Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Has a 2nd wave started?
Most of the states seeing increases (beyond the perceived increases caused by more testing) are in their first wave.

MA numbers are plummeting and def not 2nd wave. I believe same goes for other NE states but I stopped giving a shit once the streets were awash in people with zero fucks given by health officials. The cats out of the bag now.
We are seeing flare-ups, I just looked up state info to send management feedback on my trip last week and cases are definitely on the rise. We've had outbreaks at seafood processors (they bring a bunch of people up in the summer to work in these plants) and extended care facilities (back to hospital protocol to kick people out to these once they are "stable").

Untitled.jpg

Tucson isn't looking so good for ICU.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Has a 2nd wave started?
Most of the states seeing increases (beyond the perceived increases caused by more testing) are in their first wave.

MA numbers are plummeting and def not 2nd wave. I believe same goes for other NE states but I stopped giving a shit once the streets were awash in people with zero fucks given by health officials. The cats out of the bag now.
Here in Orange County the numbers are so small for whatever reason it has never been an issue. Even with more people out, dining, shopping, whatever now, numbers are still minimal.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
We are seeing flare-ups, I just looked up state info to send management feedback on my trip last week and cases are definitely on the rise. We've had outbreaks at seafood processors (they bring a bunch of people up in the summer to work in these plants) and extended care facilities (back to hospital protocol to kick people out to these once they are "stable").

View attachment 146280
It will be interesting with the fisheries, both on the water and in the processors.
The wide geographical pull that seasonal goldrush creates has always impressed me given the brutality of conditions.
Same conundrum exists for Cape Cod and the islands which are staffed by a disproportionate number of outside labor for the tourist season.

I don't know what the solution for extended care and to a lesser extent prisons is.
The only real solution is to isolate the staff but that'll be a hard sell despite fact that all cases are imported by staff members or new entries into the populations.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Here in Orange County the numbers are so small for whatever reason it has never been an issue. Even with more people out, dining, shopping, whatever now, numbers are still minimal.
How's your buddy's photography business doing now?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Has a 2nd wave started?

Pretty sure if you remove NY from the equation daily new cases are on the rise. Most states are at a steady if not slightly increasing rate. The North East is an exception. AZ and Utah seem to be exploding with health care system nearing capacity in AZ.

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I haven't picked my nose in months at work. It's geting itchy. :twitch:

Seriously though - It's an odd scene here. The official numbers for my county are 2 active cases, 18 recovered, 1 death. Sounds like almost nothing, right? Very rural (so the low numbers would make sense), but also low access to testing.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you ramble through the numbers, however cast, the total infection rate across the globe has been relatively constant. As curves have flattened and as leaders have fumbled with approaches, the tendency seems to be to open up, with more contact which will kick the infection rate up again.
Sorry, that reply was an edit remnant.

I like to think of this more like a forest fire. Things look good then it jumps a line or finds a new bit of forest to burn through

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Remember this fact: There's not one single human being on this planet that we can even study to determine the long-term effects of covid. You see those links westy and toshi and others have been posting about endothelial cell damage? This isn't just about whether you die or not. You may get some cardiovascular, kidney or digestive tract souvenirs for the rest of your life.

What happened in Spain, Italy, NYC and what IS happening in South America is something we can either learn from or ignore. Don't forget the guy in China who first broke the silence on this. He died at 35. I think one thing that's been fairly well proven is that passing one person on a trail isn't likely to infect you. But unfortunately people interpret that as 'outside I'm safe', while all not registering that they're sitting on a beach or a trailhead 3 feet from 20 other people.
I know theres more to it than people dying, but why arent we seeing statistics on severe covid cases linked to demographic?
Were almost 6 months in and I havent seen those numbers anywhere.
Even if theres people who are not aware of their underlying conditions it would shed a ton of light on the situation and its a simple case of registration.
If it turns out its old people with severe underlying conditions I dont see why millions of people who have nothing to fear have to suffer anyways.

It may sound harsh but I 100% think we should aproach this rationally instead of emotionally.
We cant make 90% of the earths population suffer ( and litterally millions of people are suffering) because of the 10% thats vulnerable.
If we can isolate the people that are in actual danger, and I know this is a grey area, we can focus on protecting that group while not spiralling ourselves into an economic crisis that will last for who knows how long...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
How's your buddy's photography business doing now?
Still shitty. Literally no weddings yet. Plus when things start going again, he’ll have to be shooting all the weddings that he had already taken deposits on. He has been doing a few engagement shoots and other small things. It’s starting to pick up a little, but nowhere near where he was at...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know theres more to it than people dying, but why arent we seeing statistics on severe covid cases linked to demographic?
Were almost 6 months in and I havent seen those numbers anywhere.
Even if theres people who are not aware of their underlying conditions it would shed a ton of light on the situation and its a simple case of registration.
If it turns out its old people with severe underlying conditions I dont see why millions of people who have nothing to fear have to suffer anyways.

It may sound harsh but I 100% think we should aproach this rationally instead of emotionally.
We cant make 90% of the earths population suffer ( and litterally millions of people are suffering) because of the 10% thats vulnerable.
If we can isolate the people that are in actual danger, and I know this is a grey area, we can focus on protecting that group while not spiralling ourselves into an economic crisis that will last for who knows how long...
Are you looking for demographic data? It's out there. You know how the US keeps talking about african american infection rates, plus old people, plus underlying conditions.........that IS demographic data.

What you're describing is exactly what sweden (and quite frankly the economically obsessed in the US) were saying 4 months ago.

There are a few problems with this. Namely that goalposts aren't just moving, they're being redfined by the week still. What defines an 'at risk' population is still evolving. You may be harboring an 'underlying condition' and not even know it. So you go out into the world thinking you're low risk and end up needing 2 kidneys. Two months ago it was basically 'kids are essentially immune'. Now it's 'keep your kids safe from some weird kawasaki syndrome-like disease'. We don't know enough yet to make informed decisions. That's just a fact, and is mostly the reason we're kind of floundering through this. We know a lot about how to inform people of the flu. Not this. Not yet.

There are ways to do what you're describing. Not working indoors with lots of people and recirculated air is probably the single most important one. And avoiding crowds etc. The problem is, everyone has already be told this and they're too fucking stupid to let it sink in and actually do it because they can't be bothered. Everyone just focuses on "when can we do this?, when can we go here?" The answer of course being that we can do things sooner as soon as everyone starts doing minimization better. It's like trying to teach algebra to a bunch of children who just inhaled an entire candy isle.

Last edited:

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Isn't Holland some sort of massive geriatric home? I mean, you guys have a severely aged mean population, or at least that's what a couple of friends lving there told me.

As you said, most of the cases will be mild to low in severity, but those same cases become massive contagion vectors about 2-4 days after catching the disease. And as pointed out up above, we still don't know the real damage the virus does to our bodies. Now since every single young/middle aged person who catches COVID can transmit it to the segment of the population in real danger (65 and above), you need to slow/contain the spreading as much as you can.

Down here the right wing media is attacking the social distancing and shelter in place measures, stating they are destroying the economy (which in a country with a considerable slice of the money/jobs is driven into informal channels is true to some point), but the goverment put out stimulus packages to mitigate those effects. As I wrote before, they just want to incite people to defy the mandatory lockdown -which isn't total, see below- and ultimately have some massive death count to throw onto the government.

Most of the country has got into phase-5 measures -this means bars, restaurants, regular stores can be open again, with mandatory use of face masks and a minimum of 6 ft between every customer- but the big urban conglommerates are still in phase 3 (i.e. shelter in place and everythig else).

As you said, aerosols AND body contact (which in Latin America is a hard-to-break habit) are the main contagion vectors. That's why face masks worked so well here in Argentina: they act as a natural deterrent to the infamous kiss as a greeting/salute, while also visually enforcing the minimum distance rules.

If we look at the statistics aboou domestic violence, it hasn't increased above the mean from previous years. Interestingly, what has seen a dramatic jump was police brutality, just like in the US.

My point is, the virus is bad to some point, but what we do as a community/socially can make it worse or better. See Bolsonaro/Brazil, Moreno/Ecuador and Lopez Obrador/Mexico in Latin America for instance. Pretending the virus isn't as bad as they've been told and prioritizing the economy led them to pile up dead bodies like it's the Black Plague all over again. In contrast, in Argentina we've been watching what you guys in Europe have been through and tried to prepare the best we could to deal with the disease and contain possible infection focus as fast as we could.

Take a look at this for reference: https://www.americasquarterly.org/article/how-political-science-explains-countries-reactions-to-covid-19/
Not sure how we stack up against the rest of the world but were definitly up there in Europe, and we havent had any extreme situations in our ICUs.
I understand we should protect this group but it really hasnt been that bad over here and what I think we should ask ourselves is at what cost.
Right now Covid is worse than the flue, but not THAT much worse.
April saw a rise in wellfare for over 40.000 people against 6000 covid deaths (honestly believe were over our peak) and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Im glad Argentina is doing well, though I find it very surprising considering the economic situation wasnt that good to start with. Having spent a good portion of my adult life in Latin America I still have a lot of friends there so I know other countries arent doing nearly as well.

Interesting point about the facemasks btw, since Italy has the same kisses on the cheek culture and we all know what happened there...
Those might be more related than we know.

In the end its gonna be really hard to compare Europe to Latin America so what Im saying might not hold any for second or third world countries.
Which is why its even more important we get more statistics on the development on severe covid cases.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
1) cant effectively isolate any subset.

2) average number of life-years lost is ~11. Don’t confuse avg life expectancy for expected remaining years of life if one is alive at, say, age 81

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Are you looking for demographic data? It's out there. You know how the US keeps talking about african american infection rates, plus old people, plus underlying conditions.........that IS demographic data.

What you're describing is exactly what sweden (and quite frankly the economically obsessed in the US) were saying 4 months ago.

There are a few problems with this. Namely that goalposts aren't just moving, they're being redfined by the week still. What defines an 'at risk' population is still evolving. You may be harboring an 'underlying condition' and not even know it. So you go out into the world thinking you're low risk and end up needing 2 kidneys. Two months ago it was basically 'kids are essentially immune'. Now it's 'keep your kids safe from some weird kawasaki syndrome-like disease'. We don't know enough yet to make informed decisions. That's just a fact, and is mostly the reason we're kind of floundering through this. We know a lot about how to inform people of the flu. Not this. Not yet.

There are ways to do what you're describing. Not working indoors with lots of people and recirculated air is probably the single most important one. And avoiding crowds etc. The problem is, everyone has already be told this and they're too fucking stupid to let it sink in and actually do it because they can't be bothered. Everyone just focuses on "when can we do this?, when can we go here?" The answer of course being that we can do things sooner as soon as everyone starts doing minimization better. It's like trying to teach algebra to a bunch of children who just inhaled an entire candy isle.
Do you have any links for these stats? Cause I havent seen them anywhere.
And youre right about still learning as we go, but were still acting on information from feb and everybody who goes against the opinion of the allmighty WHO gets sensored.
Its really not a healthy (see what I did there:D) situation.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sorry, that reply was an edit remnant.

I like to think of this more like a forest fire. Things look good then it jumps a line or finds a new bit of forest to burn through
Actually, it's fascinating how "organic" fires can be, seeming to replicate living-being characteristics. We had a bad one that burned nearly all summer long, hiding out in bogs and places, flaring up, dying down, finding new areas, etc.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
1) cant effectively isolate any subset.
If its a relatively small portion of the population already mostly living in semi isolated conditions I really dont see why not?

Not saying we should cut them off from soceity but start with outdoors visits and ventilating the hell out of where they live in combination with masks for caregivers etc.

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Actually, it's fascinating how "organic" fires can be, seeming to replicate living-being characteristics. We had a bad one that burned nearly all summer long, hiding out in bogs and places, flaring up, dying down, finding new areas, etc.
Those peat bog fires are crazy. The gift that keeps giving.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The answer of course being that we can do things sooner as soon as everyone starts doing minimization better. It's like trying to teach algebra to a bunch of children who just inhaled an entire candy isle.
This is fucking GOLD. :rofl:

<snip>
Not saying we should cut them off from soceity but start with outdoors visits and ventilating the hell out of where they live in combination with masks for caregivers etc.
Maybe we should send them to New Zealand... @DaveW - whaddya think?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If its a relatively small portion of the population already mostly living in semi isolated conditions I really dont see why not?

Who are the caregivers? How are they paid? Do they have families and go shopping? How do they get to work at their pay grade?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

57% COVID antibody test positivity in Bergamo. This is quite close to that expected for herd immunity, and is an argument against “immunological dark matter”, IMO.

Also highlights that there’s a long way to go in terms of morbidity and mortality for most regions to reach this prevalence.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Who are the caregivers? How are they paid? Do they have families and go shopping? How do they get to work at their pay grade?
We dont need to change that much for the workers if we start ventilating the hell out of places.
And if those workers start wearing masks it might make enough of a difference to avoid more drastic measures.

One of the main suspects so far in nursing home is bad air circulation and shitty filters.
Well maintained HEPA systems could make a world of a difference.
So far weve just been locking these people up in sealed off buildings isolating them from the rest of the world. They could have just implemented outdoors (maybe under a roof of sorts) visiting hours, that would have already made a drastic difference in residents and their families quality of life.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Do you have any links for these stats?
Come on man, you're starting to sound like an american. It's literally the single topic the entire world is investigating right now.

That said, much as I was hoping months ago for an idiot disease, if we can find a way to quarantine american obese diabetics, now would be a good time I think.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Come on man, you're starting to sound like an american. It's literally the single topic the entire world is investigating right now.

That said, much as I was hoping months ago for an idiot disease, if we can find a way to quarantine american obese diabetics, now would be a good time I think.

cuomo could be in charge.....he did such a swell job of turning nursing homes into death camps it was almost like the second coming of trumpf....

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

That said, much as I was hoping months ago for an idiot disease, if we can find a way to quarantine american obese diabetics, now would be a good time I think

This is the first time I see stats as detailed as this but admittedly I havent been looking for them lately.
Peace of mind is appearently really good for the immune system, but I gotta say theyre quite reassuring even for someone like me who was diagnosed with astma and copd at a fairly young age.

The problem is that nobody is hearing those numbers and our collective goverments are still acting like looking at someone whos infected will get you killed.
All you hear in the mainstream media is “NEW CASES!” and “ X AMOUNT OF PEOPLE DEAD!”.
The media is also to blame here because theyre mostly just parroting their goverments.
The news might be different in the US but I highly doubt most people here know more about Covid than what they hear on national TV.

Criticism is not allowed, MDs on youtube are getting their videos taken down because their opinions are “controversial” if they go against WHO policies.
The same WHO organisation that is controlled by pharmaceutical companies through lobbying.

Weve seen this countless times before in politics and weapons manufacturers. Regardless of the virus, I dont see why people expect this to be any different.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Criticism is not allowed, MDs on youtube are getting their videos taken down because their opinions are “controversial”
The problem here (and I'm sure where you are) is that the people who are most publicly criticizing (like the hack videos) are fucking morons spreading bullshit that really can get someone killed. Someone like yourself from the sounds of your past history. I'm basically telling people to get the fuck away from me on a daily basis because I had pneumonia and would enjoy not having additional circulatory problems in life that may cause a stroke.

That plandemic crap? Total dangerous bullshit. Those two dipshit orderlies from the central valley in CA that got banned......total fucking morons who were immediately chastised by the hospital they work for. One of their stated credentials was "studied biochemistry". That may sound impressive to your average 16yr old bike mechanic but it's the same bachelor's degree I have, and I am categorically NOT qualified to issue formal sanctioned guidance on public health matters that need to rely on data.

People aren't realizing that they ARE seeing an adaptive approach. No one's tackling you for going outside and running/biking etc. vs. 3 months ago when everyone was screaming don't touch anything and stay inside. That's a result of better understanding real transmission vectors. Those small changes were because people are constantly having exactly the conversations you're saying are shut down. The bullshit is getting shut down, not simply because it's criticism, but because it's bullshit. The 'I'm just asking questions' gets old when they've already been answered a hundred times.

I do agree that it seems people just take what they casually hear on the tevee and in conversations and don't look any harder. That's kind of the problem.

Last edited: