Quantcast

Classic bike? Montagna and the "cuda fin"???

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Hey,
I picked up a bike a few years ago at a garage sale. Fixed it up pretty slick and am now trying to sell it to move (read: this is NOT spam). I'm trying to learn more about the bike, as collectors keep asking me for details and I really don't have any. So...

Does anyone remember a brand called Montagna? If so, can you tell me any more about the bike pictured below? It has a little "fin" on the drive side chainstay called the "Cuda Fin" that was supposed to eliminate chain suck. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Shimano made a chain stay guard with the sort of fin you're talking about, so unless its an integral part of the frame, that dosn't help much.

Cool looking bike.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
What are you asking for???
Any information about the company that made the bike. How long were they around? Were they considered total crap, or a reasonable ride? Any idea what year the bike is (I think it is an 87)? Where were they made? Did they go under or were they bought?

That kind of stuff...

Thanks.

DOHCtorJT

Chimp
Apr 8, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I hope you're still interested as I joined these forums just to post pics of my Montagna (I was in the midst of googling info about mine!). I'm in the same boat, I really don't know much about this bike at all. It's was light and it fits me, so I bought it. It's been converted to a singlespeed. If it helps at all I did find a stock one on craigslist a couple weeks back listed in Detroit for $150. I paid less...

Anyways, here's the pics of mine, hopefully the stock markings and "cuda fin" can trigger some memories around here :)

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
I hope you're still interested as I joined these forums just to post pics of my Montagna (I was in the midst of googling info about mine!). I'm in the same boat, I really don't know much about this bike at all. It's was light and it fits me, so I bought it. It's been converted to a singlespeed. If it helps at all I did find a stock one on craigslist a couple weeks back listed in Detroit for $150. I paid less...

Anyways, here's the pics of mine, hopefully the stock markings and "cuda fin" can trigger some memories around here :)

Cool! It doesn't look super high-end, but again, I don't know much about these. Like you said, though, it seems light (for its age) and reasonably well build, and the parts spec on mine was nice and in good shape. A few hours with the solvent tank and a powdercoat later...

Still don't have any idea where these were made, though. Does your frame show that anywhere?

Cheers.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
No name pedals, Chang Star brakes, Sakae SX Crank

It doesn't say where it was made, but I think it's italian just based on the few things I've been able to google. Who knows :)
I'm not sure how many Italian bikes of that quality level would have been imported to the US... I'm going to guess China or Taiwan based on the low end tubing.