Quantcast

Chrome Plating Evil Sovereign ???

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
I picked up a 2nd hand Evil Sovereign frame only and the paint is pretty beaten up.

I'm thinking of getting it chrome plated before I build it up.

Roughly how much weight will it add?
How durable is it compared to other finishes?
Will the plating process harm the frame in anyway (853 steel)?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Nice! Do it and post pics!

The paint on my Imp is thrashed, I've been thinking of cleaning her up and nickel plating her.

Evil's paint leaves much to be desired, but they are nice frames.

I'm thinking that plating it won't hurt the frame at all, but that chrome might flake off of your stays if they flex at all...

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Wouldn't the plating change the tolerances of both the bottom bracket shell/threads and the headtube???? If so, you'd likely have a very hard time installing the headset cups and threading in a bottom bracket......or have a lengthy face/chase session ahead of you! Am I missing something in this process, can they insert something in those areas prior to plating?

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
chrome would be very cool. i would not worry about the chrome cracking or affecting the tollerances, hundreds of thousands of bmx frames are out there that work just fine. 75 percent of all bmx frames from the 80's are chrome and they held up fine. if it were not for environmental issues i think more companies would still be doing it. i would love to have a chrome plated mtb frame(bling bling)

R

RiDurbin

Having it chromed won't hurt the frame. It will be more durable then virtually any other finish you can apply. Lifetime if properly cared for.

It will change tolerances if not properly masked. You can't mask it yourself, but the best thing to do is mask all the parts you don't want chromed with regular masking tape and take a picture of it. Leave it masked when you drop it off along with a pic of the masking. Keep an extra pic for yourself. Let them know that all the parts you masked cannot be chromed. That way they can just remove your tape and use the proper masking technique that they have. Don't just tell them where to mask when you drop it off, often they won't get to it for several weeks and thats a lot of time to forget what you told them.

Now the bad news. If you want it to be nice, they have to completely polish the frame before chroming. Very labor intensive. To get a primo job, you are looking at $250 to $400. You can chrome it without polishing but it won't look nearly as nice. If you want good results, take it to a guy who does custom car and motorcycle parts. Not just some bumper shop.

midas

Chimp
Aug 16, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
if you chrom it make sure to get some gold wheels with like 100 or more spokes... throw some d's on that bitch.

oh ya and plus every hole on that thing beucase chroming will add thickness to the metal so look out for drop outs, bb, seat tube, head tube, break mounts ect.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
if you chrom it make sure to get some gold wheels with like 100 or more spokes... throw some d's on that bitch.

oh ya and plus every hole on that thing beucase chroming will add thickness to the metal so look out for drop outs, bb, seat tube, head tube, break mounts ect.
I'm shocked you didn't suggest gold-plating the frame itself Midas. Or the complete bike.:monkey: Concerned about drawing attention to historical cliche'?

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
So how much weight will it add?

Any more info about black chrome or chrome like powder coats would be great.

Any pics of such paint/powder jobs would be really handy.

bushrider

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
NYC
the sov has removable dropouts/disc mounts so those wont be chromed.
I would only need to mask the seatube, BB and headtube correct?

Anyone know a good website for chrome like powder coats?