Quantcast

ceramic bearings

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so this shop i work at has a lot of customers with copious amount of money to spend. these past 2 days, we've done a ceramic bearing swap on a Pinarello Paris with Fulcrum Racing Ones. $400 worth of bearings...wheels (30 smaller bearings, i believe, and 2 cartridge bearings [freehub]), and bottom bracket (Dura Ace).

first off, the wheels...

in my opinion, Fulcrums are the ****, as far as boutique wheels go. spoking pattern makes sense, "Dynamic Balancing" makes sense, loose ball, and attractive. only downside is the price...$40/ spoke on the Racing Ones, and Campy hub internals aren't cheap.

when we swapped out the steel balls for the ceramic ones, we were expecting to awed. the ceramic balls felt like nothing. little plastic balls.

we weren't. felt gritty...used Phil Wood grease. backed the tension off a hair, then spun the hell out of the wheel...sort of 'breaking in' the bearings.

god damn. bitches were freakin' nice.

rear hub proved to be a little tricky, as we had no explosion diagram of the freehub...there's a little circlip holding in the inner-most bearing.

anyone else able to experience the ceramic bearing revolution? it is possible to release the balls from Chris King bearings (i.e. seperate the races)...if i could afford the ceramic balls, i'd put them in my Kings in a heartbeat.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yup done many upgrades for Mavic, Zipp, and shimano wheels. the outboard bearing cranks too.

i want a couple sets for the main hub bearings in my hadley. i'd love to have a burley isis bb with them in it.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
yup done many upgrades for Mavic, Zipp, and shimano wheels. the outboard bearing cranks too.

i want a couple sets for the main hub bearings in my hadley. i'd love to have a burley isis bb with them in it.
I wish they had ceramic for the freehub body. That little bearing seems to die kinda fast and then the whole rear wheel feels loose. Too bad that is a Hadley specific bearing, I need a new one right about now as the play has gotten particularly bad.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
anyone else able to experience the ceramic bearing revolution?
What you mean paying a crap load more money for parts which are functionally almost identical to the old ones?

Wonder what next years must have product will be for the audiophile wing of the cycling world.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
What you mean paying a crap load more money for parts which are functionally almost identical to the old ones?

Wonder what next years must have product will be for the audiophile wing of the cycling world.
Coming to a bike site and making fun of bike geeks is way more stupid than ceramic bearings. Seriously.