Quantcast

Canberra World Cup

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
It sounds like Peat would of been up there but was blown off course by the wind at one the bottom doubles.

ya

Peaty says via one fast motha':
“I felt really good, had a good qualifier and felt strong for the finals. I had a really good run all the way down and was felling pretty strong and pedaling hard at the last jump to jump it like normal but a big gust of wind just came and blew me off and I landed with a foot off, landed and slide sideways on the landing and just lost all my speed and came in a bag of s—t.”

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Ok, let's hope freecaster mirrors the quality of coverage they had during the Worlds for the WC finals. The last few were kinda disappointing. Can we all paypal Freecaster like $5 a piece as an incentive for them to put more cameras on the cool spots to better cover each run? Still cool to watch a WC race going down at Fontana though.

I still heart Rob Warner.

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Ok, let's hope freecaster mirrors the quality of coverage they had during the Worlds for the WC finals. The last few were kinda disappointing. Can we all paypal Freecaster like $5 a piece as an incentive for them to put more cameras on the cool spots to better cover each run? Still cool to watch a WC race going down at Fontana though.

Do they take donations?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca

Won't you admit that all of the freecaster EURO events have been pretty much outstanding? (I did not get to see canuck rounds live, but, Slovenia, Andorra, Worlds....were RAD).
Think it's safe to say Austria will be over the top.

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
1 2 MINNAAR Greg RSA19811113 SCB 1224
2 1 HILL Samuel AUS19850721 MER 1108
3 3 ATHERTON Gee GBR19850226 ANC 1037
4 4 PEAT Steve GBR19740617 SCB 952
5 6 BAREL Fabien FRA19800726 SUB 609
6 5 KOVARIK Chris AUS19780301 CRC 587
7 10 RENNIE Nathan AUS19810531 SCB 563
8 7 BLENKINSOP Samuel NZL19881028 YET 544
9 9 LEOV Justin NZL19841020 YET 502
10 8 CAMELLINI Julien FRA19840107 CRC 437

Current overall standings if anyone is interested...

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Won't you admit that all of the freecaster EURO events have been pretty much outstanding? (I did not get to see canuck rounds live, but, Slovenia, Andorra, Worlds....were RAD).
Think it's safe to say Austria will be over the top.
I agree with you Craig. The Worlds coverage is like the benchmark for me, imo. The Canuck racing coverage seemed pretty lazy compared to the Euro races. I don't mean to sound like a whining lil bitch about something that is offered for free. I'm far from it. I appreciate what Freecaster has done and is doing. I even offered a donation idea if that would be an incentive for them to provide a better coverage.

anyways....racing is still very cool.

wrestlemania

Chimp
Aug 22, 2008
sector 7g
wow the footage for this race looks as if it were in slow motion compared to any of the other races I was wondering if anybody knew the length of this course compared to the others?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Wel I got to say, I don't know what Minnaar got up to in the off season, but a 3rd WC win this year suggests he did something right! And 5s margin? Good effort! :)

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
If you would replace Minnaar with Hill, all the fanboys would be on here talking about his dominating performance. Interesting how when someone else(not Hill) wins by a good margin no says much about it.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I agree with you Craig. The Worlds coverage is like the benchmark for me, imo. The Canuck racing coverage seemed pretty lazy compared to the Euro races. I don't mean to sound like a whining lil bitch about something that is offered for free. I'm far from it. I appreciate what Freecaster has done and is doing. I even offered a donation idea if that would be an incentive for them to provide a better coverage.

anyways....racing is still very cool.
I hear ya....I will add that when it comes to racing, (Coverage and putting on events) seems the Euros still have it down.

And holy crap to Greg M

APIOQM

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
Wel I got to say, I don't know what Minnaar got up to in the off season, but a 3rd WC win this year suggests he did something right! And 5s margin? Good effort! :)
He was training in South Africa with Peaty according to F1rst.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
wow these announcers sucked, but one line was funny.

when rennie was on course, "hes got the best choppa (chopper reid) in the business" "look at those choppers"

well thats the fake chopper, but still good.

youtube chopper reid for some funny stuff!

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I just watched the freecaster coverage, wow that course was horrible. It might be a decent course for riding and regional racing but for a World Cup:huh: I did not even watch all three videos because they did not hold my interest. I personally like the starting platform. Would the riders be even moving if they did not have that platform?

It makes waiting for next years Worlds very unsuspenful. Lets just hope there is not a down pouring of rain during Worlds. If there is I think running the course would be faster than riding.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
If you would replace Minnaar with Hill, all the fanboys would be on here talking about his dominating performance. Interesting how when someone else(not Hill) wins by a good margin no says much about it.
Is it just me, or is the only thing more annoying than fanboys, people whinging all the time about aforementioned fanboys? :p

(Or is it the people who whinge about the whingers that are the worse? ;))

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I just watched the freecaster coverage, wow that course was horrible. It might be a decent course for riding and regional racing but for a World Cup:huh: I did not even watch all three videos because they did not hold my interest. I personally like the starting platform. Would the riders be even moving if they did not have that platform?

It makes waiting for next years Worlds very unsuspenful. Lets just hope there is not a down pouring of rain during Worlds. If there is I think running the course would be faster than riding.
The course was perfect for a world cup...we are finding out who the best all around world cup champion is....on all sorts of tracks.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle

He had a pretty big operation on his shoulder if I remember correctly, didn't it keep popping out of joint all last year?

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Semi Final Points Final Points
1st 50 200
2nd 40 160
3rd 30 140
4th 25 125
5th 20 110
6th 16 95

Hill must win both Semi and Final and Greg not be a top 5....for me very difficult .
Where has Greg come in the past at schladming? top 5? I would love to see him take the overall.

s.hill02

Chimp
Feb 2, 2008
Worst world cup venue by far..........

1.terrible annoucers, where was warner?
2.no split times...you didn't know how they were doing until they crossed the finish line.
3.lame course....that course reminded me of ontario riding, no tech at all. It was all about who could pedal all the way down. You know the course is bad when only minaar could clear the last jump and everyone else was cassing it.

definatley should not have a wc venue there again!!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Where has Greg come in the past at schladming? top 5? I would love to see him take the overall.
01. hill
02. gee
03. minnaar

01. hill
02. rennie
03. minnaar

01. hill
02. kovarik
03. rennie
04. minnaar

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
The course was perfect for a world cup...we are finding out who the best all around world cup champion is....on all sorts of tracks.
All this whinining about being a poor course reminds me of how all the Nascar fans complain about the road courses. I think Stik is correct. the couse was different of what is usually run. The stratagies have to be changed, and a different type of abilities come into play. This is just a way to show that the best Rider in the world cup is just that. No matter what is thrown at him he can adapt and win. Looks like this year Greg just may be that rider,

spinner

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Australia
Worst world cup venue by far..........

1.terrible annoucers, where was warner?
2.no split times...you didn't know how they were doing until they crossed the finish line.
3.lame course....that course reminded me of ontario riding, no tech at all. It was all about who could pedal all the way down. You know the course is bad when only minaar could clear the last jump and everyone else was cassing it.

definatley should not have a wc venue there again!!
1. Agreed , very much so !
2. Also agreed.
3. Lame compared to all the other WC venues for sure , but it had tech. Watching the top 3 vids from freecaster made it look easy though and the cameras missed the rock gardens up top. The track had 2 moto whoop sections that would nail you if you got the rhythm wrong. Ask Matti about that. Most of the riders agreed it was a fun track to ride (except the last pedally bit) Sure , not a great WC venue , but personally I thought the track was pretty good as far as having a WC "character" to it. The wet conditions didn't make it any better.

Attachments

Rory

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Talking of a close world cup season, I was bored this morning.

Based on combined times for qualifying and finals for the season (except worlds), after Bromont Peaty and Gee were separated by 0.07sec and after Canberra qualifying Minnaar and Hill were separated by 0.03sec.

As it stands now combined times for the season for qualifying and finals are Minnaar 2451.67sec, Hill 2460.89sec, Peaty 2468.82sec, and Gee 2469.84sec after 28.04 km of racing...

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I'm not sure I agree with the complaints about the course. It definitely rewarded the most fit rider. It was shot horribly boring, so you really couldn't get a feel for it. But, i do agree with the smack talk against the announcers. Come on guys, you're no Rob Warner come up with your own style.

top_dog

Monkey
Jan 27, 2006
Australia
3rd - Gee Atherton

2nd - Nathan Rennie

1st - Greg Minnaar

P.S.

I have to apologise for size of the pics for small monitor users:redface:
And also for the ****house grey sky. It's meant to be sunny in Australia.:nopity:

Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
I see all three riders in the above pics are running their brakes motostyle. what do you think the percentage is that run them that way? Also is it because of the motorcycle configuration, or is it a Euro thing?