Quantcast

Carbon and Sunlight.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I recently purchased a Carbon Intense Tracer.I Ride several times a week after work. My Parking spot at work pretty much keeps direct sunlight on my bike the entire day. I have had anodized parts bleach out in the sun before. I am a bit concerned about leaving a plastic bike sitting in the sun all day. Dumb ass rules have me in an assigned space parking in one direction. No "Lopes" parking allowed. Already been told to keep the bike out of the office.
Question is: is it safe to leave the bike in the sun? maybe some sort of cover over it? or just shove it inside the car.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
UV will not hurt the carbon but can break down the epoxies used to bond the carbon. That being said, there should be a layer of UV resistant paint or clearcoat over the carbon. If this is in good shape you will be fine. Similar epoxies have been used in outdoor fiberglass structures for years, as well as crabon fiber airplanes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
UV will not hurt the carbon but can break down the epoxies used to bond the carbon. That being said, there should be a layer of UV resistant paint or clearcoat over the carbon. If this is in good shape you will be fine. Similar epoxies have been used in outdoor fiberglass structures for years, as well as crabon fiber airplanes.
You're assuming engineering competency in the bike world...

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
When working at a large manufacturer of carbon frames, I helped with an interesting test a few years back.

We took a frame that had been sitting inside a sealed box for 5 years and stiffness tested it against a frame that had been ridden and exposed to the environment for 5 years (but was not physically damaged).

The "exposed" frame was noticeably softer, almost shockingly so. The enginerds theorized that the epoxy had in fact broken down leading to tons of micro cracks inside the carbon structure which weakened it.
Granted this was a road bike so it used minimal material to start with.

The response from the product managers was that "people buy a new bike every few years, so who cares". :thumbsdown:

Long story short, carbon frames degrade pretty rapidly when exposed to the environment. Cover that bike up!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When working at a large manufacturer of carbon frames, I helped with an interesting test a few years back.

We took a frame that had been sitting inside a sealed box for 5 years and stiffness tested it against a frame that had been ridden and exposed to the environment for 5 years (but was not physically damaged).

The "exposed" frame was noticeably softer, almost shockingly so. The enginerds theorized that the epoxy had in fact broken down leading to tons of micro cracks inside the carbon structure which weakened it.
Granted this was a road bike so it used minimal material to start with.

The response from the product managers was that "people buy a new bike every few years, so who cares". :thumbsdown:

Long story short, carbon frames degrade pretty rapidly when exposed to the environment. Cover that bike up!
How can you relate the degradation to exposure when riding is going to have a direct and significant impact on cracking and degradation?

You're assuming engineering competency in the bike world...
Mea-Derpa.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I hate to put the the thing in the car. It is the first time I have ever had a car that actually cost more than ny bike. My car is is not far from my window, I guess I can leave the windows down and keep watch. Who ever thought being trendy would be so much work.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
find new job.

Any job that told me I couldn't protect a multi-thousand dollar investment from theft and uv carbon degredation is one that I don't want.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I hate to put the the thing in the car. It is the first time I have ever had a car that actually cost more than ny bike. My car is is not far from my window, I guess I can leave the windows down and keep watch. Who ever thought being trendy would be so much work.
Can you put your bike in a bike bag and then take it with you into your office?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Get your GF/BH a paddock girl gear?
If it wasn't for these diligent women, F1 cars and Moto GP bikes would literally disintegrate during starts from UV exposure.

It is a little know fact that every 787 has an Aluminum counterpart flying above it to keep it in the shade.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Buy a minivan and take the seats out. Keep your nice new car in the garage. Drive a hammered, shit box, minivan with your bike in it and all your gear. Find one with tinted windows and high milage. Pull one of the hub caps off. This is of course if you fail to throw one off while sliding around a corner on the way to the trail head. And yeah, drive this death trap on wheels to work. No one will have a clue about what's inside.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I guess just to be safe I am going to cover it. I have seen several options. I see several light, breathable ones. Dont need heat build up Prices antwhere from 15 to $50.00.
Wow. So now a furniture cover or towel won't do. I hope the riding experience is worth all this hassle.

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Considering It being a very expensive investment. and this thing is sitting in the sun 9 hours a day, 3-4 days a week, I think a couple bucks more to protect it corectly from possible failure is a good idea. Now if I can only protect is from my hack riding. I do not know if I will ever buy another carbon bike though. Too much care involved and the riding is the same as a cheaper possibly more durable aluminum bike. Cripes, I am starting to feel like a Dentist roadie!!