Quantcast

Contemplating endro frame choice for new build

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
ah. right. Sorry. I thought the 3d printed ti lugs were all about allowing them to do full custom geo options. nevermind then

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Right now the tyee is looking best
Would go for it if I could convince them to sell me an alloy front with a carbon rear :nope:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Thoughts...im also looking at ones listed here.
So looking at megatower, nomad or a Bronson
Any thoughts 2017+.
Need something above evil following and below session...150-170 rear 170 front I'll mullet it even if it wasn't set up for it
Banshee Titan

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thoughts...im also looking at ones listed here.
So looking at megatower, nomad or a Bronson
Any thoughts 2017+.
Need something above evil following and below session...150-170 rear 170 front I'll mullet it even if it wasn't set up for it
Salsa Cassidy? They are on sale for 2k, has a flip chip and you can buy a different link to make it a shorter travel bike......I think that's what they were saying-

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Pick a reach, be a dick about it.
People can like any reach and chainstay they want, so long as they can still manual or whip around a tight turn. Otherwise they just bought themselves a Cadillac that has the stability to keep their dad bod safe but lacks any playfullness. I was worried the industry was going down the wrong path on this one but recently it seems everyone's coming to their senses.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
longer chainstays (and bigger wheels) actually make mannys less twitchy and give the balance point a larger window for error.
Longer reach AND longer chainstays just make raising the front wheel more effort which affects bunnyhoppability as well.

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Salsa Cassidy? They are on sale for 2k, has a flip chip and you can buy a different link to make it a shorter travel bike......I think that's what they were saying-
Mega short chainstays

If I'm ok with my pivots proportions....
430 stays 770 front center
That's 1.79 from center to rear center ratio.
longer chainstays (and bigger wheels) actually make mannys less twitchy and give the balance point a larger window for error.
Longer reach AND longer chainstays just make raising the front wheel more effort which affects bunnyhoppability as well.
So your saying that big 29 are detrimental to riders that can really manual or bunnyhop?
Yeah I see it all the time, passive squids.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Nah. Was simply pointing out a few of the differences.
If you posess the skill to manual, you can manual on anything* really.

*obviously it's going to be way MOAR of a chore on something so ridiculously long you struggle to move your mass behind the rear axle on.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
People can like any reach and chainstay they want, so long as they can still manual or whip around a tight turn. Otherwise they just bought themselves a Cadillac that has the stability to keep their dad bod safe but lacks any playfullness. I was worried the industry was going down the wrong path on this one but recently it seems everyone's coming to their senses.
This but also it depends on what your local trails are like.

Is 90% of your riding in bike parks, where sharp turns dont really exist, run a big long bike.

If you ride tight, trials type stuff, get a short light nimble bike.

If you ride where there are super tight trees, maybe run narrow bars. Out in the desert, do whatever.

Basically, blanket statements and bike types don't really apply. There's so much variety of trail out there.

But yeah, some people get caught up in trends and think they need A, when B is actually better for 90% of what they ride.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I happened to ride the lift with Asa yesterday and he has a Frameworks enduro bike showing up any day. Had some pics on his phone, looks like a downsized version of the DH frame, but no idea of the geo. I think he's racing it at the Purgatory BME this weekend.

Wonder when Neko will start selling frames? They look good, and now with an enduro option as well.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I happened to ride the lift with Asa yesterday and he has a Frameworks enduro bike showing up any day. Had some pics on his phone, looks like a downsized version of the DH frame, but no idea of the geo. I think he's racing it at the Purgatory BME this weekend.

Wonder when Neko will start selling frames? They look good, and now with an enduro option as well.
from what i can tell he's been farming them out to local groms for testing and feedback. that vermette kid (while not local to nc) is fast as hell. would love to see him make the jump next year. i assume he'll be back out at rock creek for nationals?

back on topic i talked to a guy on a raaw at rock creek a while back and he was pleased with it, at least for east coast bike park conditions.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
Neko showed a picture of the enduro steed on his IG a few days ago. Looks like a smaller travel version of the DH bike, I wouldn't mind one!

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
[options.="Kanye West, post: 4722494, member: 17043"]
Yup. And if you wanted to bastardize it further, you could put the longer CS from an XL/XXL frame onto a M or L frame.
[/QUOTE]

Mmhmmm bastardization
446 is pretty good already, but nice to have moar optionz.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
musings on reach: https://nsmb.com/articles/a-bit-of-a-reach/

could it be that "ideal" reach is based on use-case and terrain (climbing vs. descending; smooth vs. tech)?
If you haven't then you have not been riding foot cycles long OR you are a fucking moron.

<edit> That should have been an or, not an and.

But seriously. If you think the same reach geo works equally well in both the fast, steep and nasty as it does in the slow and tight, or rolling terrain vs steep grinding climbs and plummet descents, then I got nothing. I thought it was blindingly obvious.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I'd assumed Sly was being sarcastic.

He's never seemed like a moron. OR newb :dirol:

disclaimer: Can't be fucked reading NSB link

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'd assumed Sly was being sarcastic.

He's never seemed like a moron. OR newb :dirol:

disclaimer: Can't be fucked reading NSB link
That was not targeted at @slyfink or anybody specific... Just the idea that reach or any other geometric metric is always the same for all types of riding is silly. Have you ever ridden a bike on more than one type of terrain? Here we all know this, and it has been discussed ad infinitum. Just frustrating when you see the thought bubbles appear and think oh god here we go again. It is nice to see some talk about maybe we went a little too far with the reach experiment more thought about front / rear center.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I know.
just testing your sense of humour.
you seemed a bit serious

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
mtb is rammed full of noobs nowadays. of course you're going to see moar and moar vacuous mtb media articles and videos.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I saw it and assumed it was just his DH bike with a short shock and 38 treatment. Looked burly

edit: switched over Instagram and the first thing I see is Neko riding again, on the very bike mentioned above https://www.instagram.com/p/CuQD5fXxWjU/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
Asa won the pro class of the Purgatory BME on the new Frameworks endurbro steed today. Beat some fast dudes including Ropelato.

He put the bike together on Thursday, had 2 days of practice, and took the win.

frameworks.jpg