefully youll be able to use it again soon as well. If all goes well Ill be in that region this summer. Would be down for beers!
Cool, good to know you're still alive and kicking. Here at middle age monkey most of the negativity is about joint pain and wheel sizes, so it's not as bad other corners of the web. Totally understandable to get Covid and Internet fatigue, so best of luck with cabin.
Yes Im definitly still alive and kicking but admittedly the whole thing was doing my head in a little bit.
Wasnt in the right place with a new job either so Im going back to my old job in Scandinavia in a month or two.
Hopefully by then vaccins have made an impact on things and all will be back to normal soon...

Back to riding some actuall mountains instead of Dutch pancake trails!

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Parents just got the phone call for appointments on Thursday, first shot of Pfizer coming their way \o/

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth

I spent an October in Jokkmokk Sweden back in the day. Somewhere near the Arctic Circle the Postal Bus stopped and this old Lap grabbed his skiis and hopped off. There was nothing visible but snow in all directions. I asked the operator where he was going. He pointed off towards a peak and said that the old guy has a 3 hour ski to his village then he started the postal bus north again on the rails. That shit is remote

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I was offered the opportunity to get a vaccination, a friends wife works for a hospital and would be eligible to get vaccinated if I volunteered for a bit at the vax site. I was pretty disgusted that I could be offered the opportunity out of sequence, even in exchange for volunteering. There are plenty of people who need it before I do, and I bet a whole lot of them would be willing to volunteer for the opportunity. I turned down the offer.

New cases are dropping significantly and 35,000,000 vaccines have been administered to our most vulnerable health care executives and administrators.

Meanwhile >5,000 more dead yesterday and still averaging >3,000 per day.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Hopefully J+J have got a coupe of billion vials of their vaccine stockpiled and their emergency auth is valid and granted quickly.

Very happy my parents got their first Pfizer yesterday.