Quantcast

Code brakes - any changes?

slowmtb

Monkey
Aug 17, 2008
ChurChur, NZ
Hi Monkeys,

I have Code 5's already and they rock :D

I have an opportunity to buy some Codes ( not 5's ) '07's that are brand new. I want to fit them to my other bike. Have there been any changes to them over the years? Worth getting or run a mile ?

Cheers :)

landcruiser

Monkey
May 9, 2002
San Jose, CA
If they're the original dark grey codes, then they're a little bit heavier. They lost a decent amount of weight going to the silver and/or white models. Other than that, the performance is just the same.

Several of my riding buddies and I still run the old gray ones and love 'em.

AzN_devil

Monkey
Jun 18, 2009
Hong Kong
actually the older heavier codes dont break as easy as the newer ones..
the black ones are the best..they can actually last ~ 2 years before starting to leak on my friends bike
the grey one are not as good but still better than the white ones

i had the white ones =(

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
stick with the 5's the master cylinder is prone to leakage on 7's. especially the magnesium ones, the master cyl bore can get scored easier and will leak.

I can't even count how many of those master cyls I've had to rebuild. I have never once had to rebuild a juicy master cyl (code 5)

Last edited:

YoPawn

Chimp
Aug 13, 2009
Why are people having issues with the codes? Every person I know with them has been flawless.

I have a white set that is going on to 2 years old and only bled once. Still work great.

What exactly are the symptoms of a bad one? Does it not work? or just work but not perfectly?

Viv92

Monkey
Jan 31, 2009
Australia
Why are people having issues with the codes? Every person I know with them has been flawless.

I have a white set that is going on to 2 years old and only bled once. Still work great.

What exactly are the symptoms of a bad one? Does it not work? or just work but not perfectly?
Those mag codes were hands down the ****test brakes I have ever owned. I had to bleed mine EVERY ride. Even then the lever throw would just randomly change halfway through a run.