Quantcast

chain suck

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
My chain keeps popping off. What the hell is wrong with my bike? It seems to happen more when I am going over rougher terrain. It came off three times today over an 8 mile ride.

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
More things to check, is your DT clean? Excessive buildup can cause chain suck. Also, bent teeth on chainrings, twisted links, dirty freehub, worn out free hubs (keep feeding chain when you stop pedaling) or bad luck :-)D ).

M

MuDHoG

Don't want to sound like a know it all here (cause I sure don't, know it all that is) but Chain-suck is actually a failure of the chain to disengage from the bottom teeth of a front chain-ring; instead the chain is carried up and around the full circumference of the ring, to wind back onto itself, and to jam between the chain-ring and chain-stays.
Because it usually occurs unexpectedly during forceful pedalling, the chain can be permanently twisted, teeth can be damaged, and chain-stays of aluminium or carbon-fibre can also be damaged by the chain being wedged hard against them. In my unproffesianl opinion, twisted chain or adjustments of derailers.....just an opinion :D

Target

Chimp
Sep 23, 2001
Kelowna, BC
My FSR had a lot of trouble with the chain falling off the front derailleur on rocky descents. The trouble is lack of chain tension on the rear derailleur causing it to swing forward with rear suspension action thus causing the chain to whip forward and off your front ring. Try flicking your rear derailleur forward with your finger quickly and see what that does to your chain.

I tried taking 2-4 links out and putting spacers between the rings up front to separate them more and tweaking the front derailleur settings up nauseum. I used to break a chain every month or two.

Solution: Get rid of the big ring up front and put on a rock ring. I got one of the smooth ones with a diameter same as middle ring. Without the big ring you can take another 4-6 links off of your chain. This pulls the rear derailleur forward and leads to less slack in the chain when the bike is bouncing around on a trail. Every FSR has this problem ( we have two and 8 friends have them (and mine has a boxxer and weighs 40lbs now so the only thing left original is the frame - hehe)).

Hope this helps!:D

Target

Chimp
Sep 23, 2001
Kelowna, BC
if you are gonna shorten your chain, be careful not to overdo it. You need to be able to ride the big ring front and back without ripping your rear derailleur off. I know you probably knew that but had to make sure ;)

RedMonkey

Chimp
Sep 25, 2001
DE
I use a device called the Davidson Chain Device. It bolts to the lower chain stay and the chain is fed through a pulley. This then takes up the slack prevents chain suck on harsh terrain.

Crash

Chimp
Aug 16, 2001
Bay Area
Sugars are well known for chain suck...the solution I found with mine is to not have too much torque on the chain when shifting. If you can anticipate your gear changes and shift smoothly, that helps. I haven't had any problems since I started doing that.

My $.02

M

MuDHoG

did you all just blow by my post ............. It's not Chain suck......his chain is just popping off, although the help you gave was good it still doesn't make his problem chain suck!!!!!!!!!!:angryfire

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Which gears are you using? Are you riding rough terrain in the little meat and 3 or 4 down on the back? If so stop doing that and use the mid ring. That'll put more tension on the chain which will be less likely to bounce off. It could be worn drivetrain too. When the chain stretches enough you'll see that it does not seat into all the teeth on the rings and cogs. It'll ride up some of the teeth so again it doesn't take much bouncing to pop off. I assume the bike used to work well and this is a new problem? If so then its probably time for some new parts. How old is your stuff? My experience is that drivetrains wear out after about 300 or 400 hours off road around here where we get a lot of rain and mud. Dry areas I'll bet you get double the life.

M

MuDHoG

true... hows about we just keep it simple and call it "the chain comes off the chainring and is f'ing up my riding karma"lol

rvonprisk

Chimp
Aug 7, 2005
I Are Baboon said:
My chain keeps popping off. What the hell is wrong with my bike? It seems to happen more when I am going over rougher terrain. It came off three times today over an 8 mile ride.

You really need to try a Ronniering it works for 99 percent of chain ring suck
try it works great

www.Ronniering.com

lux

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Wilmington, NC
Yessir. Probably just googled "chain suck" and went ahead and posted without reading the original post date. Or maybe he did read the post date and, thusly, is even more of a n00b.

Do you think they make a downhill version or is it just for freeride?