Quantcast

Cassette VS Freewheel

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
Ive read a few things, but besides smaller tooth count cog ability on cassette hubs, are there any other real world advantages to one or the other?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Uh, It's slightly easier to change a cassette hub cog? Not a huge advantage really...

Also BTW I think you can get a 9 tooth freewheel these days, whereas 11 is the minimum on a casette.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Cassette seems more reliable to me. I've never like freewheel 'cause dirt gets in the gap of the mechanism and they're not "crisp" feeling.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I suppose on a MTB style frame you can have a wider flange spacing with a freewheel, leading to a stronger wheel. That's a good advantage.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Teh 4w3s0m3:

The latest edition to Profile Racing’s MTB Cassette Hub series – Specifically designed for the growing number of hybrid MTB downhill and MTB freestyle bikes – Disk brake only – Same features as Profile Racing’s 6-Speed Cassette Hub – 36 or 32 hole – 135mm width – Polished or Black anodized – Comes with choice of cog (9T – 18T). Also QR or bolt on versions available.

Sweeeet.

Price: US$ 254.95 Ouch!

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
freewheels are bitches to remove. and you're pretty much limited to either the White Industries or everyone else.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
RideSiK said:
an 8 tooth would wear down crazy fast wouldnt it???
in theory. but I've seen guys that have been riding 9 tooths for a long time, and riding often and they show no or little wear and I've seen 9 tooths completely worn away. ... so guess it depends on maybe how hard you pedal? if your a park rider, your probably not pedaling your balls off towards everything.

I think it's KHE that's making an 8 tooth from aluminum...on would think it would wear out in a week..

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've been hearing that freewheels are actually lighter than casette hubs, and they are cheaper. Freewheels do blow up more often than casette hubs, but neither one is perfect. I've never had a problem with a freewheel getting tons of dirt in it and feeling poopy, but I like to get new ones every year or so.

There are no 9 tooth freewheels, the smallest freewheel available is an Odyssey 13tooth, and you'll need a flip flop hub to run it.

Cassette cogs get pretty small, but it's the one piece cog/driver that gets down to 8 or 9 teeth. While it's all the rage in BMX with skatepark rats who never really pedal, having such a small gear ratio wears out your cog/driver and sprocket, and you can look forward to breaking a lot of chains. It's lighter, but looses the strength of a larger set up. The smallest I'll ever go is a 36-13. I've got a 39-14 right now, and it works fine. I still prefer the nice, smooth torqey feeling of a good 44-16 though, but I'm old school.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
I'm running the intergal 13t freewheel on my 24" right now. Coming from a Mtb backround, and basicly switching over to bmx, I never really even new about freewheels until I bought a primo stock hub. It sounds funny, but up until then I had always ran a regular cassette hub. I was a bit confused by the freewheel hub when I first took a close look at it. I have to say, I really like freewheels better. I've had a few cassette hubs blow up, and the times I did, I ended up having to buy a new hub. Now if a freewheel craps out I just have to replace it. I don't have to measure/buy spokes, I don't have to relace a wheel, its really nice. I've found a really simple way to remove a freewheel too. I have a table mounted vice, that I put my freewheel tool in. I place the wheel on it, and give it a nice strong turn. It works great!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
20 plus years inthe bmx world and I one of the best things to happen has been smaller gearing. my sprocket is out of the way, I almost never hit my chain on stuff anymore. I have been riding the same rear hub (original Odyssey cassette) since it came out. no problems at all. my driver is an 11 tooth and show no or little wear. there is no way I'd go back to 44-16.

I'm stoked on smaller gearing.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm all about microdrive clearance, too. I'm a hack and very prone to hitting my sprocket on ledges - my 36 on the bmx has held up longer than any 44's I had back in the day - if I ever get another frame I'll go even smaller (36-13 just clears the brakes on the chainstay). I'm saving my pennies to setup my mtb 26-13 or 25-12.

skurfer333

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
Enginerd A2 said:
I'm saving my pennies to setup my mtb 26-13 or 25-12.
DAMN thats wicked small! I'd love to see/ride that setup though just to see how it feels. I didn't realize there was such a big difference in personal preference (44-16 to 25-12). more power to you.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, but on a BMX you've gotta run a "harder" gear ratio to get an equivalent feel to a MTB. I run a 44-15 on my BMX and 32-14 on my MTB. I want to go 29-13 on my MTB.