Quantcast

ChrisKing, Hadley, Or other?

Feb 26, 2003
ARGH!
I am building a new rear wheel (26") on a good hub I am finnally tired of this ****ty xt dying on me... freehubs, bearings.. axles.. etc :(

So i am getting a nice hub built to a 26" arrow frx (or dhx) i dunno which yet

And i can't decide which hub
One of my shops has a black CK in stock for $425 CND which is about 325 US
This one is qr, and i want fun bolts, so add like 60 bucks?

Or i could order a hadley for about $350 which is like 275 US ??

Or i could order another hub? I dunno what else is out there.. Ringle? Dtswiss?? any other suggestions?

Also, i have heard that Kings get sort of annoying, soundwise, becuase of the constant WUUURRRRR from the "ringdirve" apposed to the tick tick tick of the hadleys and other hubs ?

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
DangerousDean said:
ARGH!
I am building a new rear wheel (26") on a good hub I am finnally tired of this ****ty xt dying on me... freehubs, bearings.. axles.. etc :(

So i am getting a nice hub built to a 26" arrow frx (or dhx) i dunno which yet

And i can't decide which hub
One of my shops has a black CK in stock for $425 CND which is about 325 US
This one is qr, and i want fun bolts, so add like 60 bucks?

Or i could order a hadley for about $350 which is like 275 US ??

Or i could order another hub? I dunno what else is out there.. Ringle? Dtswiss?? any other suggestions?

Also, i have heard that Kings get sort of annoying, soundwise, becuase of the constant WUUURRRRR from the "ringdirve" apposed to the tick tick tick of the hadleys and other hubs ?
I've used KING ISO Disc hubs :love: for 2.5 years on my DH bike. I've only had to adjust them once (rear) when it came loose. It happened in my first run down (that is common for CK out of the factory). Ever since, I've had great experiences with them. So far, no problems or blown engagement mechanism.

I've also have Hugis (Hugi 240 discs) on my XC bike and they do work well, but in terms of quality and bang for the bucks, I don't believe they are as good as CK. However, Hugis are MUCH quieter than the CKs, if that is important to you. I've had them for 5 years and never needed a rebuild. I've beat the **** out of them and put LOTS of miles on them. Yet, these hubs are still running strong to this day, and I am quite impressed considering that I've blown Hope and Shimano hubs in the past...

Stay away from Hope or Shimano hubs.... they've been nothing but trouble for me, but for others, it may work out alright. Just my experiences, that is all.

-CAbiker

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Ive been riding the ISO disc hubs for a while and love them. I abuse them to my hearts desire and they just keep on giving, the noise grows on you fast so dont worry. However if ya have a bike that can tend to be flexy at the dropouts (rocky mountain thrust link bikes) get a hugi, as ive seen a few kings ripped in half by those bikes, of course thats the crappy design's fault

Feb 26, 2003
yeah, ive had nothing with trouble with all the shimano hubs i've had, but i hve heard hopes are good ? :S
i guess i will steerclear of them too

also, i want a loud hub (this is the downhill forum isnt it hahha)
but i've heard from people that the king sound which is a constant wurring gets sort of annoying, compaired to a hadley 108 or soemthing ?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Just looking at the price difference between Chris King hubs and Ringle hubs is insane. Those CK hubs better wash my bike when I am done riding and then bring me a beer.
In about 6 years of riding Ringle's, I have had one rear hub start popping.
I was overnighted a rebuild kit that a chronic paint sniffer could do in 5 minutes. I know CK hubs bring the goods and look sick, but I just can't justify the cost. It's like Hayes to me, why spend a bunch of dough to replace something that works great. Oh well, just another opinion.

mas

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
Seattle, WA
I recently had a wheel built up with a Woodman Bill Extreme Hub.

http://www.woodmancomponents.com/products/hubs/bill_xtrem.html

I was thinking Hadley but I could not drop $250 on a hub right now...worth it or not. The Woodman cost around $75..and it has a 15mm (supposedly) thru axle slotted for 10mm dropouts. I haven't put many hours on the hub yet but the price was right and the company reputable so I gave it a shot.

Yep the CK hubs make a buzzing sound...it might drive you insane after a while.

Edit: Light, strong, and cheap - pick 2 !

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
My experiences with King vs Hadley (standard freehub, not 108):

King
- needs 1-2 initial bearings adjustments, then no problems.
- HD axle with fun bolts is an acceptable method, no great though.
- Sound. I love it, but it's a preference thing.
- Engagement. No comparison. None. Far faster and very seamless.
- Versatility. Can be switched to QR and back. No thru axle options.

Hadley
- never needed any bearing adjustment. No drag when new and never loosened up.
- 10mm "through axle" is awesome. Very clever.
- Sound. Couldn't hear it when riding.
- Engagement. Crap. I can't say it's any better than lowly Shimano, though some lovers do. A lag in engagement always cause a BANG when it finally hits, which just doesn't feel like quality to me.
- Versatility. Can be switched to QR, and also 12mm thru. The 12mm thru option is good if you might take a wheelset from a FR bike to a DH bike.

In the end, if you get the new 108 freehub from Hadley, you can't go wrong with either company and it's a toss-up of sorts.

Feb 26, 2003
Ok,
I've talked toa couple friends who have owned kings, and said they arn't really worth it, and also hearing more about the hadleys make me happy.

I'm going to order a 108 hadley tommorow i think :)

thanks alot guys :heart:

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i like the bzzz of my chris kings. when they buzz too loud, it's time to throw some c. king grease in there. once the bearings settled in, i haven't had to readjust the preload in years.

at my bike shop, price for hadley and c. king aren't much different.

however one thing nice about the hadley is the standard titanium freehub shell vs. the steel option on the c. king.

hadley has more options for axle diameters, dropout spacing, right?

but c. king has a useful website, and any time i've called i've immediately reached a tech rep there.

mr.terrible

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
Finland
I've had good experiences with Hugi Fr's and Hope Bulb's(alltought some say they are ****e). I have been on the Hugi's for about two years and all I can say is that they are pretty sweet. My Fr's are quiet as hell and don't even need too much maintenance. They might not look very "Bling Bling" but from what i know they function well and are very reliable.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
..........I have been on the Hadley 108 for a year & am loving it. In my experience, the Hadley definitely has a faster engagement than the CK. The bearings have been perfect...no loosening, nice & smooth. The 10mm axle is definitely very nice & stiff feeling. Hadley!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I've used both King and Hadley, you really can't go wrong with either. Sounds like you can save a few bucks with the Hadley so ya might as well go for that.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
Bulldog said:
Hadley

- Engagement. Crap. I can't say it's any better than lowly Shimano, though some lovers do. A lag in engagement always cause a BANG when it finally hits, which just doesn't feel like quality to me.
Hadley's normal engagement is a 48t system, but you can get the 108 point cassette body in the hub for the same cost as the 48. It's not as strong in theory (two pawls engaging at a time instead of six), but it's designed for trials. I haven't heard of anybody blowing one up, and I think they've been making the 108 for at least two years now.