Quantcast

Cool new rear hub design

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Watched the video, it makes sense and is pretty interesting.

But yeah, price would have to come down or maybe be licensed by another party.

It also looks like the drive ring and everything on the hub can be replaced, which is super cool. Knick a tooth on the drive ring in most hubs and it's toast.

I'd run it.. maybe they want a fatty in canaderp to test or show them off? :busted:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
This solves the problem of I9 axles breaking. Which is also solved by not buying I9 hubs.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
I also think it's a very interesting design and Peak Torque usually is a trustworthy source with sensible information. The rotor interface thing is a bit strange. I'll check their website if there are any service procedure hints.
Also, straight pull is an issue that's non existent at least to me. Like englertracing mentioned, bladed spokes and no worries...

Also, what Peak Torque didn't mention, is the usage of one fixed and one free float bearing in the two bearing pairs. This should provide even longer bearing life than from the wider stance and stiffer axle alone.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I look forward to the "How do I remove Ultra Black Sealant?"
Then the "I used a whole tube of sealant on my hub and now it won't engage, that's warranty yeah?" Threads, hahaha!
It's the Gorilla Tape of sealants.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Interestingly. Yes I have worked on many motorcycle wheels. WTF relevance has a massively heavier massively more powerful two wheed vehicle got to why 2mm straight pull bicycle spokes are nothing but a pain in the arse to build and true in comparison to J bend. Oh and add stupid alloy nipples to the long list of PITA wank ideas for bicycles.

I have a selection of bladed spoke holders and spoke pliers and have to use them far too often. TBF using them at all is far too often making working on unloved wheels even MOAR of a hassle.

Cunts who splaff on about straight pull being superior = kill. List
Cunts who bring motorcycles into their pushbike bullshit = kill. List & piss on the corpse

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Funny how people can have such different preferences. All of the MTBs in our fleet have bladed spokes & alloy nipples. All the 28 spoke bikes have straight pull hubs. I haven't seen a 32h straight pull hub.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Funny how people can have such different preferences. All of the MTBs in our fleet have bladed spokes & alloy nipples. All the 28 spoke bikes have straight pull hubs. I haven't seen a 32h straight pull hub.
Definitely buy those bladed spokes. They are more expensive.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I'm with you. Straight pull bladed spokes are the easiest to build with You literally cant lace the wheel wrong no matter how drunk or distracted you are.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Interestingly. Yes I have worked on many motorcycle wheels. WTF relevance has a massively heavier massively more powerful two wheed vehicle got to why 2mm straight pull bicycle spokes are nothing but a pain in the arse to build and true in comparison to J bend. Oh and add stupid alloy nipples to the long list of PITA wank ideas for bicycles.

I have a selection of bladed spoke holders and spoke pliers and have to use them far too often. TBF using them at all is far too often making working on unloved wheels even MOAR of a hassle.

Cunts who bring motorcycles into their pushbike bullshit = kill. List & piss on the corpse

Well i find bladed straight pulls attractive
I just default to spoke holders....
And bringing mtb stuff into moto
I always have double butted spokes made for my motorcycles and use dubya spline drive nipples.

Also wheel fanatyk makes some pretty nice aluminum spline nipple.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
They exist. Hope and dt have some 32h sp hubs
I9

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Since this thread has already gone sideways, does anybody know if the tooling from Pillar got sold off?
I wonder if Sun Ringle will move(have moved?) spoke production to China like their rims?
Edit- Wheelsmith not Pillar.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Wait what happened to pillar? I buy mine on aliexpress and normally they come with free nipples.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
So, back to this hub design. I like where their head is at. But there’s an even better way to do this same thing imo. If you make the hub shell itself 2 pieces you can put the ratchet or sprage clutch system in between the spoke flanges you can fit an even larger and stronger ratchet system, space your shell to hub carrier bearings evenly, and use a standard disk. Now that I’ve posted this I have a year to patent it any any company who does stole my IP.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Wouldn't that still allow the free hub and the drive ring to flex and cause problems?

We need an exploded diagram, stat!

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
SOMETHING like this. The middle big bearing is some random 1 way bearing I picked on mcmaster thats rated for enough torque.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 132325.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Straight pull bladed spokes are the easiest to build with You literally cant lace the wheel wrong no matter how drunk or distracted you are.
Lower wheelset assembly costs. Higher cost to customer.
Win Win 8-)

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
What size bearing? Let's see a weight calculation on that..
Nah it’ll be mad heavy with that off the shelf stuff. Idk how onyx makes their sprag clutch hubs so small and not break, I’ve never seen a single one that same that could take reasonable torque.