Quantcast

Collegiate Nationals- Angelfire

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Anyone heading out there for Collegiate Nationals? It's going to be my first trip to Angelfire so I am stoked. Any word on what the course will be like? Looking at the map on the USAC site it doesn't appear that they are going to run their "WC" Dh track, but they did change the course map from last week.

Also, the forecast right now looks to be snow from Wednesday through Friday according to weather.com. Does the dirt there get better with some moisture like Northstar or should I buy some mud spikes? Right now I'm planning on running a Minion front/High Roller 2 rear.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Prepare for arm pump and bring warm gloves. You'll thank me later.

The courses are long and flat enough that spikes won't be the best idea, and the dirt doesn't get that slippery. Your current tire combo will be fine.

Oh, and don't forget your costume for the banquet. Yay college.

bobsten

Monkey
Oct 23, 2008
rain rain go away
Drink a lot. It really helped my performances in the past.
quoted for the truth. in 2009 all of thursday practice was spent riding the chairlift, throwing up, and waiting a lap, riding the chairlift, throwing up, and waiting a lap, riding the chairlift, throwing up, and waiting a lap.

That was a recipe for success in my book.

Also, don't party with the CU kids-granola, birkenstocks, and weak beer isn't that much fun.

Last edited:

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
Last I heard, you will be running Chillin' to WC, just like the Final Descent. The track started out as single track through snow, and degenerated into 12 foot wide sheet of mud and rock. Once you get off of chillin' (top third), the rest of the course is dry and fast. Here is a thread of pictures and videos (scroll down for videos)

If you can race in the morning, it will be cooler, but the course will still be frozen and faster.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Last I heard, you will be running Chillin' to WC, just like the Final Descent. The track started out as single track through snow, and degenerated into 12 foot wide sheet of mud and rock. Once you get off of chillin' (top third), the rest of the course is dry and fast. Here is a thread of pictures and videos (scroll down for videos)

If you can race in the morning, it will be cooler, but the course will still be frozen and faster.
Wow that looks like a fun and long course! Should be a really good time. Thanks for the info guys.

NAYR

Monkey
Jul 13, 2009
Truckee
Track pics. Going to be a snowy race. The bottom half is already starting to melt but the I'd say there's no hope for the top. Deep snow in spots.
296926_2365492491611_1079360896_32671279_501090730_n.jpeg308817_2365496571713_1079360896_32671282_2033328868_n.jpeg

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
I hope there's some video.

Not even sure what that track is gonna look like after it gets ridden with that much snow. I wish I was there.