Quantcast

Cornering/Turning sequence

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
Not an answer to the turning thread, but a nice sequence of shots...

1. Enter the turn, Leaning Forward, Bike is slightly leaned, Looking out the exit of the turn (head stays level).

2. Balanced in the center of the bike, still looking out the exit of the turn, (pedals should be flat here...she is learning still) Notice the difference in turning radius of the Front/Rear Tires

3. Weight goes to the rear, crank on the pedals and straighten the bike out...

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Nice shots Pete. Look at Roena go!

btw, that sure isn't SB. Where did you take those?

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Can't you corner better on a Dorado than say a 888? Bec of the huge difference in fork height? I also heard that flats riders corner best. I heard there is also going to be a lot of rain in Big Bear.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Orven said:
Can't you corner better on a Dorado than say a 888? Bec of the huge difference in fork height? I also heard that flats riders corner best. I heard there is also going to be a lot of rain in Big Bear.

and that Orven was a nice guy. ;) :nuts:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Bacardi said:
but haven't had time to organize for big post yet.
slacker!!! Someone else needs to take the initiative and create thread like my underwear gallery... I'm sick of the same ol' pics I post there..

back to cornering...

Quantum Physics and centrifugal forces aside, anyone who can corner decently in trails like in Big Bear and Mammoth, can corner pretty much anywhere..:p

--registered online e-biker!

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
Bacardi said:
(pedals should be flat here...she is learning still)
why should the pedals be flat??? thats a pretty flat turn.. alot of riders would put the outside pedal down and shift all their weight over the tyres for a bit of railage, keep the pedals flat in banked or rough turns but for a corner like that i`d be putting the outside pedal down.. i certainly wouldnt say it was wrong to put the outside pedal down if thats what she feels comfortable with..

orven: sweet pics man!

Fury

Monkey
Oct 9, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Okay, so to those who know best, evaluate me in this pic. One thing, I had just entered the berm and I was leveling out my pedals (maybe a bit too late).

Bacardi

Monkey
Aug 16, 2002
Santa Barbara, CA
shagwell said:
why should the pedals be flat???
Mostly because you can make adjustments to your body positioning a little bit more quickly when you are centered on the bike....or pedal out of a turn. A lot of it is preference and depends on the conditions too. But being able to make adjustments at faster speeds is essential.

Read the "BIKE DYNAMICS AND HANDLING SKILLS" article from Go-ride http://go-ride.com/tips.html

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I'm with shagwell. Outside pedal down, angle the bike more than the rider to get those cornering knobs to bite(like Orven's pic).