Quantcast

Changing bikes. Advice needed :O

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Well, after 4 years on my already second hand IH sunday, I have the oportunity to sell de the frame to a friend and upgrading(?) to a newer frame, so I need a little advice.

I have the chance to get this to frames relatively cheap, and for the same price:
-2014 nukeproof pulse (first hand)

-2012 turner dhr (second hand but hasnt been used much)

So what I´m concerned about is:
1. Should be worried about not having warranty anymore in case I get the turner? are they prone to cracking?

2.The pulse has a bb height of +17 mm, wich I think (correct me if im wrong) pretty high for what we have nowadays. Will I notice the difference coming from a sunday, or this is a non issue?

thanks in advance!

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
The Nukeproof doesn´t feel like a high BB at all.
IMHO there are other factors to consider, which lead to a bike feeling "too high", and everything below 14.2" should ride pretty well if the angles aren´t f***ed up.
The Nukeproof does work amazingly well. The rear, when paired with a CCDB, is extremely supple. Nearly impossible to bottom out. But it´s mostly point n shoot. Not really a playful bike.
It does cerntainly feel very different from the sunday, but i guess most modern downhill bikes do. There has been a evolution in frame geometry and you will feel the need to adjust to how those bikes ride, but i´d say they haven´t changed for the worse.
Hope that helps :-)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm not going to lie, after hopping through three or four DH bikes since the sunday, I missed it, a lot. The frame is a fantastic combination of a decent suspension design, decent build quality, excellent stiffness, and fantastic geometry. Everything just clicks on that frame if you can deal with the shock mounting issues.

I'm sure there are more modern frames that have surpassed the bike, but I'm not sure by how much, especially with an angled headset.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm not going to lie, after hopping through three or four DH bikes since the sunday, I missed it, a lot. The frame is a fantastic combination of a decent suspension design, decent build quality, excellent stiffness, and fantastic geometry. Everything just clicks on that frame if you can deal with the shock mounting issues.

I'm sure there are more modern frames that have surpassed the bike, but I'm not sure by how much, especially with an angled headset.
considering the 3 or 4 DH frames were hopped to, i'd take this opinion with a grain of salt. none of them were exactly "modern" frames.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am by no means a suspension expert, or a bike expert, but the pulse looks like a single pivot similar to the transition bikes, obviously mounting points and linkage lenghts and wheelbase and such plays a part, but I liked my tr450 and my current tr500.

I'm only going with the eyeball test here, so I'm sure if I got out my suspension calculator I could tell you exactly how much differently the bike will react given the barometric pressure of your area on race day.

Sam Hill seems ok on it.

My buddy has the previous DHR, so I understand its a fair amount different than the bike you're considering, but it's a nice piece, good craftsman ship and the parking lot test proves to provide a bike that feels good.

I'd personally go for the first hand bike myself, you'll have fresh bearings, warranty, new shock, etc.

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Thanks for the replies, I thinks the turner would be similar to what im used to in the sunday but upgraded I guess, so I probably go that way!
Thanks to all

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I had a Sunday, and now I ride a DW-Link DHR. Overall, I like the DHR better. The DHR is a more balanced bike; it doesn't plow the rough stuff as good as the Sunday, but it's a poppier, more pumpable frame. It carries on the Sunday's tradition of long, low, and slack, and it's almost as good as the Sunday in the rough while being a lot more playful.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I had a Sunday and now a DHR. definitely like the DHR more. as far as not handling the rough stuff as well as the Sunday, I have not had that experience. it seems to do everything better in my experience. I bought a 2011 DHR at the end of 2012 second hand, and Turner warrantied me a front triangle no questions asked. It was related to the machining of the inside of the heat tube(was making some creaking sounds in the headset, unrelated to the "recall" of first run frames). I can't say enough good things about the performance of the bike and the customer service of Turner. That being said, the Nukeproof wouldn't be a bad way to go either in terms of performance. CRC has been getting good results. Might be harder to get customer service related things done though, if you don't live in Europe.