Quantcast

clip pedals

BrokenSpoke

Chimp
Feb 14, 2004
home land of poutine :D
hey i was just wondering if i should eventually get clip pedals, i will probably do this when i change the bike in a few seasons, but i just wanted you guys opinion on clip pedals for dh, i now run flat and i dont race, so would it be worth it?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Well since I don't race DH I can't say anything but I know there was a really good thread about this a couple weeks/days back. Search.

P.S. It might have been on another forum so don't search TOO hard :)

R

Rabie

You should PM Orven. He races AND freerides, and is very knowledgeable on the subject of clips vs. flats for different applications.

preppie

Monkey
Aug 30, 2002
Europe
BrokenSpoke said:
hey i was just wondering if i should eventually get clip pedals, i will probably do this when i change the bike in a few seasons, but i just wanted you guys opinion on clip pedals for dh, i now run flat and i dont race, so would it be worth it?
I don't race either, but I bought the Crank Brother Mallet C's a few weeks ago. I have always ridden with flats,
but I can tell you that since I have my Mallets on my Freeride-DH bike, I'm getting better and faster, because I have more control,
I can pedal through the rough stuff and my foot is always in the 'perfect' spot + I climb more than twice as much as I did with my flats.
I was always afraid that I couldn't get un-clipped fast enough, but this was way easier than I expected.
(same for clipping in). The platform is big enough to pedal without being clipped in.

So it is an improvement for my FR-DH bike, if you can afford to buy new pedals and SPD shoes go for it
(But I still prefer flats for DJ, stunts/ladders and street.)