Quantcast

Can't seem to decide. Halp. - Bikers Dilemma.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Hi monkeys.
I'm riding my frame for 1.5 year now and I'm thinking of changing. The problem is that I think I want something quite different yet I can't decide how.
Here is my problem. I've recently got a small dj hardtail and have been riding my trail/am bike. Both gave me an idea how much fun a flickable bike can be. The problem is that my main riding for like 3-4years was DH on large stable rigs (both 9''+ travel , long, first one was a brick) and I didn't really have any time on any bikes different that that so I don't know how much more agility on a bike I want. I've been mostly doing dh racing but dh racing around here is really techy and not requireing much travel yet It's hard for me to be competitive living 300km from the nearest dh track so I decided to ease the pressure a bit and have more fun. Now I'm not sure what way to go as there are little to none FR trails around here - mostly either no jump enduro or big jumps on techy dh. I'm thinking of either getting a flickable DH bike:
Thinking of Canfield Jedi F1
Or a agile FR rig that can take downhill well yet is much more lively like commencal furious (I still have a DC fork right now but selling a 888rc2x for a 66rc2x wouldn't be that hard). I'd go for sth like the furious but I'm not sure if it won't be too big change for someone who knows only long big bikes.

I know that I should figure it myself but any feedback would be nice as I'm more indecisive about it than a drunk ordering a pizza ;)

BTW. Any1 knows the Wheelbase of the Jedi? As I can't get any response from Canfield guys (probably because of crankworx)

PS. By long rig I mean => 48'' WB.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I'd recommend an Intense Socom. Allt he right geometry for screaming DH & comfort in the air, but the pedaling efficiency & ability to take alot places on trail where other DH frames would wallow when pedaled.

Here in WNC, we have tight, tech trails with not much on the huge boulder side of things. But I have 2 friends that they both go to Snowshoe on them & rip the crap out of the big stuff there while having a blast on our stuff locally. Pretty random info from me, I know but considering I loved my IH sunday like it was a goddess, if I can't have that, I'd buy my buddies Socom in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How much crash resistant is it as I'm a frequent crasher? It seems like it's in between the 2 bike I mentioned but how is the susp? I don't really like the feel of VPP bikes. Socom also is sitting so deep in it's travel?

PS. The 66.5 HA seems a bit steep. They tried it on any serious steepness?

Last edited:
May 6, 2004
I've been mostly doing dh racing but dh racing around here is really techy and not requireing much travel yet It's hard for me to be competitive living 300km from the nearest dh track
I know what you mean, I used to live in Warsaw and unfortunately Warsaw is nowhere near Polish Mountains.

If you are a frequent crasher I would rather not get Socom. It is a race only bike and you have also said you did not like the feel of VPP bike.
I would wait to hear from Canfield guys. If I was not a yeti whore, Canfield would be very high on my list.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Planing to move out after finishing geting my engineering degree. My new dj helps a lot but I'm still very lame about it so not as much fun as riding.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If your looking for something flickable and durable, then take a look at Transition bikes. The Bottlerocket and Preston FR look like they would be perfect for what you want to do.

http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/BottleRocket.cfm
Actualy completely not what I want as the bike has to be still downhillable. You can't seriously hit a rock or root section on a 140mm bike. I want a flickable bike that can still do dh. That's why I'm looking at furious as it has very agile geo yet still is strong and has 7'' of travel.