Quantcast

Can it be done?

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
Looking to find out if my Vivid Air can be reduced from 8.75 to 7.75 to fit my Remedy. Just a thought since it is now going to be sitting around my shop. I did like it on my Session but since I have a vivid w/ ti coil I figured I would like it just as much on my trail bike. Will this work or is it just wishful thinking?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Looking to find out if my Vivid Air can be reduced from 8.75 to 7.75 to fit my Remedy. Just a thought since it is now going to be sitting around my shop. I did like it on my Session but since I have a vivid w/ ti coil I figured I would like it just as much on my trail bike. Will this work or is it just wishful thinking?
I think your limiting factor would be the overall compressed i2i measurement. If the compressed i2i of your 8.75" and 7.75" are equal than you can just put it in with no pressure, then pump it up.

If the i2i's aren't equal, I would just go get another frame to put that shock into.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
I don't mean to just compress it, obviously it was built to 8.75 for a reason. My question is can it be internally chopped down or would it just be cheaper to get a new one or try and bid my time until I can swap it.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What's the stock shock on the Remedy, 7.875x2.25? You should be able to space your Vivid down to the right eye to eye with a spacer under the top out bumper, but you're then going to have a really short stroke and a lot less travel.

milohead

Monkey
Dec 9, 2008
Johnson City, Tn
You should be able to space your Vivid down to the right eye to eye with a spacer under the top out bumper, but you're then going to have a really short stroke and a lot less travel.
So by doing this I would be taking roughly 9/10's of an inch off my stroke eliminating almost half my travel, correct?

Appreciate the feedback......... anyone want to swap for there 197x57mm?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
Appreciate the feedback......... anyone want to swap for there 197x57mm?
hahaha..... no

In all seriousness though.... I think it would be cheaper and safer to get a new one. That way you don't have to bother with voiding warranties and such if anything catastrophic happens to either the shock or the frame.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'd contact PUSH and ask them to chop the shock down rather than spacing it. Not so long ago there was a thread on MTBR where the PUSH guys stated they had successfully cut down the I2I and stroke of several air shocks.
I'd bet money that they're spacing them down.