Quantcast

Canberra World Cup

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
What is this 4x you speak of?

4x has become so hit and miss on how good the race is depending on the course it is not that exciting. As Cedric said about Canberra the only place to pass was the first corner. The way I see it if you can't pass after the first corner you might as well put the finish right after it. Where is the fun following someone hoping the crash so you can get around them?

I do think Dual slalom could make a strong comeback. The racing can be much tighter. The races are never over until both riders have crossed the finish of the second run. I do not hear as many people racing 4x for the fun of it. With Dual slalom it seems like people will race just for fun. The races I attended this year that had a Dual or a 4x along with the DH to me I see more people enter the dual for fun and something to do. The 4x is more dedicated 4x racers.

pinkgoat

Chimp
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
You guys all suck. Too much s#!t talk, not enough about the fun that was had or the atmospehere.
The weekend was amazing. Crowds were incredible. EVERYBODY HAD A BLAST, including all the riders. That has to count for something right?

Ill give you a brief rundown of some antics where i was standing at tripple treat:

Copius amounts of Beer.

Fireworks.

Spraying beer on the scout rider (canberra local) as he came past.

An airhorn so loud officials stopped them from using it.

Frisbees crowd to crowd across between riders (including jonniers run).

Epic esky's (check litter).

Douchebag marshall stopping the fun and subsequently getting 3 cans of beer thrown in his face.

Beer runs across the track in between riders.

Cowboy line dancing contests waiting for riding to come.

Some of the most intense cheering you have ever witnessed.

Watch the freecaster vids (turn the sound off first uurgh) and see what a great weekend was had. You wish you were here!

Last edited:

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
Yeah the cheering was the loudest I've ever heard. I was up at the rock garden and I could hear the cheering so loud, even though I was about 500m away. Insane! When Rennie hit the hot seat the barrage of air-horns, whistles, cheers, etc etc was terrific. Crap track, great atmosphere! Everyone had fun.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Schladming = 2 races for the price of one. I hope somebody keeps Rob Warner beered-up thru the finals. Would be awesome to see Minnaar pull another win off, but he'll likely hang onto the overall and cap a stellar season which included a couple of big DUAL SLALOM wins. I'd bet he wouldn't be disappointed if DS made it to the WC level.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Wow, what a letdown for a WC race :(

I appreciate there needs to be some variation other than Canada and Europe for races, but seriously? Thats not a World Cup track is it? Most UK Regionals are on tougher tracks, with a better gradient.

Kinda glad Freecaster didn't broadcast live, otherwise I would have wasted an hour of my life. Sounds like the crowd was the best bit.

I don't pretend to understand the politics of it all, but they drop places such as Champery for a track like that? What is the logic? One is a true test of skill, the other, well as long as you can get out of the seat & honk the pedals for the last 30 seconds of the race, well it was there for the taking. The 4X, well, probably the less said about that, the better.

Weak event for me, thats a real shame because there should be some rounds down in Auz. And by the sounds of things there are far bigger & better offerings they could have used.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
You guys all suck. Too much s#!t talk, not enough about the fun that was had or the atmospehere.
The weekend was amazing. Crowds were incredible. EVERYBODY HAD A BLAST, including all the riders. That has to count for something right?

Ill give you a brief rundown of some antics where i was standing at tripple treat:

Copius amounts of Beer.

Fireworks.

Spraying beer on the scout rider (canberra local) as he came past.

An airhorn so loud officials stopped them from using it.

Frisbees crowd to crowd across between riders (including jonniers run).

Epic esky's (check litter).

Douchebag marshall stopping the fun and subsequently getting 3 cans of beer thrown in his face.

Beer runs across the track in between riders.

Cowboy line dancing contests waiting for riding to come.

Some of the most intense cheering you have ever witnessed.

Watch the freecaster vids (turn the sound off first uurgh) and see what a great weekend was had. You wish you were here!
I think some of the antics crossed the line at triple treat, there is lighthearted humour and there is downright stupidity.
Especially assaulting a marshall who was there to minimise any chance of disruption to a riders RACE run and giving up their time to do so. Yes throwing cans of beer at someones face is assault!. I hope the offenders once they have sobered up are MAN ENOUGH to fess up and offer an apologie.

All they achieved is a gaurentee that instead of 2 security gaurds at that location this year there will probably be 20 next year. I doubt any BYO alcohol will be tolerated and unruly behaviour will probably result in a trip with the boys in blue, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
FWIW I thought the course looked alright apart from the bottom few hundred metres. Lots of rocks, jumps and a few drops. Doesn't look half as bad as everyone's making out, especially when you bear in mind that videos always make things less extreme!

And - C -, sorry, but most UK regional tracks aren't tougher than that. Some maybe, but certainly not most. Again, I think the video is making the track worse than it looks, and you're focussing on the sprint at the bottom and not the bits further up.

Just my opinion.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I see all three riders in the above pics are running their brakes motostyle. what do you think the percentage is that run them that way? Also is it because of the motorcycle configuration, or is it a Euro thing?
Its a rest of the world thing! I think the US may be the only country who runs them the wrong way round?
Greg Minnaar runs moto from his years of riding moto x before downhill. over here in South Africa, some of us run moto and others run front brake on the left.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
and this all matter because . . . . . ?:crazy:

As for the racing, i'd be curious to see what the results would look like w/out the flat sprint to the line. Minnaar's on top either way but it would be interesting to see just how much time some riders gave up in that section.

Last edited:

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Just got back from my own racing and skipped over the last few pages.

Pack of whingers.

The track looked wicked fun. Obviously the last bit would have tested the fitness of the riders, but the track itself looked well flowy and awesome fun. The crowd really got into it, but then again, they are Aussies.

Good to see a different set of faces on the podium.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Just got back from my own racing and skipped over the last few pages.

Pack of whingers.

The track looked wicked fun. Obviously the last bit would have tested the fitness of the riders, but the track itself looked well flowy and awesome fun. The crowd really got into it, but then again, they are Aussies.

Good to see a different set of faces on the podium.
I thought the track looked pretty decent myself, but the way it was shot with one camera for most of the course was pretty bad, alot of the more interesting terrain seemed to be out of shot because the camera was so low, looking up the hill and everyone looked slow because they were so far away.
After seeing the photos of the rock garden i was looking forward to seeing the footage, but it was out of view.

Definatly needed a few more, or at least better placed cameras.

overall the race gets my thumbs up for being different to the other world cups so there is a good mix of tracks. rachel Atherton gets my :plthumbsdown: for that dig at Tracey on the podium

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Rachel Atherton made a fool out of her self and her sponsors, acting like a child with a one hour poo-poo in her diaper, not getting her gruel in time for mickey mouse.

Apr 8, 2003
kangaroo land.
I think it was a good idea for tracy to wear the skinsuit and it paid off for her, since the coarse is so open and is windy the least resistance the better.
She probably remembered from her experience at the aussie nationals in january how windy it gets on that track. i'm surprised she was the only one.

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Tracy seem to have more windresistance than Rachel anyway, so she was slower no matter what. More squats or something...

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
It seems to me that the athertons are picking up a somewhat bad image due to their behavior in the pits, starting with gee at the worlds and now rachel, its all in the heat of the moment but still not a good way to behave...

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
It seems to me that the athertons are picking up a somewhat bad image due to their behavior in the pits, starting with gee at the worlds and now rachel, its all in the heat of the moment but still not a good way to behave...
Agreed. While they are an awesome family of riders, it has become apparent that they are sore losers and not very gracious winners.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
Lets get a few things straight:

Yes the finish was crap
Yes the hill is tiny when you drive out there

However they have done a good job of it. Its not the best world cup track
but it is challenging and enjoyable to ride. Plus it has the best infrastructure to hold an event of this type here in Oz.
The atmosphere on the hill was great, even during the practice the whole hill erupted for any rider, overall a very successful event which i think was shown.

All the riders I spoke to afterwards said the same thing, fun track to ride, that was challenging, only the finish was crap. It definately was challenging especially to ride it race pace (ask Matti he found out the hard way). Plus the ever changing conditions from the moon dust to rain and mud on race day. The videos on freecaster really dont give off the tech sections.

On the 4x side all i can say is meh
The only real reason most people enjoyed it was because they were hammered after waiting a few hours in the rain for it to start. Great atmosphere of apparently 4000 punters but i still dont understand whats the point of it if the tracks resemble more BMX then proper mtb track with rocks etc. Thats what i think 4x should be.

And Minaar just smashed it looked super quick all weekend along with Rennie, i guess that shows in the end results.

Moments of the world cup
- the silence on the hill as everyone was trying to listen to the one radio in their area or the reaction of the crowd at the finish line whether Rennie got the hot seat, then the massive cheer going up the hill

- riding the downhill of the XC course was just pure bliss

- Cedric's drunken rumblings "dont wash your hand after toilet, you put it in woman's mouth"

Here are some of the pics i got with the point n shoot

Superfans

Cedric doing what he does best, he didnt get anywhere though

Broken Matti still managed a smile at the pub

Last edited:

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
Good on Tracy for using a skin suit. People are running 3 bolts in a rotor to save weight and yet they could just swallow their fashion pride and go with something that has an obvious advantage on windy or long and open courses. This is the WC, not friggin Milan.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
^Yes, the women should definitely wear skinsuit. Looks good, just like in Milano. ;)

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
I was so bummed to not see this one covered the way some of the others have been this year. I don't care what people have to say about the course. A worldcup is a worldcup and the riders will always bring their A game to win regardless. That alone makes me want to see it live. Obviously there is a considerable expense to do a production like this and it sounded like the real issue was internet connectivity.

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but if I could be reasonably assured that there would be good coverage of the course and reliable streaming, I would be willing to pay a reasonable subscription fee for this if necessary. I know there are sponsors involved but if the coverage could be suplimented (i.e. more cameras) through paid subsciptions I'm in.

x