Quantcast

Colonade redemption

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I'll admit, I've been a closet Colonade hater since the beginning.
Last night, I ran into a kid at the pump track. City kid, w/o any cycling influences. Maybe 8yo, on a brakeless, POS, rattlecanned BMX. He was killing it. He saw me manual the last set and asked me how (didn't even know the term "manual). I gave him 1 pointer and he got it right away. Total natual.
We need more pump tracks in city parks.
Thanks guys.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I'll admit, I've been a closet Colonade hater since the beginning.
Last night, I ran into a kid at the pump track. City kid, w/o any cycling influences. Maybe 8yo, on a brakeless, POS, rattlecanned BMX. He was killing it. He saw me manual the last set and asked me how (didn't even know the term "manual). I gave him 1 pointer and he got it right away. Total natual.
We need more pump tracks in city parks.
Thanks guys.
That is awesome! I still can't do that :( wanna show me LOL

I am of the thought that the pump track is a PERFECT thing that needs to be in more parks. It is easy to build (few days with the right crew and dirt) easy to maintain, and built so the liability poses no more then a staircase. I think a few of us have seen some extreme pump tracks of the private kind :D but really something like the nade could go into lots of places. There is a few parks in the neighborhood that I will be trying to push towards the install of one. Here in Georgetown we have lots of bike riders and kids that could benefit from one including this kid haha.

Also King County is about to GIVE away some of its park land to any interested party that can maintain it because of budget shortfalls.
:thumb: to the 'Nade and :thumb: to pump tracks.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
That is awesome! I still can't do that :( wanna show me LOL

I am of the thought that the pump track is a PERFECT thing that needs to be in more parks. It is easy to build (few days with the right crew and dirt) easy to maintain, and built so the liability poses no more then a staircase. I think a few of us have seen some extreme pump tracks of the private kind :D but really something like the nade could go into lots of places. There is a few parks in the neighborhood that I will be trying to push towards the install of one. Here in Georgetown we have lots of bike riders and kids that could benefit from one including this kid haha.

Also King County is about to GIVE away some of its park land to any interested party that can maintain it because of budget shortfalls.
:thumb: to the 'Nade and :thumb: to pump tracks.
Go see what Dirt Corp built; they put a sweet pump track and skills park together; it's a fun place to ride. it's off Exit 25.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Ya were is that Park that DC build, I want to check it out.

Duthie Hill will definatly have a pump track or three, just need to build them......

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
No PMs necessary. It's right on the main road through the ridge on the upper (west) end of Fisher Creek Park. Just park at the tennis courts on the east side of the road and ride up. Pretty tame by "core" standards but the kids seem to like it well enough.

More info at: www.dirtcorps.com

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Longterm investments, solid payoffs. It's the intangibles that make it totally worth it. When i work there, i see people who are using it. Families, freinds, kids, adults, the next generation.

That being said if they said we were going to build another Nade a few miles down the road, i probably wouldn't have anything to do with it, haha.