Quantcast

computer, gps, what?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Is there any reason to spend more than $40?

I've been using the Cateye Astrale -- basic cyclometer with cadence -- and that's been enough. And a cheap HR monitor watch that I sometimes use.

Should I get something more sophisticated? If so, what and why?

A computer altimeter would be fun, but I get the feeling that I'd stop caring after a while.

I need another computer for my new bike, so before I buy, your opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I dig my altimeter, but it's really just a nerdy gizmo - it really has no bearing/influence on my rides. I personally don't need cadence or hr or anything else. I want to know time, distance, and average speed. Max speed is fun, but really only useful when bragging.

So no, I don't think there is a reason to to spend big dollars on a computer.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I think you need a powertap :) j/k The Garmin GPS units are kinda cool, I have several teammates with them. They can track your course and I think you can download it to your computer. Plus they do heart rate and all of the other functions and they are easy to transfer from bike to bike. On the downside, they are expensive

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Computers are one of those things I actualy like to have on the bike, the more information the better. It keeps me entertained on the long rides. I have seperate bike computer, HR monitor/watch and a watch with an altimeter. If I had to do it over again I would have just gotten one unit that did it all. Would have saved quite a bit of $$.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I hadn't ridden with a computer on my bike in over ten years. I found it took a lot of the enjoyment away from the ride. Taking it off was one of the best things I've done for my riding.

This summer, I put one back on. I needed something with a countdown timer that would sound an alarm and repeat. Basically, I wanted something to beep every 15 minutes reminding me to drink during a 100 mile mtb race. An old watch I used to have would have done it, but I couldn't find it and don't wear a watch anymore, so buying one was a moot point.

It was nice during the race having the little reminder. I stayed hydrated and fueled and it didn't hurt knowing how many miles I had left on the back end.

Only other feature I liked was wireless.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I appreciate all the feedback. So far, I'm still leaning to spending as little as possible :)

Maybe one day I'll splurge on the $300+ GPS, but I think I'd be better off just carrying a compass in my bag for those rare occassions I get super dumb :)

Wireless does sound like something I might like.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Maybe one day I'll splurge on the $300+ GPS, but I think I'd be better off just carrying a compass in my bag for those rare occassions I get super dumb :)
:rofl:

Wireless does sound like something I might like.
One thing to remember is that most wireless comps need the sensor to be placed fairly high up on the fork (can cause a problem sometimes)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
One thing to remember is that most wireless comps need the sensor to be placed fairly high up on the fork (can cause a problem sometimes)
why and how so?

What about wireless cadence? The transmitter is way down on the chain stay.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
I am thinking of getting one of those GPS ones now. I like the idea of no sensor on the bike. Just let the GPS do the thinking. I was looking at the Garmin 205, it looks pretty sweet, lots of cool features. Does anyone know if it has average speed?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I am thinking of getting one of those GPS ones now. I like the idea of no sensor on the bike. Just let the GPS do the thinking. I was looking at the Garmin 205, it looks pretty sweet, lots of cool features. Does anyone know if it has average speed?
I dunno about avg speed, I know one of them will save your route and then do a "ghost" for you to chase on the screen (based on your last ride on that route). My friend likes to use it on climbs for training.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA

It does have average speed. Personally i think the 305 is worth the extra money over the 205, so i bought a 305. The altitude data is better since it's not GPS based, you can get HR and Cad data with it, it's also has a secondary speed sensor so you can still get and accurate speed if you're in a poor GPS area.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
It does have average speed. Personally i think the 305 is worth the extra money over the 205, so i bought a 305. The altitude data is better since it's not GPS based, you can get HR and Cad data with it, it's also has a secondary speed sensor so you can still get and accurate speed if you're in a poor GPS area.
Yeah those are all good features, but I don't need a heart rate meter. I don't need cadence, and I don't want any sensors on my frame. Also I picked one up on ebay for 100 shipped. Is the display backlit, by chance?

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Yeah those are all good features, but I don't need a heart rate meter. I don't need cadence, and I don't want any sensors on my frame. Also I picked one up on ebay for 100 shipped. Is the display backlit, by chance?
Yeah, you click the power button real quick and that'll turn on the back light. Not sure what that will do to battery life.

Mr. Hankey

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Ohio
Yeah, you click the power button real quick and that'll turn on the back light. Not sure what that will do to battery life.
Cool it has everything I need then. I like being able to switch from 27" to 700c, to 26" without setting anything up, and no sensors. All the mapping stuff looks cool too. I can't wait to try it out on my little "race course" I train on. I just wish it wasn't so heavy. Oh well though. Can't win 'em all.