Quantcast

Can you save brake pads if they get fork oil on them?

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
My old 125R let loose with some fork oil and got on the brake pads (one was metal and the other one fiber). Can these be cleaned and saved? They're pretty much brand new! Thanks...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
take a file / sandpaper to them (edit - to remove the contaminated surface). won't make them any less functional than they currently are, so it couldn't hurt.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Um, a file and sandpaper will not remove the oil. Oil soaks in, it's in more than just the "surface layer". Acetone is the only right way to do it. I forget exactly why, but rubbing alcohol doesn't quite break down the oil nearly as well, but every time I've used acetone the results have been good. You can't leave it in more than a few hours though because it may eat away at the pad backing and start to dissolve the pad material, but usually it's not a problem if you just give it a few hours.

Be sure to put the rotor in the acetone too, because it has oil on it as well.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Um, a file and sandpaper will not remove the oil. Oil soaks in, it's in more than just the "surface layer". Acetone is the only right way to do it. I forget exactly why, but rubbing alcohol doesn't quite break down the oil nearly as well, but every time I've used acetone the results have been good. You can't leave it in more than a few hours though because it may eat away at the pad backing and start to dissolve the pad material, but usually it's not a problem if you just give it a few hours.

Be sure to put the rotor in the acetone too, because it has oil on it as well.
oh that's right. derp. kinda out of it today. completed spaced out and was thinking of glazed pads.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've had good luck with soaking contaminated brake pads in isopropyl alcohol overnight and then letting them dry out for a day.

ruralrider

Chimp
Nov 22, 2011
NY
I put my pads in the oven and baked the oil off of them, worked great. Try something like 300f for 10 minutes.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
Read an article from Stick man in Dirt mag years ago and the trick is to put under the broiler till they are
Smokin. tried once or twice it does work.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Small amount of denatured alcohol in a small metal dish or tin can. Drop in the pads, set them on fire for a minute or two till the fuel burns away. Fish out the pads and let sit until cool.

You're welcome.

baca262

Monkey
Aug 16, 2011
you can burn the oil away on the metal one using gas stove or something like that until it stops burning/smoking but the fiber one will take some work - boil in water, then alcohol.

I went through about every variation on this theme a few years back and finally decided that none of the proposed cures work very well - after baking or boiling or whatever, I got some recovery of function, but never really right, and after the lining on one pad shattered in use after treatment I decided that new pads are a much better idea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ok, so I was able to find the material: the alcohols are polar solvents and great at mixing with water, not as great at dissolving oils. You need a less polar solvent, like acetone.

Some of these solutions (as always) are pretty ridiculous. Like oil is going to care about 300 degree oven temps? Maybe if it gets hot enough (broil? idk?), but then you got residue left over anyways. Boiling water? Seriously? Set them on fire? Why? I'm just going to start making up stuff from now on for this question.

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Set them on fire? Why?
Someone suggested it to me long ago. I tried it. It worked. That's why.

And it's fun to set sh1t on fire, even if it doesn't work. I mean you'd need new pads anyway, might as well burn something.

I actually recommend setting something on fire if your brake pads are not contaminated.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Someone suggested it to me long ago. I tried it. It worked. That's why.

And it's fun to set sh1t on fire, even if it doesn't work. I mean you'd need new pads anyway, might as well burn something.

I actually recommend setting something on fire if your brake pads are not contaminated.
Well, to be honest, I did buy some magnesium this weekend just because I want to light some things on fire.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
Ok, so I was able to find the material: the alcohols are polar solvents and great at mixing with water, not as great at dissolving oils. You need a less polar solvent, like acetone.

Some of these solutions (as always) are pretty ridiculous. Like oil is going to care about 300 degree oven temps? Maybe if it gets hot enough (broil? idk?), but then you got residue left over anyways. Boiling water? Seriously? Set them on fire? Why? I'm just going to start making up stuff from now on for this question.
Yep. Here's something I posted about this a few years ago:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f19/oil-your-pads-heres-sure-fire-fix-121163/

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
i got brake fluid on the pads one time on a riding/camping trip, started howling to all ****. i had a propane torch with me for starting fires and hit them with that, seemed to do the trick. these were metallic pads btw.