Quantcast

Carbon Fiber Aftermarket Spring for Rear Shock

Would you be interested in purchasing a carbon fiber coil spring for your rear shock?

• Yes, definitely!

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Maybe, depends on the price compared with a Ti spring.

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • No way! Carbon fiber coil spring? Are you nuts?

Votes: 27 36.0%

• Total voters

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Just curious what the interest would be like for carbon fiber reinforced epoxy coil springs for rear shocks. This would be to replace the steel or titanium spring that currently comes with shocks.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Sure, basically it would have the same free length, diameter, spring rate, and travel as your stock spring, but it would be made of carbon fiber and be a fraction of the weight. That's all I can really say for now.

you know carbon fiber is brittle right?

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
Sure, basically it would have the same free length, diameter, spring rate, and travel as your stock spring, but it would be made of carbon fiber and be a fraction of the weight. That's all I can really say for now.
Downhillers care about weight?!? Thats new to me.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
Every material can deform elastically.
but carbon fiber has a low elastic limit (joe beat me to it), do you honestly think you will get more then 1 day of riding out of it? the cost of production would be so high that noone would buy them even if they worked. why not try scandium before carbon fiber

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
......so how do you plan on making a spring out of it?:huh:
Just for your information, carbon springs have existed for years . Just because you're not aware of them doesn't mean they don't exist!!! I actually even have one laying around at home. Too soft a rate and too short a stroke for my bike though but you can get just about any rate.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
but carbon fiber has a low elastic limit (joe beat me to it), do you honestly think you will get more then 1 day of riding out of it? the cost of production would be so high that noone would buy them even if they worked. why not try scandium before carbon fiber

You just proved what you don't know. Scandium is a horrible choice for springs.

And yes I would buy it if it were priced right and had proven durability, just like any other part.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Just for your information, carbon springs have existed for years . Just because you're not aware of them doesn't mean they don't exist!!! I actually even have one laying around at home. Too soft a rate and too short a stroke for my bike though but you can get just about any rate.

Just to clarify.....are we talking about carbon fiber reinforced composite springs, or solely carbon fiber? I assumed he was talking carbon fiber itself.....I know several epoxy-based, carbon fiber reinforced springs exist.

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
Just to clarify.....are we talking about carbon fiber reinforced composite springs, or solely carbon fiber? I assumed he was talking carbon fiber itself.....I know several epoxy-based, carbon fiber reinforced springs exist.
Yes we are talking carbon fiber/epoxy. Sorry, I thought that was obvious, but I guess not. My bad.

Lollapalooza

Monkey
Jan 22, 2007
I don't know if I want my spring made by a guy who says LOL. Haha jk lolwtfbbq. Do you have any ideas on pricing though? Would you be able to make a 275lb x 3" spring?

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
I don't know if I want my spring made by a guy who says LOL. Haha jk lolwtfbbq. Do you have any ideas on pricing though? Would you be able to make a 275lb x 3" spring?
You can rest easy, I am not making these myself. Sorry, I don't yet know what the price point would be, but I'm assuming it would have to be reasonable (same as or slightly more than a Ti spring) to justify moving forward with this. I'm just trying to get an idea for how this would be received by the DH community.

275lb x 3" should not be a problem.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
if its been tested and close to the same price as ti but lighter i dont see why they wouldnt sell
I agree, the company would also have to stand behind the product pretty well also. It would be real easy to have a manufacturing defect in them if the QC wasn't up to par.. To the guys that say they wouldn't work you need to do your homework, they are out there already. Several companies have some patents in for them. Carbon/composite leaf springs have been around a while, look under a newer corvette.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I agree, the company would also have to stand behind the product pretty well also. It would be real easy to have a manufacturing defect in them if the QC wasn't up to par.. To the guys that say they wouldn't work you need to do your homework, they are out there already. Several companies have some patents in for them. Carbon/composite leaf springs have been around a while, look under a newer corvette.

I believe most of our confusion (mine at least) laid in the fact we thought he was talking about pure CF, not a composite, CF-reinforced spring. Crazy, I know, but you have seen what some people on this site have suggested in the past.:bonk:

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
i've held a carbon fiber "leaf style" spring, that was used in a formula one car.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Make them durable (and able to fit my Avy's) and I would buy them.

As for pricing, I say price them equal to, or just under, ti springs. You'll sell enough of them for manufacturing costs to go way down.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I believe most of our confusion (mine at least) laid in the fact we thought he was talking about pure CF, not a composite, CF-reinforced spring. Crazy, I know, but you have seen what some people on this site have suggested in the past.:bonk:
Of course he is refering to a composite. I can't think of a single product that uses only carbon fibers. The fibers themself have no compression modulous. You need the resin to make a product other than possibly a rope.

Let us know if you do go through with manufacturing it.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Manufacturing a steel or ti spring is fairly straightforward. Wrap a coil out of barstock, and then heat treat it.

A resin composite would have to be molded, with a different multipiece 3-D mold for every size and springweight piece you want to produce. Will definately be labour intensive, and not easy to pull off. Coming up with a resin formula that is both durable and flexible to the springweight you want will also be a challenge.

Composite leaf springs would definately be much easier to pull off.

I wish you luck with this, would be cool to see if something is actually able to be done with this idea.

Whats cool about resin composites is that once your mold is made, and formula set, you can pump out as many as you want. And in multi-colours, too.

I think you don't need to look any farther than this thread to find guinea pigs willing to test product out. ;)

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Sounds risky and expensive.

I'll take two.

I recall at IB about 10 years ago a few companies had carbon springs with a braided-look exterior displayed at their booths. Nothing ever came available though.

In 1995 a local Ut. carbon company had me test a carbon "spring" on my bike. It was a hex shaped can with a bunch of carbon wavy hex shaped wafers inside that were stacked staggered so the edges of the wafers met each other on the tips. This was mounted on my shock like a normal spring. The wafers were progressive as they compressed so i believe they were more of a rising rate than a normal steel coil. As they compressed they rubbed a lot inside the can. Between the grinding noise and the rising rate it was not ideal on my stylin' Y bike but damn it looked crazy and was nearly weightless!!! The wafers could be altered to tune progresivity but it was too progressive allready so i never tried any other configurations.

Huge potental..? The vanilla R with the hex can was lighter than my Fox Alps was.

Oh- me in my carbon heyday Oh Yeah!!

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i am working on some wooden coil spring technology, and wanted to see if DH'ers would be interested.

hickory or maple finish preferred?

TIA.