Quantcast

Colorado Repub: "we need more federal involvment"

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Republican gubernatorial candidate Scott McInnis, if elected, would ask President Barack Obama to re-examine lenient federal policies on Colorado’s burgeoning medical marijuana industry.

The Obama administration in 2009 ordered federal officials to respect state marijuana statutes when they conflict with federal laws outlawing the drug. The change led to explosive growth in Colorado marijuana businesses, which McInnis said Thursday is cause for concern.

“If I was governor I would call the president and say, ‘What are you doing?’” McInnis said after a Colorado Springs event Thursday.

McInnis was in town to pick up endorsements from the Colorado Springs Police Protective Association, District Attorney Dan May and El Paso County Sheriff Terry Maketa.

McInnis, a former police officer, has burnished his crime fighting image in recent weeks as he battles through a GOP primary with Denver businessman Dan Maes.

McInnis has proposed immigration policies for Colorado similar to those enacted this year in Arizona, where police are now authorized by state law to check the immigration status of suspected undocumented immigrants. Now McInnis is wading into some of the state’s most contentious waters — medical marijuana.

Colorado voters approved marijuana as medical treatment a decade ago by passing Amendment 20. The state General Assembly moved this year to regulate the widespread distribution of the drug with rules modeled on those imposed for liquor stores.

That has troubled many Republicans, including local state lawmakers, who contend that the amendment doesn’t provide for legal marijuana stores.

McInnis said he supports a piece of the new legislation that allows cities and counties to ban marijuana businesses.

In Colorado Springs, where the number of marijuana businesses went from a handful in early 2009 to more than 100 now, a group is pushing a petition drive to get a ban on the ballot.

“The reason it all started is because of Obama,” McInnis said of the rising number of marijuana businesses.

Denver mayor John Hickenlooper, the sole Democrat in the governor’s race, said the new state regulations could alleviate concerns over marijuana businesses.

“John supports the will of Colorado voters to give medicine to sick people and he’s hopeful that recent legislation will empower communities to address the common concerns around dispensaries,” said Hickenlooper spokesman George Merritt.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/mcinnis-100432-obama-hopeful.html
So, let me get this straight, not enough federal involvement in states rights, over a 10 year old, voter approved amendment, thats clearly Obama's fault?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is med maj taxed in CO? if it is, i can just see him being the first to complain about "drying up tax revenue" if the ban goes into effect

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
only sporadically tracking this topic locally, i'm troubled the moratorium &/or $5K licensing fee in an attempt to quell the uptick in apps, which are not getting proper review. the push should be on the approving authority, not applicants

but the fact that people can run a dispensary out of their home is the major issue w/ me, esp given the recent rash of home invasions locally. i can see being licensed to deliver, but distribute from your home as legal seems dodgy to me.

going back to the complaint of a repub claiming this explosive industry being obama's fault: it's not totally unfounded. if you think it is, can you explain the surge as anything but causality?

this is interesting to compare/contrast to AZ immigration law, i'd like to note. this administration doesn't seem terribly to mind behavior that is at odds w/ fed'l law, but does seem to be choosy when it comes to federalism.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ah yes, the party of small government-unless you like to smoke pot, have a uterus, have sex, are gay, are a defence contractor looking for money, etc...

Now, to preemptively respond to Stinkle's compliant about how the Democrats love big government as well, I have to point out that SMALL GOVERNMENT ISN'T A MAJOR PLANK OF THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY'S PLATFORM, YOU ****ING MORON.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
but the fact that people can run a dispensary out of their home is the major issue w/ me, esp given the recent rash of home invasions locally. i can see being licensed to deliver, but distribute from your home as legal seems dodgy to me.
You want government stepping in and telling small business how to do their jobs? And doesn't the 2nd ammendment protect these people from home invasions?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
You want government stepping in and telling small business how to do their jobs? And doesn't the 2nd ammendment protect these people from home invasions?
more of a zoning issue to keep suburban neighborhoods feel like suburban neighborhoods. but we have f'ed up zoning here, with gerrymandered annexation that allows a strip club to be caddywompus to a school

plus, i'm not sure how 2nd amendment would protect a private citizen in their place of business from home invasion, as those boundaries get a little incestuous. unless required to perform duties, guns in the workplace are normally frowned upon

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
more of a zoning issue to keep suburban neighborhoods feel like suburban neighborhoods. but we have f'ed up zoning here, with gerrymandered annexation that allows a strip club to be caddywompus to a school

plus, i'm not sure how 2nd amendment would protect a private citizen in their place of business from home invasion, as those boundaries get a little incestuous. unless required to perform duties, guns in the workplace are normally frowned upon

Sorry, I thought we had the republican utopia at hand here. Small businesses paying nothing in taxes while also armed to the teeth.... oh wait that sounds alot like gang warfare.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
just gives them the right to bear arms, doesn't say where. But you knew that.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
but we have f'ed up zoning here, with gerrymandered annexation that allows a strip club to be caddywompus to a school
Where? :brows:
Plus, in this town things like "zoning" and "urban planning" are frowned upon as communist plots or government takeover, and you know it. God Forbid someone from "government" should exercise a little control over the way this town is laid out and planned. :rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
not sure as to the tax angle on this; haven't taken the time to find out if gov't collects on more than just licensing fees & renewals from growers/distributors. regulate & tax, i say.

in the news last night dude fought off a few invaders who sought to rob him of cash & product. he managed to take one of their own weapons & chased them into the street, emptying the gun. they say he will not be charged. how awesome is that?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
fabulous tnt's is 200 yds from doherty h.s.
if they drop out, their commute's roughly the same, + more teen-friendly hours
Plus, in this town things like "zoning" and "urban planning" are frowned upon as communist plots or government takeover, and you know it. God Forbid someone from "government" should exercise a little control over the way this town is laid out and planned. :rolleyes:
no, it's more like all zoning & planning is done in a vacuum. perhaps this is what you're getting at, and it's no wonder we have such a disconnected bike path system. i don't think there's 10 continuous blocks of bike lane in this town, but the same road may have 15 segments of 3 blocks ea.

yeah, more portland, less c.s.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
COLORADO SPRINGS — This tax-averse city is about to learn what it looks and feels like when budget cuts slash services most Americans consider part of the urban fabric.

More than a third of the streetlights in Colorado Springs will go dark Monday. The police helicopters are for sale on the Internet. The city is dumping firefighting jobs, a vice team, burglary investigators, beat cops — dozens of police and fire positions will go unfilled.

The parks department removed trash cans last week, replacing them with signs urging users to pack out their own litter.

Neighbors are encouraged to bring their own lawn mowers to local green spaces, because parks workers will mow them only once every two weeks. If that.

Water cutbacks mean most parks will be dead, brown turf by July; the flower and fertilizer budget is zero.

City recreation centers, indoor and outdoor pools, and a handful of museums will close for good March 31 unless they find private funding to stay open. Buses no longer run on evenings and weekends. The city won't pay for any street paving, relying instead on a regional authority that can meet only about 10 percent of the need.
http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14303473

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think i'll move back and start selling love boat.

getting high should be a adventure.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
that's from FEbruary... got anything newer?
Want your city parks to be green? Pray for rain.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/city-100265-parks-story.html

*edit
Oh yea, not to mention the fact that the local Utilities provider is spending an additional 740,000 dollars on top of a 6.4 million dollar public affairs office for P.R., but we cant afford to water and/or mow the parks or run the Uncle Wilbur or Julie Penrose fountains downtown.
http://www.gazette.com/articles/utilities-100047-firm-springs.html

Last edited:

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
fabulous tnt's is 200 yds from doherty h.s.
if they drop out, their commute's roughly the same, + more teen-friendly hours
Huh, your right about that, I guess I think of it as further away because of that effed up intersection on austin bluffs and barnes.
no, it's more like all zoning & planning is done in a vacuum. perhaps this is what you're getting at, and it's no wonder we have such a disconnected bike path system. i don't think there's 10 continuous blocks of bike lane in this town, but the same road may have 15 segments of 3 blocks ea.
Tempelton Gap FTW!