Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What happened to all the direct order companies. I get it that carbonz is the new hot thing and so is enduro but now all they seem to push are pretty expensive bikes. 3700 Euro for the base model isn't cheap given their distribution model. As much as I like many of the bikes they offer I'm really waiting for a direct order company that just makes a proper trailbike with good geo and decent suspension characteristic under 3k euro. They need to remember some people need to get 2 of those ;)

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
What happened to all the direct order companies. I get it that carbonz is the new hot thing and so is enduro but now all they seem to push are pretty expensive bikes. 3700 Euro for the base model isn't cheap given their distribution model. As much as I like many of the bikes they offer I'm really waiting for a direct order company that just makes a proper trailbike with good geo and decent suspension characteristic under 3k euro. They need to remember some people need to get 2 of those ;)
http://www.propain-bikes.com/de/shop/All+Mountain+Enduro+Bike+TWOFACE++-48/
http://www.radon-bikes.de/xist4c/web/All-Mountain/Enduro_id_9501_.htm

You are welcome. :D

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I know about the propain and need to test ride it. I'm thinking about it and the tyee. I was thinking about 27.5 just to not go through the hassle of changing my bike because I can't get no tires in 2 years though from what I gather medium wheeled bikes ride the same as 26ers.

Radon is nice but the head angle is steep unless you talk about the 3k carbon one. It's nice but not for my polish wage. Will offset headset steepen or slacken the seattube when I slacked the headtube angle?

but he wantz teh carbonz!
Nope. Don't care about carbonz. What I do care is if it rides well.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not sure about that. I bet on five years or more. Otherwise bike industry went full retard.
A friend of mine from a company I worked for claims the industry is making a strong push towards it. Remember that a large part of what shops in resorts stock is what their rental fleet runs and their rental fleet will be in 27.5 outside of their dh bikes. The regular non resort shops will sell 26 parts, especially in Poland since we are slower to adapt due to lower wages but I don't like to bring a ton of extra tires in case I kill them on a rock. Same goes for rims.

How is 3299 euro under 3000 euro? Also a 350mm bb is quite high. Remember it's a 160mm bike so sagged it will be way higher than on a dh bike. Not a fan of a bike riding like 370mm bb dh bikes

Last edited:

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
Hmm, wasn't this about a new bike with new technology?:think:
I guess that is pretty uninteresting. Hehe

We are tired of new tech especially 275 craziness. Mtb industry went full retard and the market is so small compared to cars and Mc.

Canyon strive looks interesting.. But I think I prefer less switch knobs. More like BMX bike style. Brake lever on handlebar, that's!

Samoto

Dec 16, 2013
A friend of mine from a company I worked for claims the industry is making a strong push towards it. Remember that a large part of what shops in resorts stock is what their rental fleet runs and their rental fleet will be in 27.5 outside of their dh bikes. The regular non resort shops will sell 26 parts, especially in Poland since we are slower to adapt due to lower wages but I don't like to bring a ton of extra tires in case I kill them on a rock. Same goes for rims.
Fair enough.

I will ride 26er in Alpes in next a few years. Well see how it fares. Heck I could set up a shop there and sell only 26er parts. I would live on it. :-)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Hmm, wasn't this about a new bike with new technology?:think:
Who cares. It's another thing designed to make a long travel bike friendly towards the xc crowd. Why do the XC racers are the ones who need the most help with pedalling? I was racing XC when I was a kid and unless I'm riding a really small gear in a bike designed to run a bigger cog I feel no bob so why do they have a problem with it? Too much XC makes you stupid? Seriously designing bikes towards that crowd (which tbh I'm not sure exists or wants enduro bikes like that) is plain stupid. Why can't we have bikes that are fun? As much as I hate to admit it Spesh did it right with the Pitch a really long time ago. Why won't others just copy the geo just how the industry followed the low and slack when the Sunday became popular?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Maybe you should buy two old Pitch then and ride them until 26" is dead?
Should be doable with just 3.000€, right?!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Maybe you should buy two old Pitch then and ride them until 26" is dead?
Should be doable with just 3.000€, right?!
Hard to get one in decent condition, the susp also wasn't up to my taste. There are a few bikes that I like. I'm just pissed at where the industry is going because it proves a large majority of the designers don't really ride or at least they listen to the wrong people.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Even though, I am not fan of overcomplicated suspension designs, what Canyon came up with, I really dig.
3700eur is not very steep price for CF bike with very good suspension components + 11sp drivetrain.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Even though, I am not fan of overcomplicated suspension designs, what Canyon came up with, I really dig.
3700eur is not very steep price for CF bike with very good suspension components + 11sp drivetrain.
One word. Maintenance.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
hook that sh|t up to my dropper post so it raises when the geo gets steeper and lowers when the geo gets slacker yo.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
How is high BB an XC thing? When I do steep technical climbing in chunk and roots where active suspension is the ticket to traction, low BB is the last thing I am wishing for.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
can't get no tires in 2 years
That's what they said 2 years ago. If your brain hasn't already turned to mush by the marketing and instead look around on the trails, you'll notice that the majority are 26".

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
That's what they said 2 years ago. If your brain hasn't already turned to mush by the marketing and instead look around on the trails, you'll notice that the majority are 26".
Not around these parts anymore. However this is dirt roadie central, so 29ers rule. And if you are height challenged and are afraid to smash your nuts on the top tubes of a clown bike you buy the next smaller wheelsize so you can be cool and are allowed in the lycra club.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Not really. It's the first year all the people I know in the industry are saying so. It's also the first year when the majority of new bikes released are 27.5. As much as I would like to think 26ers are as good as you think it's not the case here. It makes me sad but wishful thinking won't change reality.

How is high BB an XC thing? When I do steep technical climbing in chunk and roots where active suspension is the ticket to traction, low BB is the last thing I am wishing for.
Tell me how bikes designed to pedal well in early travel will have an active suspension? Also nope, the key to traction is not loosing energy and momentum on the climb. Not to mention steep technical climbs are an xc thing. Some people do it on bigger bikes but I'm willing to bet 3/4 of us ride easier trails up to ride harder tr

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Tell me how bikes designed to pedal well in early travel will have an active suspension? Also nope, the key to traction is not loosing energy and momentum on the climb. Not to mention steep technical climbs are an xc thing. Some people do it on bigger bikes but I'm willing to bet 3/4 of us ride easier trails up to ride harder tr
I hear these arguments from people who never hit the rocky/rooty twisty steep-short-up'n'down trails of the East Coast where there is no smooth up and rough down to be had. I am not talking about bikes that pedal well (how about Knolly Warden, too XC for you, too?), I am talking about being able to pedal at all - pedal strikes and **** like that.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
what the hell is a canyon?

also, the seat tube seems incredibly short. I don't think a tall person could get a seatpost high enough to ride it uphill.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Not really. It's the first year all the people I know in the industry are saying so. It's also the first year when the majority of new bikes released are 27.5. As much as I would like to think 26ers are as good as you think it's not the case here. It makes me sad but wishful thinking won't change reality.
Huh? I'm saying the install base is still there. 2 years time there will still be a lot of 26ers out there and the tire makers will hopefully still be producing tires for the existing base. If you're not convinced, buy a bunch now and stick them in the bunker closet. I'm set for a good many years at the moment :)

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
but, but, but, buttttt your tires wont be fresh and sticky!

we had a thread on here not too long ago, and someone was stressing the importance of buying 'fresh' tires.. i just buy whatever is schwalbe and cheap. :)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do people really adjust their geometry that often? Is it that much of a feature that you'd sacrifice an extra pound of frame weight? You can't learn to compensate for the slacker HAs and lower BBs that your 6" travel bike has?

I love that this is a feature worth an extra grand, but God forbid you put a front derailleur on anything or try to improve it, you'll totally ruin the enduroness of the raditude.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Huh? I'm saying the install base is still there. 2 years time there will still be a lot of 26ers out there and the tire makers will hopefully still be producing tires for the existing base. If you're not convinced, buy a bunch now and stick them in the bunker closet. I'm set for a good many years at the moment :)
I've responded to that idea a few posts up. There will be people on 26ers and there will be 26er parts available. That's for sure. What I'm saying is it will be hard to get them in resort and places where a lot of bikers go to ride because the rental fleets will be on 27.5 and you know well that the rental fleets dictate what the shops carry. While I may take a ton of stuff with me on every trip sometimes you just have to buy something at the park shop. Going 100 miles for it instead of riding will piss me off. I've been on a less popular standard before and all I have to say is never again.

I hear these arguments from people who never hit the rocky/rooty twisty steep-short-up'n'down trails of the East Coast where there is no smooth up and rough down to be had. I am not talking about bikes that pedal well (how about Knolly Warden, too XC for you, too?), I am talking about being able to pedal at all - pedal strikes and **** like that.

There are no fireroads in the east coast? That's news.

Also it's funny that you mention Knolly Warden when you say low bb bikes are bad for the east coast hardcore rokz when that bike is lower than 3/4 of the market even in the high setting.

Also believe me. I've been riding tech climbs since I was a kid. The local XC race organizers 10 years ago made some crazy track choices.

Not to mention are you serious about suspension? Loss of momentum in slow speed climbs because of bob is way more of a problem than pedal strikes. When you have momentum you can roll over a root or rock going up, when you have none you have to pedal over it and unless you have a 15'' bb you will hit your pedal on it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
do people really adjust their geometry that often? Is it that much of a feature that you'd sacrifice an extra pound of frame weight? You can't learn to compensate for the slacker HAs and lower BBs that your 6" travel bike has?

I love that this is a feature worth an extra grand, but God forbid you put a front derailleur on anything or try to improve it, you'll totally ruin the enduroness of the raditude.
To me adjustable susp is something that can make a bike reach a wider group. Not because people will adjust it all the time. This way both StiHacka and Me can be happy with one bike (if Jesus allows it)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
OMG! East Coast!

51.jpgbw_004.jpgbw_005.jpgPollockJames3.jpgC20.jpg

Last edited: