Quantcast

Car/Vdub monkeys...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Yes, another one of those threads...

Im looking into buying a car. Im pretty much never home or even in my own country, so i wont drive it more then a couple thousand miles a year and it doesnt have to be fancy as long as its comfortable and reliable.
I found a 1999 Passat Wagon with a 2.3 v5 with relatively low mileage (130000) miles for a decent price.
Anybody have any info or experiance with these engines? Im totally clueless on these things so any help is appreciated!

Cheers..

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
america did not get the V5......maybe ask around on the kotex...aka the vwvortex in the passat forums.

99 percent of the people on here will tell you not to buy it anyway.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
wife and i had 02 and 03 passats. they were great up into the low 100k miles, then became expensive to maintain. not sure about the that engine though. ours were both 1.8t v4s.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The answer is......Subaru?

Also, based on your origin, are your miles really kilometers? Because 130k miles is a lot........

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Per tradeinqualityindex.com:

VW Passat, all generations

Key to reading this: that's not good.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
i heard my 93 wagon had 230,000 miles on it before it got totaled.

and the only thing that graph tells me is most people are too cheap for maintenance.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
19 Posts and 3.5 of them are somewhat usefull... Thats way better then I was expecting. :D

The thing is, the price of this car is 1500$. Which is cheap, I see comparable cars with higher mileage for a lot more money.
I know a toyota would be moar better/reliable but ive allways liked the looks of the older vw/audi wagons.

Ill only be driving this car around the house for a couple weeks a year so i figured 130000 miles isnt much.
My '98 audi a3 1.8 that i bought in '99 did 13000 miles without any problems untill I sold it after 8 years.

Thanks for the input so far but I was hoping for some info on this specific 2.3l v5.
Ill take a look around on that vw forum...

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
19 Posts and 3.5 of them are somewhat usefull... Thats way better then I was expecting. :D

The thing is, the price of this car is 1500$. Which is cheap, I see comparable cars with higher mileage for a lot more money.
I know a toyota would be moar better/reliable but ive allways liked the looks of the older vw/audi wagons.
Your original inquiry had no requirements that the car not look like a fucking turd (Honda/Toyota). So yeah... if you care what it looks like you're probably not gonna end up with a Civic.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks for the input so far but I was hoping for some info on this specific 2.3l v5.
Ill take a look around on that vw forum...
Yeah, you'll do better there. As noted, we never got that engine in the US, which really limits the audience here that'll have any direct experience with it.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

I was just thinking about how I had to buy special fucking spark plugs for my Audi when they crapped out at $20 a piece and available by mail order fucking only. Fuck those cars. Replaced them with $2 NGKs which worked just fine and sold the money pit.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Hell, I say get what you want. For $1500, I would not sweat it.. I have been driving a Tacoma for 221,000 straight miles, and reliability is about the only thing is has going for it. My next car is going to be a vw, simply because I like them. I know better but life is too short to give a damn.
Ha, the only problem I am having is that I was set on a GTI, and I showed it to my wife and six year old daughter.
Wife shrugged her shoulders in a get what you want gesture, but my daughter is begging me to get the new TDI golf sportwagen. She says, Daddy that wagon will carry all our crap, and when you take me to bike races, it will be better than that tiny car. I am having a hard time arguing with her. I think she is right.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
Hell, I say get what you want. For $1500, I would not sweat it.. I have been driving a Tacoma for 221,000 straight miles, and reliability is about the only thing is has going for it. My next car is going to be a vw, simply because I like them. I know better but life is too short to give a damn.
Ha, the only problem I am having is that I was set on a GTI, and I showed it to my wife and six year old daughter.
Wife shrugged her shoulders in a get what you want gesture, but my daughter is begging me to get the new TDI golf sportwagen. She says, Daddy that wagon will carry all our crap, and when you take me to bike races, it will be better than that tiny car. I am having a hard time arguing with her. I think she is right.
Damn - I think I may smell a midlife crisis in its infancy. I like it! :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
roof box & hitch mount. problem solved.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, you'll do better there. As noted, we never got that engine in the US, which really limits the audience here that'll have any direct experience with it.
I think the V5 is basically a VR6 with a cylinder missing. It should have similar reliability to the VR6. Not sure what that would be. My MKIII GTI had interior and exterior trim parts that regularly declared independance from the rest of the car, but the driveline was perfectly reliable for the 130,000 miles I had it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think the V5 is basically a VR6 with a cylinder missing. It should have similar reliability to the VR6. Not sure what that would be. My MKIII GTI had interior and exterior trim parts that regularly declared independance from the rest of the car, but the driveline was perfectly reliable for the 130,000 miles I had it.
Any idea what kind of witchcraft they're using to balance that?

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
So Ive been reading on a couple different forums about this engine.
It seems to be very thirsty and not as fast as youd think of a 2.3 v5.
On the other hand it has a ton of torque and it is very reliable.
Since im only gonna be driving it around my big ass house, this car seems pretty perfect for what Im looking for.

Thanks again for playing rm

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
So Ive been reading on a couple different forums about this engine.
It seems to be very thirsty and not as fast as youd think of a 2.3 v5.
On the other hand it has a ton of torque and it is very reliable.
Since im only gonna be driving it around my big ass house, this car seems pretty perfect for what Im looking for.

Thanks again for playing rm
IMO it's not the drivetrain that you have to "worry" about with VAGs. The drivetrains are pretty solid, for the most part. It's all that other $hit... :)