Quantcast

Can I ride this?

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Ok, here it is, I'm pretty much old (not OLD but older). At least for the type of riding I do. I have had this frame for about a year, collected a few parts, made a 1400 mile round trip move to NY and back to NC, lost some parts, found some parts and am now really stoked on a burly-ass steel hardtail. I found the stem this evening and was able to assemble the front of this bike. I have some other pieces and parts to put on it, but not nearly enough to get it up and running.

My question is...if you were pushin 40 and looking for a new direction in riding...would ya build it? Would ya ride it? I know these thoughts cross some of your minds once in a while...they damn sure cross mine.

The seat is gone....it sucked.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I had a long steelhead and it was harsh, but fun. It was a little small for trails, but it was fun to throw around.

I have a Mountain Cycle Rumble now and it's a lot more trail friendly. I'm only 36 though.

huckleberry

Chimp
Jan 24, 2003
not unless you want to hurt yourself. i'm thirty and been doing since i was a small guy and i know i'll be quiting soon

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Screw age.....there is a guy that is 40 and race pro DH over here....don't let it limit you

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
I just turned 35 this week & i am loving a FS bike.
Hardtails just don't do it for me anymore. Unless it's for 4x because the tracks are smooth & your not sitting on the seat.

Ride that thing & sell it if you don't like it.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Ok, here it is, I'm pretty much old (not OLD but older). At least for the type of riding I do. I have had this frame for about a year, collected a few parts, made a 1400 mile round trip move to NY and back to NC, lost some parts, found some parts and am now really stoked on a burly-ass steel hardtail. I found the stem this evening and was able to assemble the front of this bike. I have some other pieces and parts to put on it, but not nearly enough to get it up and running.

My question is...if you were pushin 40 and looking for a new direction in riding...would ya build it? Would ya ride it? I know these thoughts cross some of your minds once in a while...they damn sure cross mine.

The seat is gone....it sucked.
I have a Steelhead and am heading towards 41, so go for it! I have used it for everything from dj to ds to trail as a ss bike. Admittedly, I suck at dj'ing, but that hasn't stopped me from trying; and age shouldn't be a factor for you unless it's tied to bodily deterioration. I started dh racing @ 38, so why not ride a burly ht and hit some jumps? Just start with your own comfort level and let it grow from there. - Jim.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Build it and ride! Find a long 410mm seatpost for the times when you want to take it out for a trail ride. It'll be heavy, but it should be pretty versatile.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
A buddy had one rust from the inside out and finally cracked the chainstay. There are no drainage holes drilled in that frame...

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Thanks for all the replies...even the ones where ya call me pvssy. I'm going to get it finished up soon. All I've ridden for the past 3 years is my Stinky and am not feeling the love with that bike right now. Wallowing in 12 inches of springs and oil has it's moments, but lately I've been avoiding riding because of it.

I was looking at some 4x style bikes and a couple of AM bikes too. I think for the same money I can build the Steelhead AND overhaul the Kona with some lighter parts (think Coil-air Dee-lux) and be happy with my bike stable again.

The BB came with the bike and will stay until it craps out. The DJI is steel and waaay heavy, I have a Manitou Super Black also that I might try. I'll probably run it as a SS, I'm tired of shifting. I have a set of Mavic 321's and will most likely run some Holy Rollers. All I really need is divetrain and brakes.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
In Aridzona?
Exactly.

It was prolly from many drinks being spilled on it.

Bush, I dunno why there's 12 inches of anything on a Stinky (refrains from referencing my penis), and constant upgrades are needed with any bike you beat.

My 04 Stinky rolled 3 hours of street today followed by 3 hours of Irish Pub duty.

God bless her:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Thanks for all the replies...even the ones where ya call me pvssy. I'm going to get it finished up soon. All I've ridden for the past 3 years is my Stinky and am not feeling the love with that bike right now. Wallowing in 12 inches of springs and oil has it's moments, but lately I've been avoiding riding because of it.

I was looking at some 4x style bikes and a couple of AM bikes too. I think for the same money I can build the Steelhead AND overhaul the Kona with some lighter parts (think Coil-air Dee-lux) and be happy with my bike stable again.

The BB came with the bike and will stay until it craps out. The DJI is steel and waaay heavy, I have a Manitou Super Black also that I might try. I'll probably run it as a SS, I'm tired of shifting. I have a set of Mavic 321's and will most likely run some Holy Rollers. All I really need is divetrain and brakes.
The lowers are magnesium. It's the steer tube that is steel, which I prefer. Pikes that have steel steer tubes are still light, so it's not just that.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Bush, I dunno why there's 12 inches of anything on a Stinky (refrains from referencing my penis), and constant upgrades are needed with any bike you beat.

My 04 Stinky rolled 3 hours of street today followed by 3 hours of Irish Pub duty.

God bless her:
I rock the same exact bike, I have a z-1 for a fork and still running the stock vanilla r. Don't get me wrong...I love her too and has served me well. The 12 inches thing was just the 6 front and 6 rear...it used to be 13 when I had the Jr T on it. It is steadily getting lighter because all the paint is falling off around the cable guides and water bottle mounts. Not so happy about that, may be time for a paintjob.

What size is yours? XL? mines a large and looks pretty small compared to yours. Not yer pecker either...:rolleyes:

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
I haven't posted here in approximately three forevers, but here goes. Build it, ride it, love it. I can't believe you honestly feel like you needed to ask.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Go for it.

35, and I just bought Tigg's Steelhead and am going full rigid with it. I want something quicker on the jumps than my Preston. That ought to do it.

I agree with you on the size.....it's a large, but barely 22in on the top tube.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm almost 38 and find that with each year I care less and less what other people think. I ride for myself and that's pretty much it.

If you want someone to tell you "no", try the local county club or maybe the PTA. There might be some people who will tell you that you are too old, but I'm really glad to see they are not here on the Monkey.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Dude. You're too old to ride that. You should get a recumbent, and a walker.

Then send that frame to me. My 36 year old ass needs a new hardtail. (That sounds dirty :think: )

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Shoot, I started DH this past summer and I just turned 44. Beats me to death but when I'm riding, I giggle like a 12 year old looking at his first Playboy.

Ride it. Age only counts for wines and if it's safe to eat.