Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I got my booster on a Monday too, and felt the effects well into Wedneday. FWIW:
booster: Moderna (first week of Jan)
shot 2: Pfizer (end of June)
shot 1: AZ (end of May).
My booster was Moderna as well. Previous shots were Pfizer. I think I'm clear now.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
So the government is now saying "Ok so Onicron is going to break thu the quarantine system eventually so when it does we plan to give financial assistance to any business to pay staff if they have to self isolate due to covid."

Thank fuck we don't have the RW'ers still in charge during this!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
There's a hum-dinger of a thread over on Vital about France's vaccine requirements causing problems for un -circumcised vaccinated athletes for the Lourdes WC round. Lots of experts weighing in.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
There's a hum-dinger of a thread over on Vital about France's vaccine requirements causing problems for un -circumcised vaccinated athletes for the Lourdes WC round. Lots of experts weighing in.
I couldn't stay out of it, but apparently if you give reasonable arguments pro vaccines your posts get deleted? :banghead:

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Yeah, looks like Spomer was shocked people would respond in such a non-civilized manner on the internet, and deleted a bunch of posts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, looks like Spomer was shocked people would respond in such a non-civilized manner on the internet, and deleted a bunch of posts.
I like Shawn, but he shouldn't be surprised that turned into the shit show it did (and how quickly) given the influx of PB users from last summer.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Update: apparently the dude that I quoted deleted his posts and account, so my reply got nuked. It was not Spomer, all good! :cheers:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
What a deboggle.

Also, is "Chona" flu just an idiot misspelling of China or is this another right wing inside joke that I'm not aware of?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What a deboggle.

Also, is "Chona" flu just an idiot misspelling of China or is this another right wing inside joke that I'm not aware of?
that's my assumption.

also fuck that guy citing like 2 examples of adverse events, probably the same kind of person that loves to cite percentage rates for survivability, but the AE rate wouldn't support his fAcTs

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Actual question relating to COVID vaccination.

At this point with the Omicron variant, it doesn't appear as though vaccination has any significant impact on transmissibility. With the "early" variant/variants the data suggested something like an 80-90% reduction in probability of getting the virus. I haven't been able to find any updated statistics for Omicron (in fairness I haven't looked much). With that in mind, what are the vaccination requirements, both for a country like France but also for admission into a restaurant etc, focused on? The protection against hospitalization/death is pretty good justification for getting the vaccine and I can see the push for it in that regard because people dying is generally a bad thing. But are we past the point of "get vaccinated to protect others"? Mitigation against further variants?

(To be clear, I'm vaccinated/boosted and will gladly sign up for another if/when available).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

At this point with the Omicron variant, it doesn't appear as though vaccination has any significant impact on transmissibility.
I guess it depends on your definition of "significant" - but vaccination does help even with Omicron WRT transmissibility. But I'm no expert, and will let them speak to the details... :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

At this point with the Omicron variant, it doesn't appear as though vaccination has any significant impact on transmissibility. With the "early" variant/variants the data suggested something like an 80-90% reduction in probability of getting the virus. I haven't been able to find any updated statistics for Omicron (in fairness I haven't looked much). With that in mind, what are the vaccination requirements, both for a country like France but also for admission into a restaurant etc, focused on? The protection against hospitalization/death is pretty good justification for getting the vaccine and I can see the push for it in that regard because people dying is generally a bad thing. But are we past the point of "get vaccinated to protect others"? Mitigation against further variants?

(To be clear, I'm vaccinated/boosted and will gladly sign up for another if/when available).
even if you get you're much less likely to get a severe case and/or die from it.

basically like the flu vaccine.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Presuming it still reduces the possible viral load in your system for shedding and potentially infecting others.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Here is actual data, at least for my local county. People who aren't vaccinated are 2.5 times more likely to catch the omicron variant. This is in a county with about 80% vaccination rate. The data from the redneck corner of the county with much lower vaccination rates, the unvaccinated are 14.6 times more likely to catch Covid

1642707600327.png

1642707704072.png

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I am well on track to retire by 60 but with a giant question mark about what medical costs would be prior to medicare kicking in. Actually really only need to work my real job for another few years then just need to find something for the health insurance.
Hey Westy,
I help people in my state in the same situation all the time.
What most of them do is get an ACA health plan after they stop work.
The prices for these are based on your adjusted gross income which is of course lower after you stop working.
This works best for people who have a good chunk in their bank account going in to getting the plan, then
their only income they show is what they have to pull out for retirement etc...
I have some people paying $0 for their health plan between 60 and 65 until they hit medicare.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Hey Westy,
The prices for these are based on your adjusted gross income which is of course lower after you stop working.
This works best for people who have a good chunk in their bank account going in to getting the plan, then
I have some people paying $0 for their health plan between 60 and 65 until they hit medicare.
Just out of curiosity... what's the threshold AGI-wise for a $0 plan?

Asking for... a friend. :homer:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
even if you get you're much less likely to get a severe case and/or die from it.

basically like the flu vaccine.
Absolutely. And I'm on board with it, just trying to understand whether the rationale for vaccine mandates at this point is based on earlier data where vaccines had a very large impact on transmissibility, a general push to avoid people in the hospital, or something else.

Here is actual data, at least for my local county. People who aren't vaccinated are 2.5 times more likely to catch the omicron variant. This is in a county with about 80% vaccination rate. The data from the redneck corner of the county with much lower vaccination rates, the unvaccinated are 14.6 times more likely to catch Covid
Thanks, that's the kind of data that I was looking for. Suppose it's still difficult to separate vaccine effects vs behaviors of the vaccinated and unvaccinated, but glad to know that there's at least some potential added protection against Omicron.

Presuming it still reduces the possible viral load in your system for shedding and potentially infecting others.
That's what I would also naively hope/assume.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hey Westy,

My only concern is that I have a pre-existing condition requiring expensive medication. Back in 2009 I considered starting my own business but getting my own health insurance was cost prohibitive, as in more than my actual corporate salary. Perhaps with ACA it would not be such an issue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Absolutely. And I'm on board with it, just trying to understand whether the rationale for vaccine mandates at this point is based on earlier data where vaccines had a very large impact on transmissibility, a general push to avoid people in the hospital, or something else.
second one is my guess. reduce the burden on the hospital system.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Thanks, that's the kind of data that I was looking for. Suppose it's still difficult to separate vaccine effects vs behaviors of the vaccinated and unvaccinated, but glad to know that there's at least some potential added protection against Omicron.

That's what I would also naively hope/assume.

Agreed, and there is still Delta out there so it isn't a 100% Omicron scenario. But I don't think omicron cares about behavior all that much. This is just a sample size of 1 but I am 90% sure I caught the Omicron and the only time I left the house the week prior was a doctors appointment and a trip to the grocery store. I was masked and everyone I came in contact with was masked and the only person I had a conversation with (my doctor) was doubled masked. However, I do take immunosuppresants so from what I understand my antibody reaction to vaccination is significantly reduced.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
All of these. The best way to "get back to normal" is to get everyone vaccinated. It really is that simple.