Quantcast

comfortable back protection?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
With the end of winter in sight, thoughts of riding on dirt are creeping back into my mind... but my back is still quite tender (it hasn't quite been 6 months since breaking it and getting my hardware installed). Lying down on the ground on my back is still enough to make me wince in pain.

So I've been thinking of back protection. At first I figured I'd ride with my back pack again (an Osprey 6l something or other). It will probably be fine for my first few outings, as I take things easy on mellow trails. But as I return to "normal" riding, I'm thinking I'll probably want something with proper spine protection. I was thinking of something like the RaceFace flank shirt, but without the chest and shoulder protection. There's also the ski protection, which is essentially a back plate with a belt and two shoulder straps - can't get much more ventilated than that. But in looking at those, they seem to be very large. At least from what I can see on-line.

It'll be for "normal" trail riding, nothing super crazy, but some of our trails here can get rowdy (if you know where to look). I tend to like gnarly trails more than flow trails and I probably won't be doing any jumping this year. In the end, I'm looking for something that will cover my spine and protect it in case I go OTB, or hit a tree sideways... Something light and as airy as possible that I can wear for 2-3 hour trail rides would be preferred. even when it's gross and sticky out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I still wear a full upper torso jacket when on the DH bike. But they've got plenty of lighter weight options you could use for trail riding.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

I still wear a full upper torso jacket when on the DH bike. But they've got plenty of lighter weight options you could use for trail riding.
Second POC. Been using their stuff for dh since it launched. Although there are more options out there now for comparable protection.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I was thinking of something like the RaceFace flank shirt, but without the chest and shoulder protection.
That's what I wear. It's a sleeveless version with just the d30 back pad. It definitely helped in many crashes, but it's not super comfortable. Also, consider sizing up if you're going to wear it pedaling for hours, mine is pretty snug fitting.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
thanks for the suggestions. the more I think about it, the more a pack with an integrated back protector seems to make sense. something like this
1645720907876.png

that nice wide hipbelt seems like it would keep things stable in case of a crash... and can be loosened on the climbs etc...

I tried so hard over the past three years to move away from wearing a pack, but here I am again. It just seems that riding with a back protector undershirt would be just as shitty, maybe even more so, than wearing a pack since if covers more of my body and can't be adjusted... (and wearing one on its own, without an overshirt would be an insult to other users eyes... I still want to be able to ride with my friends!)

anyone have experience with protective backpacks?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yes^^^

I like my Leatt. I used to carry a big pack with all the things--decided to slim down some. Looks like my model isn't sold anymore, though, just a slightly larger one. (Which honestly I'd prefer to have...hell, if you want a super-minimal one maybe I'll buy the newer model and sell you mine!)

The thing I wanted in a new riding pack was no hip belt. I looked at Leatt and Uswe options. Got a pro deal on Leatt stuff so I went with that. MUCH prefer these designs for riding. Hip belts are good for walking, but that's it. These do a good job of not-bouncing and supporting the weight well, IMHO.

Armor-wise, it's just like riding with any hydro pack; haven't found a particular difference other than maybe the lesser volume for the slight bulk of the armor layer.

My model:

1645723104398.png

The newer lines seem to have removeable armor insert sold aside from each pack; mine is integrated.

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
thanks for the suggestions. the more I think about it, the more a pack with an integrated back protector seems to make sense. something like this
View attachment 172426

that nice wide hipbelt seems like it would keep things stable in case of a crash... and can be loosened on the climbs etc...

I tried so hard over the past three years to move away from wearing a pack, but here I am again. It just seems that riding with a back protector undershirt would be just as shitty, maybe even more so, than wearing a pack since if covers more of my body and can't be adjusted... (and wearing one on its own, without an overshirt would be an insult to other users eyes... I still want to be able to ride with my friends!)

A pack isn't so bad. At least now you'll have room for a beer and sandwich. :D

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
View attachment 172426

I have one of the FR models, don't recall which one it is. Enduro maybe? It's a comfortable pack, and the first one I've ever owned that actually fits me. They make a wookiee size, so the waist belt is actually at my waist, rather than half way up to my manboobs.

It is a warm pack if that is a concern for you. The version I have has an inner waist strap that is neoprene and velcro, then the standard clip strap closes over the top of that. When it's hot I just leave the neoprene unstrapped and hanging below the pack. Kind of annoying, but not a big deal.

I haven't tested the back protection yet, but it's only a matter of time. I'm planning to be in Sedona in early April, so I fully expect some real world testing.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
View attachment 172426

Never had an armored pack but I have had a few crashes were the nearly full bladder in my camelback definitely prevented some level of injury, seems like a good idea to me.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The Leatt straps are a little more conventional than the Uswe, but with dual sternum buckles.