Quantcast

changing e2e and stroke = bad idea?

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
my new (to me) frame is coming with a 7.5x2 shock not the spec'd 7.875x2.25, so it gets more like 6.5 or less inches of travel vs the standard 7".

here is the question: should i stick with the 2.25 when i order something else, or can i boost the travel slightly by running a longer stroke (like 2.35 or 2.5?) shock? what would happen if i switched to a 8" e2e as far as geometry... higher BB? steeper/slacker headtube? bad idea? just curious...

thanks. oh, sack up & shell the coin for an avy, or go with a risse/stratos/dhx?

OGDMFG

Monkey
One of the problems that you might run into when the suspension goes thur full travel it may contact the frame or worse break the new shock. I would check the suspension with coil off the shock, keep in mind that you will be altering the geometry in the process.Oh and check and see what you bb has done. if everthing is good and you feels good ride it.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
tansition dirtbag. thanks for the help. i just don't want to drop coin on something that won't work.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
The general rule is that you don't want to deviate from the manufacturer's shock length and stroke. OGDMFG is correct in that parts may contact the frame, for one thing. The geometry will certainly be different - putting a longer stroke shock on than recommended is almost never a good idea, since it raises your bottom bracket and steepens your headangle. And who wants a steeper head angle when you're looking for more travel?

When you get the frame, take the spring off the shock and cycle the bike through the travel to make sure there are no problems. Then, if you like the geometry where it is, you can stick with that size, or go back to the OEM size. I wouldn't go longer than OEM, though.

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
Depending what year and rockers you have, your going to have reervoir clearence issues. Also, the stock romic is 8" I2I so it wont change the geometry from a 7.875 shock.

binary visions said:
When you get the frame, take the spring off the shock and cycle the bike through the travel to make sure there are no problems..
exactly...
this is what i did when i jumped from a 2 in. stroke shock to a 2.5 in. stroke shock. there are usually only two things that this kind of change affects: geometry and warranty (if you have one)

now i have jumped again from a 2.5 to a 3.0 so my H.A. was VERY f-ed up (xc style on a DH) but i just fixed that with some monster t's... its like a dirtbike now- i have a huge wheelbase, 17 in of BB height, a buncha H.A. and the standover height of a 125cc. its fun to ride because its so huge.

i dont really kow if its necessarily a bad idea, but depending on your bike, it could essentially be a mistake...